Enterprise Pic

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bdb, Jan 17, 2008.

1. rideop1

rideop1 Ensign Newbie

I never realized my George Lucas statement would evoke so much defensive demeanor. I could care less if they built the Enterprise in orbit, or in Detroit at the GM plant. i was just stating what i have read. My concern is the redesign of the Enterprise. but that seems to foster alot of shit too. I am sure there are many people out there that would agree with what I have said. just as there are many who would agree with anyone on here about their views. Hollywood is going to do whatever it feels like despite what anyone in these forums say. I just come in here to vent. when it comes to Star Trek, I'm Old School.

2. Capt.April

Capt.April Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree completly.. I think it was "any sufficiantly advanced technology would be indestingueshible from magic" (excuse the spelling).

Aridas..is that "Zippy the pinhead?!!" I love him! 'am I marketed yet?'
    Go Zippy!!! (now 'he' needs a movie)

3. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Yes, it did.

4. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You might not believe this, but so am I... Out of all the series, the original and those movies "feel right to me" (but that might because they were more about people at their heart) but that doesn't mean I'm agianst change or even a re-interruption of what came before. Hours and hours of Star Trek beat one thing into my head - don't dismiss something out of hand just because it different or new.

Before I start coming down on someone for their artistic choices, I at least want to give them a chance and you know actually fail first. Even then I'd be remiss to do so since as fans its always easy to armchair direct/produce when nothings much at stake for us compared to actually sitting down and writing a script or making artistic choices that cost a studio money and time.

The least Trekkian concept around this place is the idea of a "purist".

Sharr

5. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

WOW!!!! :thumbsup:

I love the blue glow, but it's probably only the lighting.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Your notion is irrelevant.

ModernTrek violated plenty of established trek history and tradition (like the no turning in warp nonsense from VOYAGER, when warp maneuvers are key to TOS battles and the intercept in TMP.)

7. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yow! That's right! And if this next movie doesn't meet my trekspectations, I might just become a full time Pinhead! [​IMG]

8. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Good work, it looks pretty accurate, based on the trailer stuff.

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

And I think that's something that fans forget. George Clayton Johnson, writer of "The Man Trap" and co-writer of Logan's Run (the novel), stated in an interview once that Star Trek was in a similar vein to the Captain Future stories of the 1930s. Trek, especially TOS, was greatly influenced by what came before it and some of what was contemporary with it. It is the synthesis of all the sub-genres of science fiction; it has been speculative, military sf, hard and soft sf, and a great deal of space opera. In fact, I have come to view Trek, both aired/filmed and lit, as another sub-genre of science fiction.

10. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has got me all excited, properly excited. Ive not been like this since my anticipation for the "big reveal" of Enterprise, only to be disappointed and, well, kinda pissed off that my imagination had been robbed of its creativeness for a brief few moments.

Seriously though, its got me all excited. The outer CG shots look amazing. Always wanted to see this ship "under construction" and this is just what i imagined, well sort of.

Its very industialised though, going by the teaser trailer. Kind of reaching out the non-trek-fans i suppose, but i agree with a few others, its very nuBSG.

Nice way of picking out the details. I still dont understand the need for the overuse of detail. By that i mean, its almost OTT. Look at the bridge dome/housing, its stacked dome after dome. Theres three domes on that thing.

Why do we need three domes?

Yeah, i know, its cool to have detail. But seriously, even TMP era Enterprise had one dome on top of the main housing.

Or, one big ass observation deck. :drool:

Or torpedo launchers. :thumbsup:

Or thrusters for maneuvering the bridge module. :cool:

Or, even just sensors.

11. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

There's actually onscreen precedent for building things like starships using something like transporter technology: Genisis.

Spock stated to McCoy that Genisis "would destroy such life, in favor of its new matrix." It's a easy to see that Genisis would make use of transporter technology to beam in the old matter and reorder into a "new matrix" that was selected by the user.

Of course, things didn't work so well on a planetary or solar system scale (though somehow it worked well enough to bring Spock back to life and his body was stable for decades), but given the success it did have, building a starship in a similar method would be trivial.

12. FlyingTigress

FlyingTigress Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's the Captain's "Ready Room Theater System", with holographic large display -- where he can watch the historical documents from the 20th Century...

"Those poor people."

13. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

:wtf:

on the other hand

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

14. ancient

I pasted together two images from the pan shot to get a more complete look at the underside of the saucer. Unfortunately, because of all the crap in the foreground, I had to do a lot of manipulation. Erasing the background was easy, but there is that huge vertical column on the left...

Anyway, my trace-over turned out looking a little weird. But I am interested in the lower part. It looks like there are six little dots that could be forward-facing phasers. All six are visible, I didn’t mirror that part. There was some slanted thing visible that I erased, but it could be a pylon of the ship. (it's traced in blue on the top image)

[​IMG]

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Technically, all the plaque on the NCC-1701 ever said was "San Francisco." Those shipyards could easily extend to ground-based construction yards in the Mojave/Nevada area. No canon has ever said the ship was originally built in an orbital spacedock or drydock.

16. FlyingTigress

Hmmmm.
    Phaser ports?
    Torpedo launchers?
    Or general "portholes"...?

17. FlyingTigress

The WASTE DISPOSAL PORTS for hand phasers set on "overload"! :guffaw:

18. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

I bow to your superior argument. :vulcan:

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

With that kind of thinking, they couldn't have justified decommissioning the enterprise, they'd just beam a new airlock onto the side of her, beam/swap out some hull plates and she'd be good as new. You guys are throwing some waytoofancy tech at TOS, given what we saw in the films (which were admittedly retro in a lot of ways relative to the series.)

20. ancient

I think the new ship does look similar to Gabe's:

[​IMG]

Gabe's Enterprise is clearly not the same ship, but if I had a tinfoil hat I'd find them disturbingly similar...

And I just noticed that the NCC-1701 on the new ship is off-center. The dash shouldn't be in the middle, it should be to the left of center, like Gabe's.