"Enterprise" or "Star Trek" (2009) — Which Had The Better Cast?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Michael, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Which had the better cast: "Enterprise" or "Star Trek" (2009)?

1. "Enterprise"

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. "Star Trek" (2009)

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. Yug

Yug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Evolution isn't all that simple. There could be a multitude of reasons for the variation in skin tone, even in an Earth bound sense. Perhaps as simple as a recessive gene, a throw back from when Vulcans were darker skinned that only manifests itself along certain blood lines or perhaps every thousand Vulcan births or so, making the dark-skinned Vulcan a rarity, but conceivable.

And/or... Maybe there were two "homo-vulcanian" races co-existing on Vulcan millions of years ago similar to, but not necessarily the same as, Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons from our own prehistoric history. A second tribe of Vulcans whose origins are all together different, and who perhaps had deeper skin tones. Or even single species migrations throughout the planet from one point of origin, developing separately. In either case; as time marched on these tribes finally meet (again, or for the first time) and perhaps merged, mated, and evolved resulting in two (or more) formerly separate, genetically compatible, races now unified but still exhibiting some physical differences.

Or... Perhaps the "black Vulcans" suffer from a genetic skin disorder like a reverse Vitiligo, or a pigment condition similar to albinos on Earth.

Or... Considering also that apparently Vulcans have been a space faring race for the last few thousand some years (or many more), any number of influences could exist. Perhaps a Vulcan colony was founded a few thousand years ago on a sister planet in the same system as Vulcan and developed such protective skin alterations based on what ever environmental influences they may have encountered.

And... Spock mentions that perhaps Vulcans (and Romulans) are themselves ancestors of Sargon's race from "Return to Tomorrow" allowing for other unknown genetic influences to be at play. On that point, while possibly a bit more far fetched, any number of alien races may have had a hand in Vulcan development, in some way and not limited to genetically, beyond planetary conditions developing Vulcan evolution.

There's always realistic plausibities in a sci-fi universe, which may have been taken into consideration when they cast Tim Russ as Tuvok. He was simply perfect for the role first and foremost, after that everything else is left up to the imagination fueling playful speculation. :vulcan:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Aren't Nimoy and Lenard decended from a desert dwelling people? :shifty:

3. KottenFutz

KottenFutz Lieutenant Red Shirt

What about climate change? Vulcan may have been very Earth-like, or even colder. With hot spots and cold areas, seasons and changing weather patterns, maybe even an ice age or two. With inhabitants of every shade and color in primitive times hunting pointy-eared mammoths when their solar system only had duel suns. Then many thousand and thousands of years ago one of their systems gas giants sparked up and became a small third sun altering the planets temp and atmosphere. The planet becomes a desert but the humanoids of all colors on Vulcan adapted.

4. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Yes, well if I were apt to comedic displays I'm sure I could speak according to your methods and language. But I was only stating facts.

As such even a shared genetic history is still a lineage if but only half. I didn't think I had to actually say it...but apparently I did.

Might I point out sir that many Klingons have been made from "white" actors and yet were made quite dark.

Evolution is random chance coupled with selection, because it is the element of chance, YES, there is a multitude of expectations bound by conditions...

MORE importantly we're talking about dominance and majority not recessive traits. None of this however isolates away the deduction that IF humans and vulcans are quite that similar as the TNG episode revealing the connection is then why are not the Dark skin Vulcans not in dominance.

A genetic deformity.

That's interesting I ...vaguely remember this but that's an interesting perspective. But not to...disregard what you've said but I must ask how does this directly impact my statements?

I've never seen Russ act in anything else...I can't claim he's acting himself like the Will Smith of old did in "Fresh Prince of Belair."

5. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you're aware that making black actors light-skinned most likely would not have been treated the same. In other words, I doubt that many people would cry racism because Robert O'Reilly's skin looks darker and accuse Trek of hiding his real skin color, but I'm not sure that it wouldn't have been the case if Tim Russ had had "white" makeup. Heck, didn't that comedy show, whatitsname, accuse TNG of hiding the faces of its black actors behind prosthetics, or however they put it? :cardie: (Yes, it is a weird thing to complain about, and yes, it doesn't really make sense.)

6. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

According to history, actors perceived doing Black Face routines have been the most controversial. The Waynes Brothers did do a film doing "White Face".

But for a serious role I don't know.

7. Yug

But that's the point, other factors could be at play beyond a similarity to humans. Anywhere from climate change (as another poster made note of) or even racial genocide in the early era that barbaric Vulcans were constantly at war with each other... or any other explanation. The speculation is really open ended.

It doesn't, not directly. I'm just exploring alternate theories regarding influences beyond enviromental.

I was refering to the possible mindset of the producer's of Voyager when they cast Russ. I make the assumption that they didn't consult your opinion when making the final casting choices.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  8. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I don't think Vulcans climate has changed too dramatically and canon doesn't speak to it either.

I suppose it's possible that the murder rate would advance certain genetic traits yet several thousand years is enough time for those traits to recede because of environmental influences. I completely expect by this point for the majority to be darker in skin color, despite the larger sized generations.

This is the problem.
    There hasn't been so much as a tanned Vulcan untill Tuvok came along. You it's still unclear how environmental factors influence DNA to change in this most predictable way. It's not exactly a mutation but it's definitely a reaction.

There is a distinct difference in how cells react chemically to stimuli and what is transfered to the reproductive DNA code.

I've always been curious about this.

Gotcha.

Indeed but also obvious.

9. Yug

But neither canon nor your opinion rules it out. So, the possibility still exists, as do many others.

Got me how? I'm free to bring up ideas and go down avenues in my posts that don't directly respond to yours, even if I quote you. I responded to your quote and then I went beyond it.

Yeah, and see I thought it was pretty obvious the first time around too... still do.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I guess you hated Quinto's Spock.

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Which is an odd statement considering how often the Star Trek shows have emphasized how different Vulcans are from humans anatonmically.

I'm still not sure why we even have this whole discussion about Tuvok's skin color, but if one really needs an answer to this, it is probably worth to consider that – according to the oh-so-holy Star Trek canon – Tuvok actually originates from the Vulcanis Lunar Colony; not Vulcan. His skin color could very well be the result of that background.

12. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

My opinion is irrelevant to canon.
    Concerning canon, it doesn't need to rule anything out it merely needs to exist before being valid. There's canon based speculation and then there is just conjecture what-if's and sometimes that's based on reality to fill in the gaps.

Got me how? I'm free to bring up ideas and go down avenues in my posts that don't directly respond to yours, even if I quote you. I responded to your quote and then I went beyond it.

Then what's the point in stating the obvious, if it's not being contradicted?

Negative.
    I found his portrayal accurate and convincing to the Spock Character of TOS.

And yet their skeletal structure is exactly the same
    Their exterior arrangement is markedly similar
    They can make with humans

Which must mean they are of the same genome for it is absolutely unknown for two different genomes to be capable of mating.

So...obviously, not different enough

Wait. Vulcan has no moons.
    Even if it did, what is the genetic explanation for that development?

13. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Maybe there are now black Vulcans because Hollywood chooses not to discriminate when casting those parts. Maybe someday fans will be as accepting.

As humans are not all the same color, neither are cats, dogs, horses, ants, etc... Why should be expect life on other planets to be made up of species without color variants?

14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

What the fuck? On the one hand you only want to consider canon sources, but on the other hand you're always entering your own considerations into the equation. You can't have it both ways with this. Either you accept that Star Trek tells us Vulcans have a different anatomy from humans or you apply your own opinions and come to whatever conclusion you want about their anatomy.

It's pretty simple, really: Star Trek tells us there is an alien species known as Vulcans. Star Trek tells us Vulcans have a different anatomy than humans. Ergo: The dermal coloration of Vulcans does in no way have to work like that of humans.

And? There's nothing saying a settlement called "Vulcanis Lunar Colony" has to be on a Vulcan moon.

15. Yug

Yes... I know.
    Ugh... Yes, and there's nothing wrong with that. In my mind, playful speculation is fun and imaginitive. Until canon depicts otherwise, what's the harm?

And honestly Saquist my friend, all the hair splitting is just becoming tiresome. I just wanna talk about ideas and concepts. But on any level it's very hard to communicate with you so I'm gonna move on, have a nice day. :)

16. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Looking for consistency in canon is haphazard.
    The only conclusion is that I can come to is that which you've already posted. I've seen no better explanation represented in canon

The TNG episode linking all the humanoid species together explains the similarities but then in Vulcan's case just doesn't make make sense when it comes to skin color.

See, it was my understanding that the low profile eyes of the east Asian populations should look similar to vulcans as apparently it's a reaction to light.

"The eyes of the Chinese, Japanese, Eskimos, and other people of Mongoloid (of or pertaining to or characteristic of one of the traditional racial division of humankind including especially peoples of central and eastern Asia) descent are protected by epicanthic folds. These folds, composed of fatty tissue, probably evolved among their forebears inhabiting the Arctic in order to insulate the eye against freezing, and to provide an additional shield against glare from snow and ice."

Good bye.

I assumed that was a spelling Error..Vulcanis /Vulcan's
    still what is the genetic explanation for that development?

17. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

So how 'bout those Mets, eh?

This extended sidebar regarding Vucan pigmentation has been interesting, but it appears to have taken over the thread, and perhaps chased off some folks who might want to discuss the original topic.

It would seem that there will be questions that cannot ever be answered definitively because canon does not specifically address them. In such cases, I think creative speculation can be quite compelling. It's fun to come up with Trekverse-friendly reasons why, for example, Kor looked much darker-skinned than Koloth, but at the end of the day, these are TV shows, and the characters are played by actors selected because of their various talents, and their appearance has a lot to do with casting and makeup artists and prosthetics experts, and everyone's just trying to tell a good story.

(I seem to recall that the Kor reference photos used by the makeup artists were too light, thus the appearance of Koloth.)

Let's steer things back to a comparison of the ST XI cast vs. the Enterprise cast, shall we? If someone wants to start a new thread to continue the analysis of Vulcan evolution, by all means go for it.

This pretty much sums up my take. I think both casts did a good job, for different reasons, such as those cited by bluedana, but I really can't say that one is better than the other. I enjoyed watching them both. :techman:

18. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

It no contest here, i didnt like the so called "new"' trek movie,and ok Enterprise did have more bad moments than good ones,but they try to continue the roddenberry idea of the future, i didnt see in ST09.So i choose enterprsie over st09

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree, those skirts in ST09 just weren't short enough... :shifty:

20. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

Hey ... Hey ... Hey! That's my baseball team you're talking about. Remember ... we don't offend anyone here!

;)