• Below Average

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

Sho

Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

It's been six months since the last DS9 novel; Una McCormack's The Missing was released on December 30th last year. David R. George III, no stranger to the series, has picked up the baton again, and Sacraments of Fire will continue to story on June 30th.

Blurb:

The latest novel in the ongoing Next Generation/Deep Space Nine expanded universe crossover, from New York Times bestselling author David George!

Days after the assassination of Federation President Nan Bacco on Deep Space 9, the unexpected appearance of a stranger on the station raises serious concerns. He seems dazed and confused, providing—in a peculiar patois of the Bajoran language—unsatisfactory answers. He offers his identity as Altek, of which there is no apparent record, and he claims not to know where he is or how he got there. A quick scan confirms the visitor is armed with a projectile weapon—a firearm more antiquated than, but similar to, the one that took President Bacco’s life. But the Bajoran liaison to the station believes that Altek has been sent from the Prophets, out of a nearby wormhole. The last time such an event occurred, it was to reassure Benjamin Sisko of his place as the Emissary. For what purpose has Altek now been sent out of the Celestial Temple?

Over at the pocket books site they have a chapter excerpt from Sacraments of Fire after reading it yesterday I can't wait to read the rest of this story. Also David George said on Face book he was making editorial changes to the second draft of Ascendance and was talking to the editors about future book projects. I hope this means some more future Ds9 books :bolian:

Over at the pocket books site they have a chapter excerpt from Sacraments of Fire

They do?

A link, a link; my kingdom for a link!

EDIT: I neglected my pre-orders again. I've just ordered it now, and apparently it will be here quite soon...

I'm interested if this will flesh out the rest of the period in which The Fall takes place. Will we see, for example, the introduction of the embargo against Andor and the subsequent blockade around the Andor system? Not centre-stage of course, but as something commented on by the characters? That might help compensate for one of the weaknesses of that otherwise rather strong series.

On a side note - did we get a description of what the new Ops looks like? I've still been picturing the old Ops but with Starfleet-style consoles etc.

Looks like another winner from DRG.

As a nice aside, the reference to Galion is from the TNG Dominion War books!

I just checked on my pre-order, and it's showing that it just shipped from the warehouse yesterday. So it'll be at the store on Tuesday (the Coles near me receives their orders on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

I'm super excited for this; the preview was very good (although I couldn't see the bottom 4 lines of each page, I think). It's definitely a return to the tautness that Revelation and Dust ended on. I wonder how DRG has unified his text with the rest of The Fall and The Missing - do you think it's a narrow timeframe, or something which covers several months?

I pre ordered this book and can't wait to read the rest of the story it definitely mentions important ds9 tv episodes in the chapter preview.I look forward to seeing how the rest to of the story turn out.:cool:

Mine's digitally preordered, last time iBooks got it an hour or so before midnight. The 30th's my last day of vacation, including a 2 1/2 hour plane ride that now will be spent near the wormhole, I presume. :D

It's a crying shame that they are slow to release new DS9 novels in Germany. Some of them are plannes, but there is no release date.

I'm sure that DRG III does a great job of continuing the DS9 storyline. I will read it of course, even if it'll take some time.

50 pages in, good sofar, to early to tell.

Fun little attempt to fix the editing mistake from Revelations and Dust, where Kira saw the Robinson in the wormhole, when it should have been Defiant.

Here's hoping I enjoy this one more than Revelations and Dust. We'll see if B&N has it in stock on Thursday/Friday like they normally do.

I've received an email from Book Depository saying that it's on its way. The excerpt was promising, and I'm looking forward to this. :)

Last edited:
On a side note - did we get a description of what the new Ops looks like? I've still been picturing the old Ops but with Starfleet-style consoles etc.

It was described in the early chapters of Revelation and Dust (I think it was the chapter about Blackmer).

In it they say its a lot like the bridge of a Starship, but inverted and looking toward the center of the room instead of outward.

Back