Do you listen to radio?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Velocity, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, exactly. Except there are obviously people who enjoy it. I am not among them.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I thought it meant songs that are easy to listen to...
    It plays Katy Perry, but it also plays A-ha's "Take On Me."

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I miss the radio I grew up listening to. Though even then, folks were lamenting that it was changing.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWwN3T2xkc[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63_HRwdAgk[/yt]

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Yeah. Maybe it will die out and make a comeback, like vinyl.

That's how I think of it, too.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course not. We're not in the 1950's. I do have a few Internet stations that I occasional listen to, but an actual radio? No.

6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem with that generic a definition is that "easy to listen to" is in the ear of the beholder (behearer?). I find it easy to listen to any music that I really like. Music that I dislike, I find difficult to listen to.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ "Pop" has been a fairly broad definition too.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

"Soft Rock." :rommie:

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not at home. I just listen to my own stuff here. When in the car I'll usually listen to classic rock or alternative/modern rock, or sports if one of my favorite teams are playing at the time (occasionally I'll listen to sports talk, though that can get pretty inane real quick).

10. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My alarm clock comes on to a new station and I listen to that for a few minutes each morning, but other than that only in the car (if I don't want to listen to a podcast), and occasionally at work if I have a mundane task to do.
    There are a few classic rock stations that I like.

11. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love listening to the radio. However, I don't do it as often as I used to. First of all, ever since I moved to this city, I drive much less. Since the radio is always on in my car, this has reduced my radio listening.

I switched to Linux a few months ago and now I find myself spending more time listening to the radio, because everything was already set-up and nicely intergrated in my Linux distribution.

12. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Lieutenant Red Shirt

About all I listen to these days are the local college classical station and a news/talk station. The latter tends to cause problems with my blood pressure so I don't torture myself that often. When it comes to music, I'm a hardcore station flipper. I keep looking until I find a song that I like and/or recognize, rinse and repeat.

13. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since I don't have a working TV at home and no platform to watch things online, radio is my default. But then again, I'm not home very much. While driving I will listen to sports talk, of which I'm pretty picky as most of it is insufferably inane, news, and public affairs programming.

I have come to increasingly appreciate www.federalnewsradio.com over the last couple of years. The topics that are featured throughout the day are surprisingly diverse. Admittedly a lot of is paid programming but the moderators are invariably on top of the subject matter. Federal procurement practices interesting? Who knew?!!!! :lol:

14. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

When I drive, I listen to two awesome hard rock stations.......and sometimes a talk radio station.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Every few months, I listen to the local NPR affiliate for a few days. I've just got a cheap, old, one-speaker radio though, so for music I'll usually listen to accuradio.com.

16. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I listen to it when I'm driving, but not at home, unless it is the only way to catch an Ole Miss football game.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Does Pandora count?

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of my Pandora account on my smartphone and stream a lot of different music and other material. As per conventional FM and AM radio, I don't listen to all that much anymore and I don't have any subscriptions to satellite radio providers (nor am I interested in any).

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

19. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I never listen to the radio except for news, traffic reports or live football coverage (and even that only when I happen to be driving).

Podcasts and personalized playlists really killed that medium for me.