DSC Starships and Technology - Season Three Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Mark_Nguyen, Jul 25, 2019.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 2, episode 1 "Brother"

Ronald Held likes this.
  2. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Go-Captain likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well also see a Trill in the Season 1 finale.

Mark_Nguyen likes this.
  4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prop closeups for further discussion.

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/03/explore-star-trek-props-picard-discovery-cruise-museum/

(Relevant pics after all the Picard prop pics).

We have a 23rd-Century emergency prop pack of sorts, and a description of some antagonist weapons (which suggest the local galactic weapon design once again moves away from traditional pistols and rifles). Also, I never realized a Cardassian and Lurian (Morn's race, and until told otherwise I will think this is Morn himself) were amongst the motley crew shooting at our heroes in our trailer.

Mark

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Burnham's customized survival kit makes a degree of sense: a Trek hero needs her phaser, tricorder and communicator. But what is the point of carrying that arrowhead badge along? Wouldn't that be a spare anyway, with her wearing one on her chest already, underneath the Angel Suit? (I mean, no, we can see she doesn't wear one there - but why doesn't she? Is she afraid of it itching?)

Does the badge have a functionality of some sort, making it worthwhile to carry the spare in a space that could mount two phaser power packs instead? Or, say, some medical supplies? If they can't count on anything bolted outside the suit surviving the time travel, they sure are making strange decisions in the allocation of internal volume.

(Also, at the risk of appearing stupid again, what is that hexagonal box? A six-pack of suicide pills in case the first one doesn't do the trick? A Borg/Control/assorted machine life threat activity alert badge?)

Timo Saloniemi

Richard Baker likes this.
  6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The little descriptor in the picture that follows identifies it as super-concentrated ration pills. Scotch mint flavoured.

Well, not scotch mint. But you get it.

Mark

7. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Presumably she just has the one. We've seen that the Disco badges function as dog-tags, I suppose there could be additional personal/medical information encoded on them that might be of use.

8. Timo

I guess the planet naming thing is supposed to be done the practical way. Nobody outside Coppelius would know the place is called that. And many of the places Kirk visited had not been contacted before, so the same would apply there; the heroes would have to use their own star name and the ordinal until they learned more.

It's TNG that stands out there like a sore thumb: Picard's diplomatic mission to Earthname III becomes significantly less diplomatic when he refuses to use Localname even when face-to-face with the Locals, that is, the Earthnameians. "Code of Honor" is the first offender, and things get downhill from there. I gather Picard just expects his UT to take care of this.

In comparison, Sisko generally dealt with colonies (the local names of which might not have been all that official or suited for general audiences) or alien/hostile locations; Janeway dealt with the latter exclusively. Archer at least got to speak of Vulcan, Andor and the like every now and then. And DSC tended to avoid planets as a matter of budg.. principle.

EDIT: Whoops, this is actually the DSC thread. Although I wouldn't rule out a crossover next season...

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There are four Romulan designs total: The transport that brought Narek to the Artifact, Narek's fighter, the "Albatross" warbirds as you call them, and Oh's ship.

Transport: This ship resembles the Valdore the most, although it doesn't have the characteristic 'beak' and doesn't have visible nacelles. It's smaller than the warbirds.

Fighter: Small one-man ship that doesn't really resemble any past Romulan ships at all.

Warbirds: No real estimate of scale. Unnecessarily long wingspan and no visible nacelles.

Oh's ship: It looks deceptively larger than the warbirds, but that only might be because it's closer to the camera than the other ships. Based on the pull-out scene, it doesn't actually look very large at all. Also no visible nacelles.

I'm assuming at least Oh's ship is new, since it has the holographic display panels like the La Sirena has.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  10. Timo

...Although it would be a bit odd for Romulans to adopt display tech apace with the Federation. I mean, they didn't even believe in viewscreens back in the 2260s.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If they were at relative peace with the Federation after Nemesis, there's certainly room for a technology exchange.

12. Timo

I guess so. Perhaps the Feds got the 3D controls from Romulans a bit after they gave the freefloating 2D display tech to them?

Timo Saloniemi

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone uses UTs so Feds hear system name/planet number and others hear it as they designate it?