Donny's Refit Enterprise Interiors (Version 2.0)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They're some stock thing. In the past I've pointed them out in at least one other show, much like the "Vulcan" tiles (which were also seen in Battle Beyond the Stars and the Buck Rogers premier).

@Redfern years ago spotted them here...
    [​IMG]
    That's an incorrect interpretation of the painting. Minor did not portray them as wood. The top detailing of the set was a shade of red (probably the same color as used in the Star Trek II TV engine room), as described here:
    [​IMG]

...and here's a photo of the reddish color as employed on the engine room hex mesh...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  2. K1productions

K1productions Commander Red Shirt

The red mesh is one of the biggest call backs to the original series on the set.

Captn_Kreutza likes this.
  3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

As hard as I tried, once again, to get back into my TOS project, I admit it just doesn't call to me like the TMP/TWOK project does, as the TMP/TWOK stuff is vastly more detailed and varied in terms of surfaces, textures, technology, etc, and therefore more interesting. It's just more fun to model and texture the props and sets of the little-seen Enterprise Refit. So I decided to jump back in tonight, focusing on sickbay, which I'd started last year but didn't get terribly too far into.

There's the gizmos and gadgets is McCoy's office that I needed to tackle. Namely, these:
    [​IMG]
    The tall cylindrical "microscope" unit behind Kirk, and the plate of cylindrical units behind Decker are all made of sonobuoy canister/tubes, which has been pretty well documented here: https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/reused_props_sonobuoys.htm
    We see a third use of this prop in the same scene, leaning against a wall throught the windows:
    [​IMG]

Here is a reference photo of the canister in question, as it appears in our real world:
    [​IMG]

These were used in the vacuum-formed greeble panels seen throughout the TOS movies and TNG (and beyond):
    [​IMG]

We also see it in TNG as a standalone prop, with a slightly longer "top"
    [​IMG]

We see them in TWOK lining the "Jefferie's tube" corners:
    [​IMG]
    And in the Genesis Cave as a cargo container:
    [​IMG][/url
    See the above linked Ex Astris Scientia page for many more examples of where this ubiquitous prop was used throughout Trek.

Anyway, in order to start work on the Sickbay office/lab props in the TMP screencap above, I needed to go ahead and create a "clean" version that can later be modified to serve as those specific TMP uses. Here I've painted it as seen in the Genesis Cave scene. I may change the blue text to something else later, as this was just a quick placeholder text I had handy. Note I have two lengths, the shorter version seen in the movies and the taller one seen in TNG, just to cover all the bases.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ah....it feels good to be back at it :D

Tomalak, publiusr, Henoch and 16 others like this.
  4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your thread continues to be a place of education as well as impressive artwork.
    Who'd have thought they could get so much diverse usage out of such a simple real-world item?
    I love learning new things about Trek :techman:

blssdwlf likes this.
  5. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

Great model. I was admiring the embossed text detailing then I realized you put the mold line along the length! I love that.

By the way, is the sickbay flooring really divot-ed like that? I would have thought it was raised circles, not inset ones. Is there reference showing one way or the other?

blssdwlf likes this.
  6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I always wondered why they bothered to have those canisters when testing a malfunctioning transporter, only to show us that it has melted, deformed or something like that. One might say it had sensors inside to help them determine what was going on, but I'd think they would had Geordi or Miles say something.

They could have just put a replicated orange on the platform and see what it does to the orange :lol:

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That big greebled wall behind Kirk in TWOK looks like the same design as that super-dangerous floor in the TMP/TWOK transporter room.

Donny likes this.
  8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Given how many iterations of that "greebled" wall panel there are, I'd guess that it doesn't actually have a sonobuoy incorporated into it, but that a bunch of pieces including a sonobuoy were put together into a mold for creating a bunch of vacuform panels.

Donny likes this.
  9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seconded. Excellent detail in the modelling on the sonoboys @Donny! Looks like I could pick one up virtually :techman:

Wow, I never noticed that detail on the flooring before. Looks more raised than inset based on this publicity image and screenshot.

10. Maurice

Pierelli rubber flooring was used on the bridge. Maybe this is the same stuff in white?

11. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

Can you share the source for that info?

12. Maurice

It’s in the book Return To Tomorrow.

Lt. Washburn likes this.
  13. Donny

While a lot of the flooring on the Refit sets was indeed raised, the flooring in sickbay was indented/divoted. Or most likely consisted of perforated rubber sheeting laying on the floor, as evidenced by this screencap.
    [​IMG]
    I believe the TWOK "Jefferies Tube" also consisted of the perforated sheeting:
    [​IMG]

David cgc likes this.
  14. Christopher

Could it be the same stuff, but installed upside-down? Would it be constructed that way?

15. Donny

I don't think so. This flooring appears thicker whereas the Pirelli rubber flooring used elsewhere appears pretty thin. Also, the patterns are different. The sickbay flooring's perforations are in a hexagonal arrangement, whereas the Pirelli's protrusions are arranged squarely.

Here's a good pic showing the difference:
    [​IMG]
    Although the hexagonal perforated material of the TMP bridge conn looks to be solid metal or sturdy plastic, whereas what is lining the floors in sickbay is probably cheaper rubber.

16. Christopher

I think they'd probably prefer to make the decks out of rubber, since metal would be noisy to walk on and all the dialogue would have to be looped. Although IIRC, they had to loop all the bridge dialogue in TMP anyway due to the noise of the projectors behind the console "monitors."

17. blssdwlf

Maybe the TMP sickbay had the perforated arrangement and production switched it to the squared protrusion version for TWOK? From what I can see in the screenshots they appear to be the squared protrusions for TWOK although the exam room where Scotty's nephew? dies the floor looks flat. Or it's random and sickbay has both floor versions depending on where you're looking?

EDIT:
    Two types of flooring at the same time in TMP sickbay?

or even more interesting - it could be an optical illusion and the flooring in TWOK is actually all perforated? Take a look at this of the exam floor in TMP. Depending on how the light hits the floor it starts to shift to protruding (IMHO.)

EDIT 2:
    Actually it's weird how the floor changes in that shot. I can't explain it :crazy:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  18. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

blssdwlf likes this.
  19. Donny

@blssdwlf, keep in mind that from a certain angle the hexagonal pattern can look square, but it isn't. Check this out from my renderings:
    Looking into the office, you can tell the floor pattern is hexagonal
    [​IMG]
    But turn 90 degrees, the pattern looks more square, especially the farther away you get from the camera (click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]
    This may be what's causing you to think the sickbay flooring in some of the above shots you referenced is square.

In any case, I still believe the sickbay floor is perforated, and does not consist of protrusions. The shadowing convinces me so.

Before clicking on that link, I thought you were referring to the Nancy Crater illusion :lol:

BajaTym, Henoch, BK613 and 4 others like this.
  20. blssdwlf

Thanks for the examples on the rotation. I see what you're saying about it looking square when lined up.

I think what tripped me up is that in the TWOK screenshots is an optical illusion where I see that the shadow of the circle is at the bottom of the circle (suggesting raised) and not at the top. This optical illusion is apparent in the exam room where the blurring of the perforations makes it start to look raised (at least for me) next to the perforations. So - yes - definitely agree that it is perforated in sickbay. :techman: