do you think it's wise for the producers of the picard show to keep the details so close to the vest

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by WildManWizard, Apr 18, 2019.

1. WildManWizard

WildManWizard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

it seems to me they should give us something to build excitement

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

They haven't made anything yet, I think it is about to start production. I am sure we get more once it gets close to be shown, then the publicity machine goes into full gear. EW probably will do a special issue on it.

3. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a bunch more info, possibly even a title, very quickly after the Discovery finale. That way they can take advantage of the publicity and fan interest around it.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I imagine either Comic-Con (Late July) or Star Trek Vegas (Early August) will be our first big info drop outside of casting.

Depending on how secretive they want to be, they might do a BTS reel after the first month of filming like they did with Discovery Season 1 and 2.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They don't want to steal Disco's thunder. Photos and details will come soon.

Thefallguy likes this.
  6. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right now they dont want to take focus off discovery.

7. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

According to the folks at Midnight's Edge on youtube, the Picard show is having difficulty designing costumes and visuals that merchandisers think will sell. I don't know if thats even true but if so it explain the secrecy.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. Krandor

Nothing midnights edge says can be taken seriously. They have an agenda.

9. F. King Daniel

Midnight's Edge (and Doomcock) make up nonsense pandering to angry fanboys, who lap it up. They make Youtube money from it. I doubt they believe what they say.

Kzinti, Turtletrekker, BillJ and 7 others like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, close to the vest is generally wise, in my opinion. Especially in Hollywood.

SolarisOne and Qonundrum like this.
  11. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Whatever their motives, some of their videos are engaging, from a hollywood behind-the-scenes perspective. If potential merchandisers can affect the visual development of the new Picard show then the merchandising side of Star Trek appears to be bigger than ever before. If it's true, I wonder what kind of uniforms and ships they think will sell.

Qonundrum likes this.
  12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

So they're no better than any other youtube video outlet, it's not exactly a jaw dropper. They all have one thing in common: The right to say whatever they want based on whatever fact and/or inference, something anyone could do*. They do admit "anonymous source" early on, meaning if people don't want to continue listening to the video they can click on another video. Is there any real problem there, TBH? If nothing else, Doomcock is somewhat more creative in presentation - using cringe material a la South Park or more ribald Family Guy style gags but if nothing else he's entertaining, which seems to be the main point of an entertainer to be? So if it's just entertainment, that's all it is. A fun show?

And after a certain point, if they're saying not to buy the junk and all that, why would they receive junk since someone else spent the money despite being told the meme about wallets wide closed at Tenagra or whatever, spend the money to go to the conventions, and so on. Or, rather, has any of them discussed any line between where buying the cool stuff stops being cool? So, yeah, when you say they doubt they believe what they say, it is not inconceivable - or is at least entertaining supposition.

* even one of their buddies, who is easily the most laughable of the bunch but everyone else just didn't see the video in question and I'm not going to give that one any free advertising.

Armus likes this.
  13. Krandor

It isn’t behind the scenes because they don’t know what they are talking about. merchendicera are not dictating the creative decisions of Star Trek.

Ruufio, Kzinti, Turtletrekker and 2 others like this.
  14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo. Noting B5 vs DS9 and the tangled issues there, or that Simpsons episode where Homer blabbed with actors - who then pitched the ideas as their own, yadda yadda yadda.

I heard that as well. And while it's a tad conflation on my part, noting all the Star Wars toys not being sold or Discovery and DW having new releases sold at interestingly low sticker prices but still aren't selling all that great - is it always due to alleged backlash or are there other factors, especially if half these folks are saying (paraphrased) "They're looking for casual viewers, audiences who have the TV on in the other room and don't care". Merchandise sales are seen to some extent as a litmus test of popularity of sorts... or that's how some perceive it, certainly...

Still, Picard set in the future (JJVerse) allows for a lot less constraint than the "25%" issue, since Pike's laughably bad uniform with that collar and other issues no longer apply... and characters can change over time. The upcoming Picard show could be a success, especially if the handling of Picard is done with care.

Armus likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

No, it's not set in the JJverse.

Kzinti, serabine and SolarisOne like this.
  16. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

If people find agenda-driven misinformation entertaining, good luck to them. I'm only bothered by it when people regurgitate that misinformation, eg:

Greg Cox and serabine like this.
  17. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's wise for the producers of any show to release information according to a schedule created from a marketing strategy. Randomly releasing information or whenever fans start clamoring for it doesn't maximize impact. You want a large number of people to want to see the show, and therefore heighten anticipation accordingly.

Greg Cox likes this.
  18. A1 Toys

A1 Toys Cadet Newbie

Discovery merchandise sells very well. Why wouldn't Picard?

19. Disco!Disco!

Disco!Disco! Commander Red Shirt

You enjoy being lied to?

It's disinformation that gets repeated as fact.

See. This is the problem right here.

The Picard series takes place in the Prime Universe after the Romulan disaster which led to the creation of the Kelvinverse. It's not set in the JJverse.

The 25% thing was a directive Eaves claimed was given to him when designing the Discoprise. So much BS got attached to that by the likes of Midnight's Edge, and here you are repeating some of it as fact.

20. El Maestro

El Maestro Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’m not at all a merchandise/marketing professional, but don’t you think they would be smart enough to temper any expectations about merch sales given that the streaming subscriber audience pool is smaller than a broadcast or cable network and thus there will be fewer sales?