Dune 2018 (19,20,21...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

bit obscure but still Dune related.

in the 1970s, German electronic music released an album called Dune, inspired by his love of Herbert's work.

He has a new album coming out this year that sounds like it's going to have the same inspiration - the release is titles "Arrakis Deus".

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What group?

3. Marc

Doh.

That”s what I get for checking something while posting.

Should be German electronic musician Krause Schulze.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. fireproof78

Thank you. I really didn't want to get lost looking at German Electronic Music and miss it :D

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, because of the jodorowsky documentary, I think people are expecting a dune adaptation to be an artsy abstract-ish movie. Instead they got a well made modern blockbuster. I can see how the film nerds found it bland.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Marc

except it should be Klaus.

7. fireproof78

Duly noted :)

8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm finally gonna have a chance to watch this, but am having trouble adjusting to the pronunciation of a few things based on having watched a few of the Extras on HBO Max.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Which things do you think you'll have a problem with?

10. DigificWriter

"Leto" (which I'm used to pronouncing/hearing pronounced as 'Leeto'),"Fremen" (which I'm used to pronouncing/hearing pronounced as 'Freeman'), and "Bene Gesserit" (which I'm used to pronouncing/hearing pronounced as 'benay jez-a-ret').

11. Timewalker

There are actors and actresses who pronounce "Leto" in a variety of ways. Some say LEE-to (the "o" is long, as in "toe" rather than "too"), and others say LAY-to. Just pick one and try to ignore the others. I don't think any of the productions ever had a proper continuity person who kept track of things like that. At this point I haven't reviewed Frank Herbert's own pronunciation guide to see if he has a definitive pronunciation he used.

"Fremen" is pronounced with a short "e" sound. Like in "red" or "bed" or "Fred." "FRE-men".

"Bene Gesserit". Okay, let's break this up a bit:

"Bene" has two syllables, emphasis on the first one. The first "e" is also short, like in "red", bed, or "Fred."

The second syllable's "e" is pronounced like "ay."

Put them together and you get "BE-nay."

(some online sources say it's "benny", which is WRONG).

Now for "Gesserit." The "G" is a soft "g", that sounds like a "j". The emphasis is on the first syllable, and the "e" is also short, as in "Fred, "bed," and "red." So the first syllable sounds like "Jess."

The other two syllables are evenly-emphasized, with the vowels pronounced as in RL. The "ser" part sounds like "sir".

Putting it all together, it sounds like "BE-nay JES-sir-it."

Bene Gesserit. "Benay Jessirit" (the accented syllables have been bolded).

My advice, if you ever watch any of Quinn's YouTube videos, is do NOT emulate his pronunciations. He's doing a lot of them wrong, he knows they're wrong, and doesn't give a shit how many people correct him. By the time he made the videos he had the Lynch movie, both miniseries, and a pronunciation guide by Frank Herbert himself to go by, not to mention people explaining latin pronunciation to him and he was rude to everyone.

Alia's name is pronounced "AH-lee-a". But of course if this movie ends right after the knife fight, the pronunciation of Alia's name won't be a problem until the next movie.

jaime likes this.
  12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Zendaya have too much on her plate?

She's barely in Spider-Man.

She's barely in Dune.

She's barely in Euphoria.

Did everything suffer because Zendaya wanted three massive pay checks at the same exact time?

13. Timewalker

I have no idea why people are praising her to the skies and so excited that she's in this movie. I've never seen anything she's been in, but it sounds like she's another one of these actresses who specialize in comic strip-adapted movies.

14. DigificWriter

This is almost entirely a case of me pronouncing things in my head differently (based mainly on the House Trilogy) than how they're being pronounced onscreen and is entirely my own issue to get over.

Incidentally, I never ended up making it all the way through the original Dune novel and just never had the time to give it another read-through, so I'm actually getting to experience the story onscreen without a lot of preconceptions other than pronouncing stuff differently.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

All pronunciations used in the movie are the approved pronunciations according to Brian Herbert.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  16. DigificWriter

Like I said, this was my own issue. :)

I ended up having to stop the movie last night about halfway through because I needed to get some sleep, but I really like what I've seen. The casting is great, the designs are unique and well-realized, and the pacing reminds me of Alita Battle Angel, Part 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and The Fellowship of the Ring, which I don't mind at all.

17. Timewalker

That's not much of a recommendation, given that he thinks the Butlerian Jihad was about insect-shaped robotic Terminators with Greek names. :rolleyes: He understands nothing of what it was really about.

jaime and Colonel Midnight like this.
  18. DigificWriter

^ Not every Dune fan dislikes the Expanded Dune stuff, and Brian is, like it or not, the caretaker of his father's estate and the Dune IP, so his word carries the weight of authority.

19. Timewalker

:guffaw:

Going by that, Einstein's theory of relativity is incorrect and space battles are conducted in 2 dimensions, not 3. And at some point they're going to mention how Paul - who was born on Caladan and never went off-planet until going to Arrakis, ran away on a Highliner at age 12, with his friend Bronso of Ix, to join the Jongleurs.

Assuming Villeneuve goes ahead with Dune Messiah, we're going to be told that oops, the first movie depicts a propaganda tract written by Princess Irulan on Paul's orders, to make his religion more palatable to the masses, and in fact Paul was born on Kaitain when Jessica was "invited" (ordered) to go there to become a lady-in-waiting to Shaddam's Empress... and nothing of the original novel is true. Only stuff written by KJA/BH is true, which means bringing in cymeks, cyborgs, robots, a gorefest of torture and cannibalism (the Tleilaxu and Erasmus both seem to love that), and at some point Norma F. Cenva will come to save everyone because the Atreides are too inept to do it themselves.

THAT is what you get if you go by "Brian's vision" (which I suspect is more KJA's vision, since it's so cartoonishly awful).

Set Harth and jaime like this.
  20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A quick check on the internet shows the Spider-Man films as her only "comic strip-adapted movie". So hardly a "specialty". I assume people are excited because they've actually seen her work and are impressed. The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences were so impressed that she was awarded the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series,