DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess the argument is whether or not higher resolution, frame rate etc is needed or not. Certainly there is nothing bad looking about good old fashioned 35mm film.

I'd like to see all the options as tools a filmmaker has in making a piece of art, while digital looks great for films with a lot of SFX, glossy high budget pics like the Avengers, 35mm is great for anything moodier and more atmospheric.

2. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

Digital is all about saving money, not about obtaining the ultimate in quality.

---------------

3. USS KG5

I'd actually just repeat my quoted post in response to that! Emphasis mine.

4. USS KG5

Good point - encoder quality often > bit rate

5. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

8-perf 35mm (aka VistaVision) is capable of around 6K (6000 x 4000) resolution at the lowest ISO speeds using modern motion picture color negative stocks. 4-perf 35mm is around 4K (4000 x 3000). That's usually what people mean when they say "6K" for 35mm. They're stretching the truth -- they're talking about a format that is very rarely used (usually for VFX) because the cameras are too noisy to shoot sync sound. :)

6. DrOBoogie1

DrOBoogie1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

We're only about two weeks away from the final blu-ray season of TNG. Anyone think there will be any hints about the future of Trek on blu-ray? Y'know, "look for more Star Trek on blu-ray, coming soon [or eventually]!"

7. USS KG5

Sadly, I think not.

I got TOS S1 and ENT S4 the other day, but am not expecting to ever see DS9 blus

8. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I think there is a chance.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If there was a change of DS9 on bluray, we'd already now. A project of that scale would be underway already. And you can't keep a lid on it for long. So we'd have heard some substantial whispers by now if it was happening. So, no.

10. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The longer time goes by, the less likely it will be on blu ray, IMHO. I hope I'm wrong, though.

But I could see maybe DS9 being remastered and streamed, if CBS can make money on it.

11. DragonQ

DragonQ Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Half-arsed HD remasters for streaming services is more likely since they can get away with reducing costs a lot. Cropping, for example, would be horrible (unless DS9 or Voyager were 16:9 protected but I highly doubt it) but much more likely for streaming remasters compared to BD ones.

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Also possible: unicorns.

13. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So put that on BR. We'll still buy it!

14. USS KG5

Worse than that I believe, on ds9 they didnt fix things even in frame, using basic cgi to tidy the sets.

15. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems odd, and like a more expensive way to operate. Do you have some examples of this?

---------------

16. USS KG5

Nope, it was mentioned up-thread by someone else, if they are still lurking maybe they can chip in?

It was in line with a general culture in TV of "We'll fix it in post" that grew up as CGI evolved.

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I want in on that. I'm putting in a preorder ASAP.

18. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Unicorn available in HD in the Final Cut of Blade Runner.

19. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps we could get a remake of "If Wishes Were Horses" made. The Unicorn and Rutger Hauer could replace Buck Bokai and that irritating Irish leprechaun.

20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's not really true. While I'm not saying that DS9 is happening (far from it), TNG-HD wasn't much more than speculation before they officially announce the project. TNG-HD had been speculated for years, just as DS9-HD currently is.

Hollywood revolves around non-disclosure agreements, making leaks relatively rare. When you're dealing with a small in-house post-production team, as TOS and TNG did, if someone were to leak information they'd be easily located and fired. It's not worth the risk. Besides, as much as us fans like to think, these remastering projects aren't very high profile.