"Enterprise" or "Star Trek" (2009) — Which Had The Better Cast?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Michael, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Which had the better cast: "Enterprise" or "Star Trek" (2009)?

1. "Enterprise"

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. "Star Trek" (2009)

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Why come here to be offended when you can go to a Mets game. :devil:

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Baseball? Is that like, a board game or something? :D

*runs off to change his facebook profile picture* :alienblush:

3. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

That's a low blow.

4. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I agree though...Mets are bad.
    ...wait so are the Astros...

5. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

If you want to pick on Enterprise, that's one thing ... but my baseball team? That's crossing the line! :klingon:

6. SFRabid

Reds fan here. When the Marge Shott years are remembered fondly you know it has to be bad. The Big Red Machine has rusted away.

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

*You are now aware that every single post on page 5 is about baseball (and completely unrelated to ENT).* :lol:

Uhm... INB4 the [​IMG] ?

-----------
    Okay, okay...

So, here it goes:

Bruce Greenwood >>>> Scott Bakula
    Chris Pine < Scott Bakula (but just barely)
    Zachary Quinto = Jolene Blalock (Quinto is a much better actor in general, but Jolene owned T'Pol)
    Zoe Saldana < Linda Park (Sorry Neytiri, maybe next ime)
    Karl Urban < Connor Trinneer (but also just barely, Urban was awesome)

The rest... Ah, well, its a no contest really. I liked John Billingsley, but... You know... He's not exactly Simon Pegg. Anthony Mont... Anthony who?

All in all, ST09 cast had a task that was deemed impossible by almost everyone, yet they pulled it off. And then some! That's why they win.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bruce Greenwood > Scott Bakula (Greenwood has more presence)
    Chris Pine = Scott Bakula (I think Pine was rather good)
    Zachary Quinto = Jolene Blalock (I agree with your assessment)
    Zoe Saldana > Linda Park (I think Saldana was great, I don't get the hate on this thread)
    Karl Urban < Connor Trinneer (Urban just did a good impression of Kelley - I have to see the sequels to see if he's that good)
    Simon Pegg < John Billingsley (Pegg is a great comedian, but I don't know if he's as good an actor as Billingsley, and if he's suited for the role of Scotty)
    John Cho < Dominic Keating (though it's hard to say since Cho had very little to do in ST09)
    Anton Yelchin > Anthony Montgomery ( I haven't seen Montgomery in anything else, but watch Yelchin in Taken or Terminator: Salvation and there's no doubt here)
    Ben Cross < Gary Graham (Cross is a good actor, but something was lacking in his portrayal of Sarek; maybe it was Lenard's charisma)

Hm, actually it's closer than I thought it would be :shrug: - but that may be because the ST09 cast, while wonderfully chosen, for the most part hasn't had the time to develop their characters yet (I'm reserving my judgment on Cho, Pegg, and, yes, Urban). In sequels, they may get really awesome & wipe the floor with the ENT cast.

Then there's Eric Bana, who should normally tip the scales in favor of St09, but his character was not that great... and ENT has Jeffrey Combs!

...Wait, does Nimoy count? ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about this... I've been watching some ENT on HRT these days... Bakula appears even more wooden than I remembered... Pine, on the other hand, looked almost as if he was born for the role (of an alternate, troubled youth Kirk).

I don't hate her at all, she indeed WAS great. I still prefer Hoshi to her Uhura, but that may yet change.

Yeah, I forgot about Dominic... But like you said, Cho was barely even there, so it's hard to compare those two.

Hmmm... I loved Ben Cross. He really was THE Vulcan of the movie, if you know what I mean. Mark Lenard he was not, but I don't hold that against him.

I belive this to be a safe bet.

Congratulations, you just buried ENT :lol:

10. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I think wooden is an understament for the acting crimes Bakula commited
    Pine was far superior. Born from it Cocky is what he does best and he does it smoothly better than Kirk really with out forcing it.

Hoshi was not very attractive. She seemed to fragile and delicate
    Zoe was dynamic hot and sexy, yet soft and supportive and vibrant. She presence on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Zarchary Quinto delivered a Lenoard Nimoy imitation that was spot on. He didn't deviate much. This was not his personality on screen.

I couldn't figure what was up with Blalocks portrayal. She was the stiffest person I've ever seen on screen. I've never seen a vulcan without a personality.

Yelchin was alright
    I wasn't a fan of Peg but it was decent
    Urban was top notched, some way he was channeling Kelly. I say he was a great student.

It just seem the casting was markely better for the big budget movie and that's how it should be.

11. SFRabid

You have to wonder if Bakula's performance was affected by some of the stupid writing his character had to suffer through during the first two seasons. Can you imagine script day for Bakula? ...

Bakula opening a script: "Hmmm. What do we have this week? Go to the planet of beings that got insulted by seeing us eat and ask them for help. Take Porthos on the away mission and let him piss on their sacred tree. Get mad at the planet because Porthos becomes ill. Come to my senses and apologize by wearing beaded dreadlocks and using a chainsaw. ... ... ... How much am I being paid for this?"

12. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

You're right...I'm seeing the episodes on Sy Fy and it seems the later seasons aren't..AS bad as the beginning. Even T'pol is tolerable

13. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not rewatching ENT since I watched it just a couple of months ago, but I remember that I thought early on that Bakula was awful and Archer annoyed me, but over time he started growing on me and I thought Bakula had gotten much better. (Though he was bad in ITMD. He can't play a bad guy to save his life.) Maybe it was better writing, or settling into the character. I should rewatch some of the episodes on HRT if I find the time to see if I'd still feel the same.

I agree that Pine was excellent, so maybe I should have given him advantage. And - I know this will be sacrilege to some - I found his Kirk more likable than Shatner's. I think it may be because when Pine's Kirk seemed like an ass, it was because the character he was supposed to be acting like an ass, but you could tell he wasn't bad underneath... while Shatner's Kirk would sometimes seem like an ass (to me at least) while the show was trying to paint him as a hero - I think it may be because Shatner's real personality was coming through. :rommie:

14. Drewmax

Drewmax Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Bakula is a great actor, one of Trek's finer picks, he floors any of Star Trek 09's cast by miles. Also T'Pol was a fully fledged Vulcan unlike half breed Spock, she is a truer representation of what it is to be unemotional. I think her interpretation is more valid, certainly not primitive, her character actually evolves.

15. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

No my friend. I've seen better acting out of Bakula and Blalock's acting is like that all the time. It's disturbing.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

You honestly prefer Bakula's Archer to Bruce Greenwood's Pike? :wtf:

But T'Pol is radically different than any other Vulcan we've seen before, not counting Sybok, of course. But then again, who counts Sybok anyway?

I do prefer T'Pol to nuSpock, though. For many reasons, one of them being her looks. :D Still, I declared a tie, because Zack Quinto normally wipes the floor with Jolene Blalock.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  17. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

18. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I think Pine was born for the role as well I really liked his portrayal of a young rebellious cocky Kirk who went from zero to hero in the movie sorry if I am coming into this late.