Spoilers DS9: Sacraments of Fire by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 20, 2015.

?

Rate Sacraments of Fire.

1. Outstanding

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. Above Average

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Poor

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't help but ask: was Vendora deGrom named for Jacob? ;)

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really digging this sofar, but it does tend to 'tell a story'. As in, things that have happened in previous novels are explained again quite a few times, similar to DRGIII's duology.

Best I can tell, this is part of duology again, with the next novel Ascendence being the second part. Not sure if this has been made official anywhere, but at the speed this story is progressing, I think it's spread over two novels.

Which probably means another RBoE/PoN/RtD situation, where people at first didn't like RBoE but started to see the how and why in that novel after PoN and RtD. Revelations and Dust got quite some complaints, even though I always felt the novel was both a setup for The Fall line of novels AND for something else. With this novel, and Ascendence, being the something else.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

It would indeed be admirably ambitious to launch two series with a single book, though it would certainly risk leaving the individual work in question feeling weak and somewhat disconnected from the backbone of any one arc. As a big fan of the interconnected, ever-branching novel continuity, I love the idea, though I understand it would conversely be frustrating to those readers not so enamoured and preferring novels that stand better on their own. :)

If RBoE/PoN/RtD was the Sisko/Kamemor trilogy, I wonder what this one will be best summarized as?

4. Mage

My best guess sofar? Ro and Kira.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

My copy's on its way.

The One Where They Finally Wrapped Up The Ascendants Story?

6. Mage

Unless the set-up here is completely different than the pay-off....

Yes, it will be.

7. Deranged Nasat

Mine arrived today, and so far I'm loving it. David R George III is a really good fit for DS9, and it's always nice to return to his take on it. It's also very satisfying to get this particular story at last - the Ascendants, Taran'atar on the Even Odds - and fleshing out the Fall period (even tying into The Light Fantastic with the efforts to get Vic's up and running) makes it even better. I'll have more to say once I'm finished, but so far I'm happy.

8. Jedi Ben

My copy arrived today, had a flick to the last page to see 'to be continued in Ascendance'.

Which is great but this goes on the pile to be read as a complete set!

9. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Picked this up today. Started reading something else in the meantime so I won't start it yet but I like the back blurb.

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I have to say, stylistically, I like the way DRGIII has set up the telling of the Ascendents storyline. And wow, that final chapter... I'm so glad we only have another six months to wait for the next installment! :D

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yay! I'm so glad the Ascendant's storyline is finally going to be dealt with in David's latest novels. I can't wait to finally get my copy of this novel.

12. Deranged Nasat

I'm almost done reading, and I've found it very satisfying, overall. The post-Destiny DS9 relaunch has finally been fully integrated with the pre-Destiny relaunch. It all ties together now, and given that this was essentially the series that started the novel 'verse continuity - which I grew up with - I'm very happy to have it all come together.

I'll write more when I've finished and digested it a bit.

13. Jedi Ben

Ye-es! Finally. For those of us who've been waiting and hoping for this, we likely knew a bit of the how and why it all fell apart - Marco got laid off. Despite that understanding, that big time jump gap has been an open wound in the books and has likely stopped me recommending the DSN relauch as unreservedly as I'd like to.

So, that that will likely change in 2016 is great.

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Just downloaded mine!

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Me too!

16. Mage

I'm a Niner. Through and through. Best Trek ever.
    I'm also a huge fan of Deep Space Nine TrekLit. The new crew quickly grew on me as much as the old crew had.
    I was also one of the fans who had no real problems with the time-skipping. Bringing DS9 up to speed was a good move, and although I was kinda sad to not see the story of the Ascendents, I could live with it, very good. I felt a lot of people couldn't let go, and whenever new stories involving DS9 were released, no matter how good, people felt it was a pity it wasn't the Ascendents story. And I felt people needed to let go.

Now that I finished the first part of this two-parter...... I couldn't be more happy. The intertwining of the storylines in this book were well done, and the flow between chapters was smooth and didn't feel akward. Those who finished this novel will know what I mean.

Now, some spoilers.

Realizing 'when' Kira had come back, was shocking, and something I didn't see coming. How this will pan out in the next novel, should be interesting. Although they were not as heavily featured as in Rising Son, seeing the Even Odds and her crew was nice.

Altek, and the 'falsework'. I have a feeling those two will somehow be connected, in a way Altek doesn't even know. The Prophets wouldn't send someone to a different time for no reason. And with the discovery of the 'falsework', I can't help but feel it's connected.

Odo.... I can't help but wonder how this will be a part of the overal story line, or if it's a setup for future novels. It's not a Changeling, it can shift its shape.... Part of the Progenitor?

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

My copy appeared. I should be able to start it on Friday.

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nasat I'm so glad certain stories lines from the ds9 previous will be in this novel. It sounds like the ds9 fans are finally getting the stories we've been wanting for a lone time will be wrapped up and new ones that sound intriguing..:bolian::)

19. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I wish I did that. The paper version has such tiny print. But it looks very nice on my shelves.

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't picked this up yet, though I am very much looking forward to it. It will be a while til I can get a chance to read it. But it was brought to my attention that this novel spans several months and has some flashbacks. I'm hoping to keep my website's timeline as accurate as possible, sooner rather than later. Would anybody be willing to give me a month by month breakdown of when the chapters take place to add to my Post Nemesis timeline page?

http://startreklitverse.yolasite.com/post-nemesis-year-by-year.php

I'll try to pop back in here without spoiling myself. Thanks to anybody who can help!