Do you think Barclay and Troi had sex when they went on a date at the end of "The Nth Degree"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Unimatrix Q, May 9, 2018.

1. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Miles is a high bar to surpass though. Even Kirk looks bad compared to Miles O'Brien

May 20 and 2takesfrakes like this.
  2. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

You can say or think whatever you'd like.

I've had it up to my eyebrows with having to listen to adult men turn EVERYThing into a dirty sex discussion, action, term or whatever.

There was only sexual action in the Barcley
    Episodes within the personal viewer's own mind.

I viewed the episodes as having an emotional perspective, which was in line with Barcley's issues.

Twilight Phoenix likes this.
  3. Twilight Phoenix

Twilight Phoenix Captain Captain

Excuse me, but just to make sure...
    Did you answer to me with a video that basically says "Cut the crap" and "Shut up, loser" ? Is it supposed to be indirect way to break the forum rules about etiquette and respect ?

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What? I wouldn't dream of it. The "Jan" video was in response to the Barclay MEME only and not to yourself, I assure you. T'was meant merely to suggest that Barclay needs to grow a pair, that's all ...

5. Twilight Phoenix

I, myself, made that meme. And I already stated that I, myself, suffer from anxiety like Reg. So that's basically me you're mocking and me you're yelling to grow a pair. And I won't accept it. Your psychophobic views irritate me to the outmost and I won't stay silent in front of such ignorance.
    Oh and by the way : after surviving daily harassment and bullying for 10 years, emotional abuse, physical assault, severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder and much MUCH more in 30 years, I think I already have a big pair, thank you.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  6. 2takesfrakes

I reserved my comments for the fictional character of Barclay, only, and nobody else, Real or otherwise. I'm not even sure that Barclay's condition is a condition. It's more like anything that gets him in Troi's office. My issue with the character isn't even that he has issues, not directly, anyway. It's to do with the fact that he's really only "there" to put the regular cast in a bad light, because the writing staff hated writing for larger than life characters. They would've been much happier writing for another show, but found themselves on TNG and not liking the creative restrictions, so they came up with Barclay and his "issues." Now, if you've been bullied, or whatever for having issues of your own, I'm sorry to hear that ... really, I am. But none of what I was typing was about anyone else other than a character on TNG that I happen to dislike for various reasons.

7. Twilight Phoenix

I never said you had to like him. What I would like is you to understand that calling someone a "mental case", comparing him to Hitler or saying he should "grow a pair", just because said person has a mental illness, is insulting and unacceptable. Just like calling someone with Down syndrom the R-word is unacceptable, or calling a lesbian the D-word is unacceptable. Period.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  8. 2takesfrakes

With that ...
    I take my leave of you. Thank you, for your insights! Our conversation has been most interesting.

9. Abi Smith

Abi Smith Commander Red Shirt

People are different.
    They have value.

The glory of creation is in it's infinite diversity -Gene Roddenberry

Avro Arrow and Twilight Phoenix like this.
  10. Nakita Akita

:confused:
    I thought he was bustin' on me.
    Not you.

11. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

It is unfathomable to me that in this day and age, that someone would actually suggest this as a valid response to someone with anxiety issues. This is akin to someone telling someone suffering from depression, "just cheer up, and stop being depressed!".

These things do not work like that. I would invite you to perhaps learn more about these issues, in the hopes that it might increase your levels of compassion and understanding.

CorporalCaptain, Mojochi, Kor and 3 others like this.
  12. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

And that's why I'm happy that Barclay as character is there. IDIC includes not only physically and mentally strong hero guys but also characters with difficulties who are also capable of making their contributions.

Kor, StefanM, Uncle_Lou and 3 others like this.
  13. Nakita Akita

I agree.
    From my perspective all of the charaters are so above reproach it seems. Even when they are wrong, they are right.
    They all have such levels of intelligence that it is intimidating.
    To me Barclay is the only person that is normal on the ship. He has faults or issues but he still can get the job done. He graduated from The Academy even though he can't quote Shakespeare, even erroneously, at the drop of a hat, of can state the atomic weight of such and such off of the top of his head all of the time.

He is a refreshing look at life on the ship. He isn't perfect like the rest of them. He is probably the most realistic character in the series.

The other point would be if I am going to dis on a character, I pretty much try to specify that it is the character I am dissing on.
    I think a statement using the character's name would suffice.

14. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Barclay was better integrated in Voyager. Janeway has a knack for integration. She did it with Seven and with the former Marquis.
    Even Geordi had to justify himself because of is VISOR.

15. Gary8

Gary8 Ensign Newbie

Nooo.

16. Nakita Akita

Seriously?
    What is supposed to add?

17. Uncle_Lou

Uncle_Lou Lieutenant Red Shirt

"Infinite diversity in infinite combinations" - Vulcan philosophy

Unfortunately, what you perceive as "unfathomable" has become 'standard operating procedure' in Drumpfmerica, where this sort of bile currently has a (toxic, orange) mouthpiece -- Cry more!! Go scream at the sky, libtard!! Make me a sandwich, bitch!! I'm NOT racist because racism doesn't EXIST!! SJWs are ruining EVERYTHING!! -- all mindsets/battle hymns of the 'alt-right' and those like them. A dwindling subset of warped, broken white males that long for the "good ol days"....you know, when brown people were considered property and women stayed in the kitchen. Times are-a-changin' FAST, and these socially stunted relics of the past are doomed to be left there. We're listening to their collective death rattle.

On topic: I think the *REAL* question here is, would I like to go on a date & have sex with troi. Yes. Yes I would.

18. Nakita Akita

I think you are assuming that 2TakesFrajes is a white male in the USA that voted for Trump.
    It could be true but still might be presumptious.
    I think it might be narrow minded to assume this though.

19. Uncle_Lou

Uncle_Lou Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wasn't assuming anything as I wasn't specifically referring to '2TakesFrakes'; I was referring to a poisonous mindset in general. My wording specifies this. ;)
    The adage "If it walks like a duck..." could certainly apply here, but is also wide open for interpretation.
    What he is - or isn't - is honestly no concern (or care) of mine.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  20. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's an interesting way of looking at it too. I just kind of saw his holodeck addiction thing as being about stress mostly. The Troi & Bev characters he made were mostly there to provide a stress reduction kind of comfort, which is why he's relaxing with Troi & napping with Bev. Dude's living with a lot of anxiety, & THAT is his primary concern/obstacle, not anything to do with sexual urges