Dune Part 2 2023 (24, 25, 26...)

I'm not going to debate whether colouring-in is art if one didn't create the line drawing. It seems to me that the books were aimed at children (recommended age unspecified). You can see some bizarre extracts here:

The Dune Coloring & Activity Books: When David Lynch's 1984 Film Created Countless Hours of Peculiar Fun for Kids | Open Culture

Different times indeed...
And there were comics and toys for the Alien movies aimed at children. Cartoons about Robocop. What was considered "for children" was not always logical.

And as someone who struggles greatly with the arts I am mildly amused that coloring is not an art debate. Like, that's my last line of hope for any sort of artistic expression and now that's taken away?

And as someone who struggles greatly with the arts I am mildly amused that coloring is not an art debate. Like, that's my last line of hope for any sort of artistic expression and now that's taken away?
I have my own view, which I choose not to express. You can choose to believe that places restrictions on your artistic impression. I really don't care.

It’s supposed to be relaxing, meditative.
It is. Even the color-by-numbers app I have on my phone can be very relaxing if I don't want to pull any supplies out.

I can't draw worth a damn either. :D

Villeneuve in article said:
"If I succeed in making a trilogy, that would be the dream... 'Dune Messiah' was written in reaction to the fact that people perceived Paul Atreides as a hero...
As usual, Villeneuve is full of baloney. Parts of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were written at the same time as Dune, so FH could not possibly have written more than part of "Messiah" in response to readers' opinions.

I'm just glad that he changed his mind about Irulan. The original version of Dune Messiah had her being killed at the same time as Mohiam, since the Fremen wanted Mohiam dead and Irulan was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only warning she had was when she was asked if she had a religion. She was confused - what an odd question. She never lived long enough to get an answer.

Of course coloring is an art. Saying coloring isn't art is like saying nothing you do with a pattern is art. No two people ever approach art in exactly the same way, unless they're either a master forger or are working for a company that demands a "house style".

An example would be Thomas Kinkade. He did wonderful paintings, but he died 11 years ago. Anything coming out under his name since then will have been done by people trained to mimic his style so closely that the average Kinkade fan couldn't tell the difference.

I have a huge stack of Creative Haven coloring books. They range from abstract stuff like mandalas to nature scenes, and there's one that lets you create a stained glass window effect. For this book you have to use wax crayons; nothing else will work properly.

I took a coloring class at a rubber stamping store about 25 years ago. It was very interesting, all the techniques there are to make a 2-dimensional picture on a piece of paper look 3-dimensional.

Those are certainly creative activities, and I suppose if they change the mental or emotional state of a viewer, they are art - although a work of art might variously delight, arouse, amuse, inspire, disgust, bore or enervate that viewer. So, perhaps Florence Foster Jenkins should be considered a great performing artist from the point of view of comedic entertainment and recognition - her name is better known than that of the actually accomplished Vorticist sculptor and painter Henri Gaudier-Brzeska, although both are the subject of movies. It is perfectly fine to be mediocre or even bad at something that you enjoy doing as a pastime. It is not ok to demand that people praise your work nor to say that everyone's effort deserves equal merit. Not everyone is Piet Mondrian. I'm nowhere near close to emulating Marcel Duchamp. You are welcome to find my views incorrect, incomplete, pompous or laughable, and, of course, to ignore them.

Last edited:
The closes I come to art is a couple of color by numbers apps I use on my tablet, but I approach those as more of a game than art.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. As we are all different art affects us differently, what some may not even consider art ( i once saw just a white linen board framed and hung in an art museum that was aptly named "White") others can spend hours thinking and talking about it.

The point of art, at least to me, is to discuss it and by doing so it fulfills its purpose to engage people by exchanging ideas and emotions both good and bad, possibly even leading to personal revelations that might be even different to the one the artist intended by creating the art because the artist has his own interpretation of their work.

A dog turd can be art so long as you display it correctly.

I guess literally anything can be art, it just needs the right framing. Mildly weak wordplay! ;)

I think a banana duct-taped to a wall is art. (The 2019 artwork Comedian by the Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan.) But then I have always appreciated the absurd. It's not proficient art in a physical sense of technique, but it is in the way that it engages attention and debate.

"To say the least, Comedian is a commentary on the wild world of contemporary art, communicating how culture understands, interprets, and engages with the arts." - Brian Nixon in Beauty (and the Banana)

Back