Electoral College: Closer to being gone than you think

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ichab, May 9, 2017.

1. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know, he went back out and saluted him. What a clown!

Pretty surprised the end of civilisation didn't happen right there and then.

Actually, maybe it did..........

Brefugee likes this.
  2. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Laughing at the non existent immigration problem! Man tell that to the three million tax evaders..

3. Spot261

It's tiresome to point out that one of the most dignified, decent, genuine people to hold high office in modern times has been supplanted by a lecherous egomaniac for whom "Ivory Tower" is not just a figure of speech as he has a gold one he sits in whilst abusing the very people he conned into voting for him by claiming to be a "man of the people"?

Oh, btw net migration between Mexico and the US has hovered around zero for a long time.

I'm curious how many lifetimes you think it's going to be before three millions people's taxes which will somehow magically be clawed back as a result will pay for the building and upkeep of that wall (which, let's face it, won't happen, even if approved at all it will take decades to build and will almost certainly be discontinued before completion)

A wall which incidentally is already obsolete even if built in it's entirety today due to the massive network of tunnels already in place, meaning the only party to benefit here will be the criminal gangs who control them and will start charging for their use, funding the drugs trade.

They could always do it on the cheap and leave the thing unmanned, but of course the additional millions per year spent guarding it won't be wasted given the recent advent of ladders.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Brefugee likes this.
  4. Refuge

That makes no sense other than to validate your own bias.

5. Spot261

Ummmm......

projected build cost of 15 billion (which based on most public expenditure precedents will be closer to 45)

300 million per year guarding and upkeep

20 plus year build time

defeated by a fifty dollar ladder or a pay off to the guy who already has a tunnel in place, (or just crossing the border before it's built, using a boat, blah blah blah)

except people aren't actually flooding into the US at all, net migration is zero, so not only is this a ridiculous exercise in building the most ridiculous phallic overcompensation in history, it is also a contender for the world's biggest strawman argument

How does that not make sense?

6. Refuge

Smoke and mirrors. You do know there are illegal immigrant don't you?

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, the President isn't required to salute at all was my point.

8. Spot261

Yes, you do know they cost nowhere as much as the best projections for this wall and won't be stopped by it anyway.

Again, the tunnels to defeat it are already there.

This is a small child's version of problem solving with no concept of how reality actually works, like thinking Daddy will get you to school faster in a nuclear powered supercar or a spaceshuttle.

1001001 and Manticore like this.
  9. CorporalCaptain

My impulse control is pretty poor right now:

10. Refuge

So some actual citizen living in a rural area of the United States has lost his security.. someone in power.. say someone called Obama, has decided to do a trade deal and the farmer can no longer compete. Meanwhile that same CITIZEN a legal one, has to send his kid off to a foreign war. He then votes for Trump and he's supposed to second rate his problems because above it all liberals want to pretend an illegal, who pays no taxes and whose kid is also valued by the bleeding hearts, gets to go under the radar? Oh don't complain Trump supporter, you're a racist if you do... just be ashamed. You're just a small child idiot with no concept of how the world really works.

How do you spell condescending? Are libs really that out of touch that scoring points against Trump is more important? Am I going to get another lecture about a non sequitur and straw man? Please don't bother. I truly despair at how ignorant some of the mentality is here. You hate on Trump and don't give a real shit about fellow Americans.

11. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

You do realize that virtually all illegal immigrants are people who gained access legally and illegally stayed past their visa's expiration, right? No wall is going to stop that.

As for the second paragraph, I take significant issue with it. Securing and protecting the rights and opportunities of fellow Americans (such as the poor or minority groups - which are often one and the same) takes priority over addressing a frankly minor "problem" like illegal immigration.

Did that county in Georgia that got rid of all of the illegal immigrants living ever manage to fill those jobs that they were doing and Americans refused to?

12. CorporalCaptain

Excellent question.

Does anybody have a link to a credible study that they are familiar with, on what the effects on the US economy would be, if all undocumented immigrants were expelled?

BillJ likes this.
  13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

W-h-i-t-e p-r-i-v-i-l-e-g-e...

cultcross, comsol, Manticore and 2 others like this.
  14. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's amusing how everything you say is literally make-believe.

15. Spot261

So completely ignoring the entirely hypothetical nature of your comments with no objective facts offered to back them, please explain how spending literally dozens of billions of dollars of public money on a giant wall which won't actually keep anyone out anyway and won't be completed for at least twenty years, without any clear case where the funding is coming from, is going to help.

When apparently you can't afford universal healthcare, or even a halfway decent system for subsidising insurance.

Seems to me if that much money is going spare it could go a long way towards supporting the farming industry rather than dick waving projects which are patently not going to achieve anything even in the vanishingly slim chance they actually get completed.

Manticore and { Emilia } like this.
  16. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

You guys who have a hang up on Trump, Obama etc. need to start your own I HATE YOU threads and stop hijacking every thread in this forum with your partisan talking points. I don't care about reading your opinion for the hundredth time on a thread that doesn't have jack squat to do with your hang up.

Grow up, get over it and move on.

17. Spot261

Ummmm, the election platform which the incumbent president used has nothing to do with a thread about the system which put him into power?

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's hard to argue that Trump and the most recent election is not relevant to this topic, and if you must know, it was Refuge who first brought Trump up and kept harping on about the Clintons and Obama. People were simply responding to her remarks. :shrug:

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/ele...ne-than-you-think.287691/page-3#post-12014186
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/ele...ne-than-you-think.287691/page-3#post-12014521

Manticore likes this.
  19. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

I'm starting to notice that there aren't so many pro-Trump people out there, but more like anti-anti-Trump people.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Unlike your hero and unempathetic child and husband of immigrants Donald Trump, most undocumented immigrants do pay their taxes. They help prop up social security by paying into the fund but not being able to claim the benefits because they're using a false social security number. They pay local, state, and federal income, property, and sales taxes.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...ow-much-do-undocumented-immigrants-pay-taxes/
    https://itep.org/immigration/
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/09/undocumented-immigrants-and-taxes/499604/

Also unlike your hero, President Deferment J. Bonespurs, many undocumented immigrants (and many non-citizens in general — IIRC ~10% of the US armed forces are non-citizens seeking a path to citizenship through service) also serve in the military and some have disgracefully been deported or threatened with deportation even after serving their country; or have had dependent or depended-on family members deported instead, forcing them to also leave (for instance physically or psychologically impaired veterans who have had their familial caregivers deported).

https://www.us-immigration.com/blog/undocumented-immigrants-to-be-allowed-to-serve-in-the-military
    http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/10/us-military-veterans-deported-trump
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...y-immigrants-fight-deportation-orders-n718031

So, what's your next bullshit hypothetical, low information voter?

Last edited: May 23, 2017