Enterprise is a better show than Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by bobjones, Sep 12, 2022.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those three are literally the only ones who were main cast on TOS, and McCoy didn't even become main cast until the second season. There's no reason why anyone else on that show should or even would be anything other than an "extra."

fireproof78 likes this.
  2. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

DSC hasn't had any Nazi's in it, and I say that is a very good thing.

Richard S. Ta and Lord Garth like this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Terrans are Space Nazis

4. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really can't decide. I thought Season 3 of "ENT" was great, but I really loved Season 1 of "DIS". So . . . I don't know.

5. TerryTrek

TerryTrek Captain Captain

I like the cast of Enterprise way more, Connor and Dominic have become fan faves.

However, objectively, I have to consider both Enterprise and Discovery as Misfires (even though I found Ent more watchable).

Both were very Divisive. Both suffered from an identity crisis and major course corrections. Both were Cancelled prematurely.

The DVD extras of Berman and Braga telling the stories of how Enterprise S1 and S2 turned out so poorly are really fun to watch.

6. ELCHawk

ELCHawk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have personally never seen a show of any genre get treated so bad as Discovery. I have never seen a show where people go out of there way so bad to express how much they hate it. It is like a cult. It is fricking pathetic.

In my opinion, Discovery is not the greatest Trek out there. But I believe it is better than Voyager and Enterprise. I also believe that Discovery is better than 90 percent of shows out there.

Also, if there wasn't Discovery there would be no Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy, or especially SNW.

I still sadly believe haters think they are being original when they proclaim their hatred for Discovery. It is actually predictable and pathetic.

Thank you Discovery for a fun and quality five seasons. The show, cast, and crew never deserved the attacks they got from so-called "fans."

7. Quantum21

Quantum21 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

This. It’s fine to not like something, but the way some people go out of their way to express how much they hate it, and they way they’re so presumptuous about it, like of course it’s objectively bad and you’re just wrong if you like it, is just so very tiresome.

I’m not going to pretend it was perfect, or that it didn’t have some misfires and course corrections that maybe didn’t work out. It’s just that if I’m enjoying something, I’m content to just enjoy it now and worry about where it fits into the bigger picture later.

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I give my least favorite season of DSC, the third season, an 8 out of 10. Whereas I give my favorite season of ENT, the fourth season, a 7.5 out of 10.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  10. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

The way people complain about DSC seems sedate and cerebral compared to the Gusher/Basher war on this board when VOY was airing. There was so much friction you could have powered a starship w/ the heat generated.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh please - you must be new to Trek fandom. EVERY new version of Trek is divisive until it isn't <--- And that usually happens after a Trek production runner changes.

I've been around long enough to have encountered:

- ST:TMP was devisive. "My GOD! Two turbolifts on the Bridge!"; "The 1701's Warp Nacelles look like something from a Klingon Battlecrusier...WHY?"; "Starfleet uniforms are all Pajama Onesies, what's up with that??!!"; "When did they swap out Klingons for Bears?"

-STII:TWoK - STVI:TUC (The Harve Bennett years) were devisive:
    Here's an article on how now fan favorite STII:TWoK faired in it's initial release:
    https://www.escapistmagazine.com/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-40th-anniversary-fan-backlash/

I could go one but I don't feel like typing a Novel regarding a Trek fan cycle that started with TAS in 1973, and has continued over and over with each new Trek iteration on TV or feature film.

So yeah, please give it a rest. Once the current Trek is shut down, maybe 4 years or so after, Paramount will launch another new Trek revival and it will be declared apocryphal and 'Not Trek' too by many when it launches.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nobody hates things that are unfamiliar quite as much as fans of the TV series about exploring strange new worlds.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Enterprise but I do love DSC more.

14. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

You must be new here. Voyager and Enterprise got sh*t on constantly back in the day.

15. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think there's more of it now just due to the rise of social media. Enterprise got shit on a bit but it was just some nerds on AOL message board or usenet. I remember people saying they didn't like it and why but I don't remember the discourse being so nasty like it is now.
    Now, it's not just message boards but on social media - even on unrelated Star Trek posts, people insult Discovery, its fans, and its creatives. The discourse is also more nasty. Personal attacks to the actors and writer's social media, saying the show is trash or garbage over and over again.

ELCHawk likes this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It feels a lot more like wagon circling. Even if I didn't like Enterprise (I still don't) I did not always talk to people who felt the need discuss it. Usually, my small little fan circle rotated around the things we like. Nowadays, fan circles rotate around the things we hate and the "us vs. them" mentality gets magnified over the Interwebz and we decide that not only is the other side wrong but evil. Unfortunately, then it gets thrown at the production team and they get treated even worse, and, as you note, it gets dragged up in unrelated conversations.

Frustrating.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  17. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me the difference is that ENT fits in the standard mold of Star Trek. After having seen three seasons of DIS, I still don't quite know what to make of it, or where to 'put' it in the Star Trek universe.

That doesn't mean I don't like it though. Just that sometimes I wonder whether it wouldn't have been better off without having to fit in the Star Trek legacy and be its own thing entirely.

Richard S. Ta and Anthony60 like this.
  18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That might be why it appeals to me. TOS was always this different thing, this "out there" idea. It had a mold, but the mold was pretty much like a sandbox and could have so many different stories. And then you get in to the movies and you have a huge variety of stories and tone shifts, from TMP to the massive change in TWOK and then a much different tone in the rest.

I think I could put DSC more closely in line with the TOS films, because each season, for good or for ill, has it's own specifical feel to it, even with connective tissue to the last.

19. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Enterprise and Discovery are two of my least favourite Trek series so it's difficult to say which is better, although Enterprise probably fits more comfortably alongside TOS, TNG, DS9, & Voyager than Discovery does as a Trek series. One thing both Enterprise and Discovery do have in common is a cast of bland, poorly fleshed out characters that it's difficult to care about. At least Discovery has a better opening theme so has that going for it.

20. Caeruleus

Caeruleus Commander Red Shirt

Every Star Trek show is better than Star Trek Discovery.