Spoilers Episode 7 "Nepenthe"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Feb 28, 2020.

?

Rate 1x07 Nepenthe

1. 10 - Wild Beard Riker

109 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. 9

95 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 8

53 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 7

21 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 6

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 5 - Full Beard Riker

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. 4

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  10. 1 - Season 1 Riker

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wouldn't - but given she's a medical doctor too (yeah I think that's stretching it too, but her character is); she would have the authority (from Rios) to override whatever she needs to as hey, SHE'S A DOCTOR. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    SolarisOne and DaveyNY like this.
  2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's a doctorate of cybernetics, not medicine. The MD's only in the noncanon novel, which is about as canon as say, Star Trek Countdown is now.

If Jurati's a medical doctor in Picard due to a non-canon novel, then the supernova that destroyed Romulus was Hobus due to a non canon comic. You can't pick and choose your noncanon.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

She seemed to do pretty well with Maddox (IE - yes, she was able to use the equipment to find out exactly what the Syndicate did to him, and started the correct treatments; and only when everyone left/no one was looking (save the EMH who somehow didn't report anything); she stopped so Maddox would die.

As far as Rios and everyone else there was concerned, she was the medical doctor now on his ship.

4. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The odd part is that her twin sister, Dahj, immediately felt a sense of trust when she met Picard and was drawn to find Picard after she was activated, and the pilot episode even explained that it was because of her having Data's neuron and Data's connection to Picard. Sohji also has Data's neuron essence so logically she should also have that same subconscious trust for Picard.

5. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are yet again inventing a problem.

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Dear God...the key grip who worked on episode 2 and 3 can't wipe his runny nose on his sleeve without pissing off a LARGE chunk of the fanbase.

I doubt anyone cares about pissing off the fanbase at this point. At least, they shouldn't.

7. Yistaan

You do know that won't get anywhere in the real world right? Pharmacies aren't going to start prescribing risky stuff on behalf of someone who has medical knowledge but no MD. Why would a replicator?

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It isn't, and we've seen the federation refuse to do things to help people before because it was illegal.

It won't be.

SolarisOne and SJGardner like this.
  9. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

I really, really doubt we're going to be seeing Riker and Troi again this season...Jon Frakes said they more or less filmed their stuff for Picard in less than a day

10. Yistaan

Hey he spoiled the Mirror stuff for Discovery, CBS probably threatened to put him in the brig if he spoiled anything else.

Jonathan del Arco tweeted he hoped Guinan and Hugh would meet in Season 2. He already knew Hugh was very dead.

I think we can't trust what they say because they are trying to hide spoilers.
    I noticed that too. Maddox could have explained how they were different. With him dead, he can't. And Soji was predicted as the destroyer while no one said anything about Dahj. Hmm...

ITDUDE likes this.
  11. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

I just read it as Soji's psychological trauma blocking any feelings of trust she may have had, because she doesn't know what's real anymore. Dahj was confused and scared but wasn't doubting her very existence at the point she approached Picard.

Llywela, SolarisOne, DaveyNY and 2 others like this.
  12. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one is a Vulcan concept that the entire Federation has adopted.

Was it reactionary to ban synths? Yes, but tens of thousands of people had just died....It's unreasonable to think that they'd reverse an entire policy to save one child.

SJGardner likes this.
  13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do you know she didn't override the safeties? She didn't use voice commands she just tapped the panel.

SolarisOne, DaveyNY and SJGardner like this.
  14. Yistaan

Except it was quite obvious Dahj was specifically programmed to trust Picard. Dahj even said she never saw him before.

Why didn't Soji get this programming?
    That's very possible.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dahj also had the "mom" AI telling her to go find Picard. So for some reason Dahj was programmed to seek out Picard.

Kor

SJGardner likes this.
  16. Yistaan

The Mom only said that after Dahj contacted him. Dahj was programmed to trust Picard, as an insurance once she activated. Soji did not have this programming. I think this may be a very important point as time goes on. I know the writers can be sloppy, but I think this plot point is intended.

17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed...or they may have been created for different purposes, and therefore have different "programming"

18. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

Maybe since they were on two very different missions they were programmed with different "instincts" or whatever you call it as a means of self-preservation.

Longinus likes this.
  19. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Dahj was 'stationed' on Earth, where Picard was as well. So it made sense to have her programmed to seek him. Would have helped Soji way less if she was threatened at the Artefact.

SolarisOne and SJGardner like this.
  20. Yistaan

The irony being Soji has far more reason than Dahj, even without any "programming", to know who Picard is. The Borg she worked with have a huge history with Picard. The Daystrom Institute, not so much.