Do you love or hate the Ferengi episodes, overall?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Navaros, Aug 17, 2008.

?

Do you love or hate the Ferengi episodes, overall?

1. I love the Ferengi episodes, overall.

65 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. I hate the Ferengi episodes, overall.

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Other than "Profit and Lace" I love all Ferengi episodes.

2. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to like it, but I've come to find Leeta absolutely annoying. And since she features prominently in this episode, I find it annoying to watch.

3. pimp

pimp Commander Red Shirt

Do you know that in the middle east the word Ferengi means Westerner. The Western people are seen as treacherous, greedy etc so are called Ferengi which means that Quark and all Ferengi represent the human race of today.

4. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's funny, during the original run of the series I always cringed when the Ferengi were featured/highlighted. With subsequent rewatching of the show, however, I have come to really love these episodes and find them to be some of the most entertaining. Most of the credit goes to Shimmerman, as when they gave Quark something good to do he really was able to give consistently solid performances. "The House of Quark" jumps to mind as an example of an episode that could have been a shambles but that Shimmerman almost single-handedly turns into, IMHO, a great hour of television. Rom and Nog are less interesting compared to quark (although both characters got more complex with time), but still great to watch.

In "The Deep Space Nine Companion" it really comes across how strongly Shimmerman thought about Quark, his motives, aspirations, etc, and played him with more depth than most of the other actors put into their characters.

5. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

A couple of the Ferrengi eps are terrible, but overall, I like them. I wouldn't say I love them, but I like them. And I think Quark is an awesome character.

6. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Quark is a great character, I totally agree. I think it's easy to forget how important he was as a supporting character in episodes such as "In the Pale Moonlight" or "The Siege of AR-558". He's very observant and offers a great 'outside' view of the Federation and Starfleet that we never really got in Star Trek outside of DS9 IMHO.

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really like the Ferengi (stereotypes aside) and a lot of the episodes. Shimmerman as Quark is priceless, hilarious and surprising. Loved TMF, LGM etc. Not so sure about Zek... that guy is a little weird... and Gaila... :S

8. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

I hate Ferengi episodes full stop, How Ferengi survived thus far, is beyond me,
    perhaps buying their way out :D

9. Marie1

^ ...even the humour? What about Quark in Captive Pursuits? Or the Maquis part 2?

10. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Quark was a much more interesting character when all the Ferengi weren't around. He became a bit of a charicature whenever the family and co. were in town.

When I watched the show first run, I liked the episodes generally. Having rewatched the series a couple of times though, I find about half of the Ferengi episodes tolerable, whilst the other half range from average to bottom-of-the-barrel. Emperor's New Cloak, Profit and Lace, Prophet Motive, Ferengi Love Songs, Family Business, Rules of Aquisition can all go away.

Business as Usual, Body Parts, Little Green Men and The Magnificent Ferengi are the best ones, IMO.

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

^I pretty much agree with your comments about good and bad Ferengi episodes.

'Little Green Men' and 'Magnificent Ferengi' are fabulous outings, and some of my fave DS9 eps.

'Profit and Lace' is of course, terrible. 'Emperor's New Cloak' I disliked, because it was simply stupid (Why is there a human Vic Fontaine in the mirror universe? Why do they act like they've never heard of cloaking devices before, when we clearly saw Alliance cruisers using cloaks in previous Mirror episodes?)

12. Marie1

Holy cow I never noticed... thats so weird!! :confused:

13. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Second that, Brunt rocks. :)

14. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

There really isn't a single thing I can say bad about the Ferengi. They are hands down my favorite alien race. They also make for some great reads. Caveat Emptor was a good short read. The 34th rule was excellent. And Quark was always fun to watch.

15. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I'm gonna be in the minority here, and say that IMO, DS9 did more damage to the Ferengi race tha any bad episode of TNG could ever have.

TNG gave us the Ferengi, and at first, yes, they were awkward, comedic, and not taken seriously. However, when season 3 of TNG came around, thank god that began to change... the Ferengi finally felt right... the episode with the Barzan Wormhole gave us duplicitous Ferengi that were much more serious and believable. THAT was how the Ferengi should have remained.

But DS9 totally killed any semblance of integrity to the Ferengi. The Nagus was a joke, Moogie was a joke, and they took the Ferengi need for profit to ludicrously silly levels... the "Divine Treasury"? C'mon...

The writers of DS9 had one thing in mind only... to use the Ferengi to make us laugh. Not only did it fail... it grew horribly tired and old.

There WERE a few good war episodes with Nog, this is true... and I DO give them kudos for at least trying to handle Nog in a decent manner... but Rom, Quark, and Brunt always seemed like the typical funny alien material, and I hated it.

16. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

The Ferengi have a place in any start trek episode, but only in the B-plot, not the A-plot. Overall, the Ferengi episodes dragged DS9 down. Way down.

17. Marie1

There are times personally when I preferred the Ferengi B-plot and wished it'd been the A plot... or the only plot. Such as Meridian.

And I liked Ferengi eps like Magnificent Ferengi and that one where they go to Roswell so much! So funny!

Not as big of a fan of the writing for the Grand Nagus, or of Gaila in general. But I think what Ishka was doing was brave and vital. And, since the Ferengi weren't like they are in the past- I'm not complaining if the shed their greed and oppression of women.

18. Josh_Lyman

Josh_Lyman Commander Red Shirt

I didn't like the Ferengi until DS9 and Quark.

19. Morfius

Morfius Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Before DS9, I hated the Ferengi, after DS9, I loved them! (but they still shouldn't have been on Enterprise)

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I thought they were great, in general. Some of the humor was terrific, and it was nice seeing a different culture.

Besides a few of them had me laughing ridiculously hard.