Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Dec 11, 2018.
This discussion is reminding me of Galaxy Quest a bit
Ah interesting, I had the Scorpion visual in mind. But Prey is probably more accurate because Voyager's saucer rim is only one deck thick.
Maybe they were tiny Borg?
When I drew the First Federation ships a few years back to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the episode, I explained the discrepancy as being an effect of a space distortion field. The scanners were sensing the field, not the ship within the field.
I was the same. I was wondering how those aliens would have built the Enterprise with the contradictions between the outside and the inside of the ship.
Another minor update: while I continue on a break from the Refit, work is well underway on converting my second/third season TOS bridge into the following variants:
1) "The Cage" variant
2) "Where No Man Has Gone Before" variant
3) Early Season One variant
4) Mirror Universe variant
For the followers of my threads, once I get these done I will be posting screenshots of these in my TOS thread just to keep my different threads organized.
Is there any real difference there other than the high-backed captain's chair and the Empire's logo on the doors?
Nope! Just adding it in an effort to be complete.
Also, the Season One variant appears mostly the same as the Season Two/Three version, but there were some notable differences:
1) The Season One control panels featured prismatic buttons, which were replaced by the "ice-tray" buttons in Season Two.
2) The Season One bridge was more often lit more dramatically than it was in later seasons when it was lit more bright and even.
3) The "red" trim color of the bridge also appears slightly more orange in the first season. This could of been because of film stock or coloration, but I'll be reflecting that in my Season One build.
4) Spock's scanner was the only such scanner in Season One, and was originally painted black. In the second and third seasons, the scanner was painted light grey and a control wheel was added, and the scanner was duplicated on both the Engineering and Environment stations.
5) The helm did not have the retractable scanner in Season One, and in it's place was a blinking control board (much like the ones on the perimeter stations). There were a few buttons and swtiches added on both sides of the helm console in later seasons.
6) Pre-"Court Martial", the captain's chair right-hand control panel had different color resin buttons and had no labels on it.
There were some other minute changes here and there that I'll probably touch on later.
^Yeah, and they added the gooseneck viewer that popped up from Sulu's console.
Yep! (sorry, I added a more comprehensive list when you were replying to my last post )
This caused issues on Discovery in season 2:
I think the bridge was repainted at some point. I mean, look at this cap from season 3's "The Tholian Web": http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x09hd/thetholianwebhd0019.jpg
Looks red to me! Not a trace of orange at all, even with the orange grate-lighting in the turbolift-alcove.
Then there's this cap from the first season's "The Naked Time" http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x04hd/thenakedtimehd0690.jpg
That's definitely a red-orange. And Uhura's dress is very red in comparison.
Again, could be lighting or color-grading or film stock...who knows. But I think two slightly different shades of red were used between the first and third seasons.
I apologize for the thread overlap I've created here!
It's "Navy Orange", you know, the same way "Navy Blue" in the US Navy is really black. Only this time it's red.
Good example with Uhura! We can also use her as a colour yardstick in Season Two
The doors still look orangey there
Another from "The Tholian Web", this time with Scotty being a color yardstick. Notice the door seems much glossier in S3, lending evidence that the bridge trim was repainted: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x09hd/thetholianwebhd0088.jpg
However, I think the fabric for the uniforms changed between S2 and S3, so that could explain some of what we're seeing?
Also, there's the transporter console, which appears more orange in S1 than in S3:
So either it was repainted as well or what we're seeing is a result of film stock/lighting/color-grading differences.
Given how much repainting went on for S3 (the purple Transporter room comes to mind) I have no trouble believing that something similar was done to the Bridge's red areas!
It is interesting to see how long the orangey-red paint lasted though!
The color in the upper trim near the lights does appear to be a different color than the rest of the bridge trim. The older color I presume.
From that same episdoe: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x05hd/isthereintruthnobeautyhd0614.jpg
I'm seeing both red and red-orange in that image. The ceiling trim appears red-orange on the left part of the image, whereas it appears more red towards the right. Still a lot more red than what we saw in Season One though?
Sherwin Williams changed their Navy Orange formula
That's just lighting. I bet they're all the same "Macao Orange" color used throughout the Enterprise sets.
When one compares the colors in TOS-R to colors the DVDs, one wonders if the "remastering process" enters into it. Especially as the whole project was winding down in the third season.
Separate names with a comma.