Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mulgrew resented freshmeat on her soundstage insinuating that she wasn''t good enough to carry the show, just by being there, but Kate would clatter to the heavens if someone thought she couldn't stand on her own two feet with out the help of dinosaurs... Which I suppose is what happened anyway?

Frakes said in an interview recently that he could sense clearly his presence in the Enterprise Finale quite gutted Scotty.

Any one getting a MIrror Mirror vibe here?

I can just picture Mulgrew handing Dax a poisoned apple for being too pretty.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

That's my point exactly. Where the Prometheus is in the episode is arbitrary.

3. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No its not, as the network of stations in the Delta Quadrant only reached up to the edge of the Delta Quadrant/maybe a bit into the Beta quadrant. DS9 was firmly in the alpha quadrant and quite a far bit away from the endpoint of those stations.

4. DonIago

Yes, and the location of the stations is to some extent equally arbitrary.

5. You_Will_Fail

It wouldn't make much sense for the stations to pass so close to DS9 imo since that would mean passing right around the Federation.

6. WarpCore

WarpCore Lieutenant Red Shirt

Is it worth mentioning that DS9 introduced cannon that prevents a decent EMH/DS9 crossover? The EMH would have been stuck in Quark's.

Doctor Bashir, I Presume
    BASHIR: A holographic doctor can literally replace a starship's medical officer during an emergency.
    ZIMMERMAN: I'm surprised you don't have one on the station.
    SISKO: The station facilities are Cardassian in origin. Most of our equipment is incompatible with Federation technology.

And from The Search, Bashir doesn't make the Defiant's sickbay sound as advanced as the average SF except for its battle systems. No mention of holo-emiters until they use the silly communication one for all of 2 episodes.

IMO, any attempt of a Voyager/DS9 crossover would come off forced or simply bad if they resorted to all holograms. I guess Q could have done it and pit the two crews against each other in some silly scenario. Might as well add send Picard, Bateson, Kirk, and Garrett invites at that point.

7. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Hunters: A good follow up to Message In a Bottle. We learn more about the Hirogen, and the relay station is used to retrieve messages from the Alpha Quadrant. I thought the B-Plot with the letters was very moving, but also quite sad. Chakotay discovers that the Dominion have wiped out the Maquis, Janeway discovers that her fiance has married another women, and Paris isn't able to retrieve the letter from his father.
    I also enjoyed the scenes on the Hirogen ship.
    No complaints.
    7/10

Prey: A great follow-up to Hunters. The star of this episode, IMO, was Seven of Nine. I loved her attitude and the way she disobeyed Janeway's orders in order to save the ship. Right now I think she's one of the most multidimensional characters on the show. She doesn't blindly follow Janeway's like everyone else. She thinks for herself, speaks her mind, and if she thinks the captain is wrong she takes action.
    8/10

8. AdmiralScreed

Truth is, I'm not much of a writer. But if they'd gotten the DS9 and VOY writers together I am sure they could have come up with something golden.

@ You_Will_Fail, when I suggested a DS9/VOY crossover I was not implying just a quick cameo by Quark or Jadzia. I meant a story that makes good use of both casts. Actually, another idea I had was to just do a Dominion War episode on Voyager. Somehow the Doctor or some of the other VOY characters become involved in a struggle between the Federation and the Dominion. Don't ask me how, I'm no writer, but in capable hands I think it could have worked.

9. You_Will_Fail

Well as I've said "Message in a Bottle" is its own story, it never claimed it would feature the Dominion or DS9 so being disappointed it didn't makes no sense to me.

RE: Hunters- its a good episode but not great, there's something about Jeri Taylor's writing that is really quite middle of the road, she rarely ever bangs it out of the park.
    I'm disappointed that they cut the Janeway/Chakotay kissing scene from this episode that was supposed to lead to their romance. Janeway desperately needed humanizing in this show and a relationship would have been a good way to do that.

RE: Prey - on of Trek's finest episodes. The conflict between Janeway and Seven is something the show has really lacked in the first three seasons due to far too much safe storytelling. Seven finally brought some conflict and another point of view, when that should have been the Maquis all along. Good to see her face up to Janeway and openly disagree "And you will fail" and a fantastic ending. Janeway is basically pwned by Seven at the end.

10. AdmiralScreed

And as its own story I think that it is merely good, not great. IMO, a DS9/Voy crossover would have been much more interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

11. You_Will_Fail

A DS9/VOY crossover would have been much more interesting than "Displaced" or "Elogium" but you never brought it up then.

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I kinda liked Displaced.

You're in luck. You're in for a string of good episodes on Voyager. The Hirogen are the Jem'Hadar of the Delta Quadrant, without all that mindless God-worship. I really like them and think they are the best race that Voyager encounters.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

On the flip side it could have been a disaster.

14. AdmiralScreed

@Macleod: You're right. It could have been a disaster. On the flipside of your flipside it could have been a roaring success. I'm willing to bet that if the DS9 writers had been really involved (and didn't just leave it up to the VOY writers) it probably would have been great.
    But we'll never know...

15. AdmiralScreed

I liked Displaced quite a bit too. I don't understand a lot of the hate it gets from fans.

16. You_Will_Fail

That's totally besides the point. Saying "Message in a Bottle" would have been better with a DS9 crossover doesn't makes much more sense than saying any other episode would have been better with it.

17. DonIago

Except it kind of does given that one of the main plot points of MiaB is Voyager establishing contact with the Federation for the first time since the show began.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only because Paris never saw back to the Future 2 or back to the Future 3.

Fuck.

it was nineteen ninety 6.

They could have put virus on the botany bay, which would have invisibly infected Kirks enterprise 200 years later, and deposit time delayed mail into trustworthy computer systems that wouldn't have to survive world war iii.

failing that, Spock could be trusted to keep a secret for another century.

McCoy maybe, but Scotty had a serious drinking problem.

For gods sake Raine Robinson and Henry Starling helped build the Botany Bay, and that entire class of vessel! Why else would she have a scale model of it in her lab?

If they'd trust a Romulan with their secret origin, even though Telek Rimor seemed cool, why not Spock?

I always took the line "The Romulans have always been interested in Voyager" to be a nod to Eye of the Needle.

On Supernatural last week, the hauntingly attractive brother, lost in time, actually says "I'll use the Biff Styrategy!"

The Biff Strategy

I loath Supernatural.

You don't think everything that happened during Message in a Bottle was all part of Telek Rimor's plan from beyond the grave to get Voyager Home?

19. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then I'd think they'd be relayed to a Federation station not a Bajorian one. Stealing a Starfleet ship and the Romulans entering Federation space without permission is a violation of the Neutral Zone treaty. The crew of the Enterprise would be more likely to be involved than anyone from DS9 due to the diplomatic nature of the situation. If anything, a crossover with TNG makes more sense than DS9.

20. DonIago

Except that the TNG folks weren't actively producing at the time this episode aired.