Dragons: Riders of Berk discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

First new pics for How To Train Your Dragon. They are both older, Astrid is still taller then Hiccup and Hiccup is, if I dare say it, hunkier.
    [​IMG]

Older Hiccup on Toothless
    [​IMG]

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is that for the tv show or the next movie?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, only the movies use the How to Train... title. And the TV character designs don't have that much detail, especially on the hair. And it's been reported before that the movie sequel will age the characters a few years.

4. Tom Hendricks

I missed putting the 2 in the How To Train Your Dragon. Supposedly for next season, Hiccup and the gang are suppose to be older. To bridge the gap between season two and the movie coming out.

5. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My oldest daughter is 18 and wants to be an professional animator and she LOVES the movies and TV show - and she's even read the original book series that the films are (kinda loosely, according to her) based on. She's excited about the new move and the 11th book, as well as the new season of the TV show, and is *literally* counting down to days to all three.

And my "step-son" (her half-brother) is 7 and he *LOVES* the movie and the TV show, and is absolutely obsessed with both "Toothless" the dragon, and dragons in general. He's always telling me about it on the phone. I think he's even more obsessed with it than he is with "Iron Man" and "The Avengers" - and it's taken the place of "Cars" for him!

So I kinda can't avoid "How to Train Your Dragon" in any form...LOL.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to get my kids into it but they're neither pays too much attention to the movie. I do have all the episodes of the show on my Tivo, though...

7. Tom Hendricks

Here is the unofficial synopsis for How To Train Your Dragon 2:

Hiccup and Toothless lead hundreds of hero dragons in defense of Dragon Mountain, battling against Drago Bloodfist’s huge army of Dragon Hunters and their ruthless war machines. The mighty Bewilderbeast, Master of Dragon Mountain, rises to join Hiccup against Drago’s forces, but Drago has a secret weapon – his own enslaved Bewilderbeast arrives to turn the tide. Hiccup and Drago lead their massive armies in an epic showdown.

and here is another pic of Astrid on Stormfly
    [​IMG]

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Glad to hear it's such an action heavy premise! The tv series has way too little of that.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like it could be pretty fun.

10. Tom Hendricks

Reminder: new episode, season two premier Thursday night at 7:30pm on Cartoon Network. Don't forget title change Dragons: Defenders of Berk. I had to reset my DVR because of the change.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I totally forgot about this. I only saw a handful of season 1 episodes, but I enjoyed them, so I'll be watching the new season.

12. Tom Hendricks

The episode was pretty good and had a funny homage to Fight Club.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I believe I read that this year is going to be more action-heavy, which is a good thing for me as I found the first season a little on the boring side...

14. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I'm a little disappointed there hasn't been any time jump/aging of the characters in between the first two seasons. From the art that they have revealed, there appears to be a significant aging for the next movie, so unless there's a jump sometime during this season, it appears there will still be a big gap between the show and the movie, if they follow the show continuity at all.

15. Tom Hendricks

I was surprised by that as well. I believe and this is just speculation that the show will be cancelled or it will live in this little pocket of HTTYD universe.

16. Christopher

^No reason the show would be cancelled for continuity reasons. Animated shows based on movies sometimes continue beyond the sequels and either ignore the inconsistencies or fold them into the show continuity without explanation. For instance, Ghostbusters 2 was pretty hard to reconcile with The Real Ghostbusters, but later seasons of that show drew on characters and elements from GB2 (notably making Louis Tully a regular and having him involved with Janine, even though previous seasons had played up Janine's romantic interest in Egon).

Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness is kind of hard to reconcile with KFP2. In KFP2, Master Shifu has a limp from his injuries in the first movie, but in the show, which is evidently meant to come between the movies, he walks normally. And the show tends to revert Po to a less mature and competent level than he'd achieved by the end of the first film, at least some of the time. In any case, he's certainly less advanced in the show than at the start of the sequel, which could be explained if there's a large span of time between them, but there's a line in KFP2 where Po is told that the villain's invention could end kung fu and he says "But I just got kung fu," implying it hasn't been that long. And some of the episodes that focus on members of the Furious Five are sometimes tough to reconcile with what's been hinted about them in the movies. It's like most TV adaptations of movies in that it's only approximately consistent with them.

So far Dragons seems to have been more compatible with the movie, and even with the DVD specials (it uses some dragon species they introduced), but there's no guarantee that will continue. It could end up being an alternate take like most TV adaptations.

17. Tom Hendricks

I didn't mean to infer that it would be cancelled because of continuity. I think more because it has done its job, be a placeholder until HTTYD 2 comes out next year. As I said, that was just a wild speculation. I also believe that it will continue, in this same 'alternative' verse. With Hiccup and the gang staying this age. HTTYD 3 will be out in 2016, so they can have few more years of this.

18. Christopher

Well, if it's set a few years before the sequel, it doesn't necessarily have to be an alternate timeline, just an earlier point in the story. As long as it doesn't alter the status quo in any major way, and as long as the sequels don't overtly contradict what it's already established, then it could be reconciled.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I remember reading somewhere that this season was supposed to lead into HTTYD2, but I guess that just a promotional thing, rather than a story or in-universe thing.

20. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain