Enterprise Pic

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bdb, Jan 17, 2008.

1. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good Golly, I can see the bowling alley!

2. 182

182 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks for posting the links to Gabe's pix, this is the first time I'm seeing them. And I must say, I like it. To me it looks like the perfect blend of old while still keeping it looking like the producers actually HAD a budget and are in the 21st century. Gabe's ship has got bulky older looking nacelles that look wicked, and keeps some of the old school with the deflector dish (which looks just as wicked). I'd love it if the ship in the movie looked just like Gabes.

Edit: clarified

3. Phyzzx

Phyzzx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Where'd you see the deflector dish?

4. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

He was talking about Gabe's ship. Confused me the first time I read it too.

5. Phyzzx

Phyzzx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Whew! I thougth I missed another pic! :)

6. AudioBridge

AudioBridge Captain Captain

Fantastic work, Ancient! Thanks to what you've shown us we can see that this ship is significantly different than the real 1701. Those engines look more like the tailfins off a 1950s Cadillac mixed with a 1960s Stingray corvette. Aside from the fact that they're cylindrical they are drastically different from the engines we know. And the saucer is clearly meant to favor the refit 1701. Sure, this looks kewl, but I'm disappointed. It's not the ship I know, but Abrams crew never intended it to be.

Vektor's "reimagining" of the 1701 is far better, imho.

7. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, come on. Everyone knows that's under the hanger deck in the engineering module. ;)

8. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At his point, I've seen so many variations on the original--so many Refits, Miradas, Excelsiors, Galaxies, Ambassadors, Sovereigns, Oberths, so many fan-tweaked "refinements" ranging from the subtle (Starship Polaris, Vektor) to the radical (Gabriel Koerner) that the only design that would have floored me, would have caused me to utter a Neonian "whoa!" would have been the original.

This ship? She's nice but...

9. V

V Commodore Commodore

and so it begins...

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

And if there's no bowling alley, I am boycotting this movie! :devil:

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I'm boycotting because the font is different.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It's the same font Franz Joseph used on his Constitution drawings.

13. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Actually, the 'steps' are quite different. On Gabe's, it's a difference in the gradiant, but it still flows from the saucer. On the Abramprise, it's at a sharp angle and has a sharper chamfer. Also, it's inset so that it's lying on a flat surface.

The only real similarities that I see to Gabe's version is the nacelle's and the slightly more solid intercooler (though Gabe's doesn't flow into the hull nearly so much). Of course, this is based off of saying maybe 20% of the ship; who knows, the secondary hull might be completely different!

Which is why I'm withholding judgment on the design as a whole, until I see the entire thing. I do admit that I like what I see a good bit--I was half afraid that we'd get an overgreebled Star Wars-like monstrosity, or something like BSG, which works for that show but not Trek IMO--but until we see more of the ship, it's pointless to try and say whether or not we like it or not.

14. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I am suprised they've been so faithful to the saucer section (well, from what we can make out).

I've never liked the proportions of the orginal Enterprise, so I am absolutely *loving* those meaty nacelles.

:thumbsup:

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Looks awesome! :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing the whole thing. :)

16. Proximity_Phaser

Proximity_Phaser Commander Red Shirt

Where's the sails?

You kids, get off my lawn!

17. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I'm liking this version quite a bit. I think it's a perfect blend of TMP and TOS ships. Which is what I expected the Trek 11 team to do. I'm not concerned about the font, because I'm sure that was just placed there so the movie audiences had some clue what they were looking at.

18. mada101

mada101 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think it looks a little...well, boring, really. Generic 21st century sci-fi stuff, though I wasn't expecting anything else really. But as long as most people are happy, I guess that's what counts :) Who's for blue buzzard collectors? I think it would suit the new look nicely.

On another note, I think it's becoming pretty clear now that this is a reboot. The ship in that picture can't really be fitted into the existing timeline prior to TOS.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes it can, just refit the ship.

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Simply gorgeous. I'm in loooooooooooooooove.