Do you think Barclay and Troi had sex when they went on a date at the end of "The Nth Degree"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Unimatrix Q, May 9, 2018.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She also filled a role as foreign relations advisor, & cultural attaché, which is something I could see being useful on the bridge. Granted, to be of value, she needed much more of that than the other stuff she did. I never had a problem with her duties, or being on the bridge, just that they never really represented either very well imho. Apart from Picard, she really is supposed to be the diplomat on board, as well as a mental health professional

Qonundrum, 2takesfrakes and Kilana2 like this.
  2. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never thought about that before seeing this topic title. Can't really say I particularly care whether the answer would be 'yes' or 'no' either.

However, I'm inclined to believe 'no', Their relation seemed too therapeutic for that (even at the end of that episode).

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree the bridge officer thing was a mistake and it's something you could tell they didn't think to hard about. I think she was their because she could read the aliens on the viewscreens emotions which they felt would be more important than it ever really ended up being. Problem of course is this would only be handy if you had the luck of having a Betazoid as your ship's counselor. Which makes me wonder if this was more of a Picard idea than Starfleet policy. At least that is how it makes most sense to me. The other issue is she didn't have anything to do on the bridge but basically sit in a chair. Calling it a post seems almost like a joke. I see it more of as a bad idea that they simply started write around in later years. Giving her a office to talk to people being a big improvement. Jeri Taylor coming aboard and being a woman I think also helped improve the character as well in later seasons. Never became a great character like Crusher never was a great character but they did improve over time.

Jason

4. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Reg was more appealing on 'steroids' I think Troi was a little curious.

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Whenever any 90s Trek does a food scene: :luvlove::luvlove::luvlove::luvlove::luvlove:

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Oh, you mean with each other? No.

Qonundrum likes this.
  7. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither seems the sort to f*** on the first date.

Yet theoretically, her duties as counselor might have included surrogate partner therapy. Still, by definition, a surrogate partner is a surrogate for someone else.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Didn't Troi on the first date with Devonani Ral? And totally did with Riker on their first date.

I don't think in general in TNG power structure boundaries are considered a problem with relationships.

But Troi wasn't attracted to Barcalay.

9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Tori would never let a dweeb like Barclay hit it.

Never not ever.

2takesfrakes and Nakita Akita like this.
  10. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

For sure!
    She preferred creepy guys.

Qonundrum likes this.
  11. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

Troi loved the D, the Enterprise D that is.

12. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What Barclay didn't know was that Troi had a holo fantasy program of him too the whole time

13. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Devinoni Ral from "The Price" ...

Vger23 likes this.
  14. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Worse was when they are in her quarters and he tells her, " Don't play Conselor Troi with me."
    Or whatever he said.
    If done git I barely knew said that to me like that he'd of been our of my room on his ass.

And then being the bad judge of character that she is she's hosing him later.
    Dumb dumb dumb

Marynator likes this.
  15. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

DIdn't Troi have a post realtionship with Rai from "The Price?" That was what I always assumed so it made sense to me that they would have a more casual way of speaking towards each other and having sex so fast wouldn't seem so far fetched. He seems a little combative of RIker as well so if I would make a guess is he was basically her first rebound romance after RIker choose to put more focus on his career. I'm guessing it didn't last long though since she didn't even know he had empathic skills as well. It's possible they might have encountered each other after the breakup as well once in awhile because of proffesional reasons. Maybe even make a second go at it only for it to still not work out.

Jason

16. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, pretty much everything about Troi's encounter with Devinoni Ral indicates she'd only just met him, & got swept up with his play

17. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that would have been fun to see! I mean, she and Geordi in the holodeck with Leah Brahms with the picnic basket and all... :devil: