Spoilers DS9: Gamma: Original Sin by David R. George III Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Sep 10, 2017.

?

Rate Gamma: Original Sin

1. Outstanding

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Above Average

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Average

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Poor

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Hmm so far not great reviews, maybe I skip this novel for now

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Very much so. Now it's more like generic Star Trek stories that might feature characters previously on DS9 or if we're lucky on the station itself but it lacks that DS9ness that you want when you pick up one with the DS9 logo on it.

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until I got to about the 30% mark, I was having trouble picking it up. Now I'm around the 50% mark, and having trouble putting it down. On slow starts, DRG managed to outdo ADF (without the incredibly rich detailing that makes ADF's slow starts a good thing).

Which is odd. Because while wouldn't put DRG in the same league with CLB (I adore your writing, Mr. Bennett, even if we occasionally get into arguments on this board) or Greg Cox, I don't usually have anything negative to say about his stuff.

Idran likes this.
  4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Tey is an interesting character in the 2380 sections; I would have included her as a civilian on the Robinson.

Sisko's crew are 100% new characters but perhaps filling out his senior staff with some pre-existing characters might have helped us identify with them a little easier.

Idran and SolarisOne like this.
  5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished it. Average/Above Average. DRGIII's style is there, and it works. Solid writing, if not very exciting. The 2380's part of the story had me more interested than the 2386 one.

How it all ends though, the kicker.... And the epilogue.... I could do with more. :D

6. hbquikcomjamesl

Hmm. So
    Rebecca has a hidden ability to warp any reality she finds unacceptable.
    Why do I find myself thinking about Jack-Jack Parr, from The Incredibles?

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

How cute, you're still placing spoilers in their tags when this is clearly defined as a spoiler filled thread.

Defcon likes this.
  8. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed - it seemed a waste to spend so much time on the character when she's not really around anymore. Maybe there are some plans for her going forward.

And yes someone we know would have helped make the Robinson crew a bit more interesting. What about Shar - what is he doing now that Andoria is back in the Federation. Given the impact his time in the Gamma Quadrant had on him he'd have been a great fit here.

Markonian, tenmei and Idran like this.
  9. hbquikcomjamesl

So when, I wonder, does Rebecca start attracting the attention of the DTI?

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  10. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

The Tyohon Pact came about when exactly? Was it 2382? I ask because on page 104 during a 2380 portion, Kasidy is thinking about possible enemies of her and Ben and she thinks of the Dominion and the Typhon Pact. Just an error i'm guessing..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I believe the Pact came together in the end of 2381

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Mage

How cute, no one cares.

SolarisOne and historypeats like this.
  14. Brefugee

And yet...........

15. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

The Borg invasion concluded in Feburary 2381. The Typhon Pact formed almost immediately thereafter, as chronicled in KRAD's A Singular Destiny, which as I recall was set from March to May 2381.

16. Mage

Oh no, a final witty retort! I am defeated!

Look, the guy is being considerate about others, because he likes to give people an option. Your post, starting with 'how cute' does nothing in this thread but trying to come across as a wanker. If it bothers you that he spoilertagged it, look the other way and let it be.

Stevil2001 and Enterprise1701 like this.
  17. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

@Dimesdan Please don't attack other people for doing things in a way you don't like. Either ignore it, or notify on it, or PM me. Also, he can spoiler tag if he wants to.

@Mage you're close to crossing the line into flaming. Leave it. Follow your own advice, don't attack people - notify on a post if it's bad enough, PM me if you just want to raise a question.

I'm not issuing warnings at this point. I will if this continues.

Anyone has a problem, send me a PM - do not discuss it in thread.

MODERATOR NOTE FOR EVERYONE: The Spoiler tag in the title is there as a warning to anyone entering the thread and to allow people posting to not have to use spoiler tags over their entire conversation. However, it is not an instruction - anyone is still perfectly free to use spoiler tags if they want to.

SolarisOne, Brefugee and Stevil2001 like this.
  18. Brefugee

As I've said privately, my intention wasn't an attack, more a gentle ribbing for something I personally feel is a silly thing to do. So if you feel I attacked you @hbquikcomjamesl, I apologise as that was not my intent and I hope it didn't come across like that.

19. hbquikcomjamesl

Not at all. But I do point out that what I spoiler-tagged was a complete spoiler (and my subsequent open post was a gentle hint) for the climax and final 48 pages (12.5%) of a 384 page book. And that not everybody finishes a book before looking at these threads.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Mage and Brefugee like this.
  20. Brefugee

That I am glad of.

I am fully aware people post in or read in these threads before finishing up or without reading the books in question. I'd argue that if they did that, they shouldn't complain if they've been spoiled given the nature of these threads and the onus shouldn't be on you (or anyone else) writing about evens in the books. But that is by the by.

Defcon likes this.