Donny's Refit Enterprise Interiors (Version 2.0)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are a few instances in TWOK where the dialogue was a bit muffled, and didn't make much sense to me growing up. Then I got a second hand copy of a photo-illustrated novelisation and all became clear :D

2. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. I remember in a thread I started last year about when Kirk found out about David, there was some debate as to whether Kirk says "Why didn't you tell me?" or "Why didn't you tell him?" to Carol. Even the various sites didn't agree on it, IIRC.

Blip likes this.
  3. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

…… well? What did he say?!

4. JonnyQuest037

I don't remember what the consensus we came to was. The thread is here if you're curious.

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The one that grinds my gears is that I've been watching TWOK for 37 years and 23 days.

This is how I have always heard it:
    Kirk: "Where are you off to now?"
    Spock: "The Enterprise. I must check in before your inspection. And you." (Meaning that he will be checking in before the inspection AND before Kirk.)
    Kirk (slightly embarrassed): "Oh."

Someone pointed out a couple of weeks ago it's ACTUALLY:

Kirk: "Where are you off to now?"
    Spock: "The Enterprise. I must check in before your inspection. And you?" (Politely asking what Kirk is doing.)
    Kirk: "Home." (Next shot it Kirk's apartment.)

It's BLOWING MY MIND!

Anyway... @Donny , I've been mulling this over for a while now about how far something can be "right" or "wrong". And I know you usually make things production accurate. But those turbolift shafts look great. If they're too big or too small, I can't tell by eyeball and memory. They look like the things I remember in the place I remember them. And if the bonus it that they can now actually work, then so much more awesome.

Psion, StarCruiser and Donny like this.
  6. JonnyQuest037

Thankfully, I always heard the "Home" line correctly. It's a great line read by Shatner, as Kirk reluctantly and sheepishly admits he doesn't have anywhere else to go.

7. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I was confused on "me" and "him" for a while but for the last several years I've heard "him" (probably because I'm a big fan of watching things with subtitles). But what is the story exactly? Is David in the dark about Kirk being his dad when they meet? Which is what makes his line to Kirk that he's (very) proud to be his son have more weight? Or did he figure that out somewhere along the line, with David poking at Carol for that over-grown boy scout she used to hang around with? I DON'T UNDERSTAND! :wah:

Interesting! I'd never heard it that way but can see how one might. This is one of the reason I frequently watch movies with subtitles. I've misheard so many movie lines and song lyrics over the years that it's much less confusing for me to just read the movie as I watch it.

Aww, well thanks. I'm glad everyone's liking the cargo bay so far. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I'm not quite satisfied with how it's turning out. Could be because it's still unfinished and has a bit more work to be done. Or could be because I've been feeling a little burned out lately and have been working on this out of a feeling of responsibility rather than excitement.

8. JonnyQuest037

Looking at my old thread again, it looks like I came around to Kirk saying "him." So my personal belief is that while Kirk did know at the time of TWOK that David was his son, David didn't learn that Kirk was his father until sometime during TWOK (offscreen, oddly enough). The movie is oddly oblique about these questions, though.

I'm also of the belief that Kirk didn't learn that David was his son until sometime between TOS and TWOK, although most folks here think that Kirk knew about David from the start.

Anyway. Apologies for the thread drift. :)

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Don't feel pressured. I think there's just some excitement to see this because it's a space that rarely gets modeled, let alone modeled well. I think the squee level will go through the roof once the rollaway decks go into motion. But, at your preferred pace. :)

DrCorby, JonnyQuest037, BK613 and 7 others like this.
  10. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Amen.

This thread is for you to have fun, Donny (and maybe show off a little, who knows?): we're just here to drool at the results...

dJE

JonnyQuest037 and Blip like this.
  11. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

The idea was originally that Kirk & David would learn the truth at the same time, with Carol blurting it out as they brawled. They realized how soap opera it came off in post production, but didn’t have time left to get everybody together for a reshoot. So they (awkwardly) edited down the brawl and did a quick pickup with Kirk & Carol having a revised talk after.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  12. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's how it plays in the novel.

@Donny, do what excites you. This is supposed to be the fun stuff.

danellis likes this.
  13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I never knew that. It works so well with David angry and resentful of his absentee father.

Definitely agree with everyone else Donny - this is supposed to be fun for you, so if it's not, don't think twice about taking a break or changing things up.

But entirely selfishly, I can't wait to see the hanger deck and shuttlecraft. :D

14. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I appreciate all the kindness from you people! I doubt I have to say this, but I get a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment from my work. These projects are something I always have to look forward to working on after my day-job workday is done. So I feel weird and almost empty or aimless when I'm not working on them . But I stopped myself yesterday and realized that I've been working on this project almost non-stop since November (after taking about a month off from my unfinished Enterprise-A bridge), so yeah. A break might be in order, or model something else that excites me for a while. I'm still very invested in this project (the Refit era stuff is the most exciting of my few Trek projects) but I admit that weird feeling of really wanting to want to work on it, but not really being excited enough to, has definitely been hitting me more than usual lately.

Anyway, I'm just gonna go with the flow of how I'm feeling. I'm sure I'll be back at it soon, as always ;)

15. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

As much as we all want to see this room completed, it's important you remember you're doing this for yourself, no one else. If you don't feel like you want to build something, then give yourself a break. Maybe change gears and model something else for a while, or maybe go play some more Elite: Dangerous for a week or so, to replenish the creative batteries. ;)

BK613, Blip and Donny like this.
  16. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Totally agree with Rekkert. It's why I end up bouncing around so much on my own projects and have like 3 or 4 of them stoking in the fire as it were.

If you're not having fun doing it, definitely take a break. We want you to do what's best to keep your own sanity and fun levels up.

Blip and Donny like this.
  17. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

*gets Ferengi energy whip out*

Get back to work! I don't care if you're burned out, I needs me more CG interiors, or else! Or else what? Or else....I'll...uh, just wait patiently. I'll wait patiently, or else!

*nods self-satisfied* that should do it. :devil:

JonnyQuest037, penguin44 and Tallguy like this.
  18. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just glad that we're getting a fresh perspective on the Cargo Deck, its layout and dimensions.
    Since it's taken 40 years to get this far, I'm not going to worry about a few more! :biggrin:

19. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree, and seeing it's functionality in a non-static way is such a bonus.

20. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

It is fascinating watching the Enterprise come together in this thread. Seeing the cargo-deck and shuttle bay really changes your perspective on the Enterprise and how it was put together. With so much space dedicated to both, the secondary hull really does feel 'secondary' and can imagine that most of the crew's primary activities do take place in the saucer section. Almost like it is the house and the secondary hull is the garage...if that makes sense.