Do you listen to radio?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Velocity, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Several stations in the Boston area used to run old radio shows like 'The Shadow', 'Sherlock Holmes' and others. They were great late night listening.

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes. Mainly in the car though. Usually to music, sometimes NPR.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I listen to NPR on my commute to and from work. I don't listen to any music stations.

4. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the car to and from work, which adds up to about 40 minutes each day. I never listened to radio as a kid, and consequently did not know many of the songs that were popular at the time, which is a bit of a social handicap.

5. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothing live, only via Podcast and the iPlayer

6. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the truck I have Sirius, at work I listen to KISM out of Bellingham Wa. (Our Local Stations suck in Victoria).

7. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Until I came here:

WBBM News Radio (Chicago Market)
    NPR (National Public Radio)
    WSFR (Star Fleet Radio)
    "Boothby in the Morning"
    "Seven of Nine Countdown" -afternoon drive/fly time

Here in the U.A.E., not so much...1 Classical Station and a lot of Koranic channels

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

9. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I listen to radio all of the time. In the car, at work, at home when I can. I have radio's set on my local high school station (classic rock) and listen when they aren't playing gospel music. I also tune in to the local classic country station, although they seem to think that classic country only goes back to 1981. There's a local classic rock station and a current country station as well. None of these commercial stations have compelling personalities but they are a great source of local "going's on" and news.

10. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't sleep without music, so yeah, I listen to the radio at night.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in over a decade.

Between the fact U.S. music has sucked for at least that long, the absolutely stupid commercials and the fact I have hundreds of CD's, it hasn't appealed to me in a very long time.

I've had Sirius a few times in the last several years, most notably in the last 2 new Jeeps, but those Jeeps also have hard drives for mp3's and I've had about 150 CD's worth of music on each of them, so I didn't renew the Sirius after the free year ran out.

I would recommend Sirius/XM to anyone who doesn't have a massive CD or mp3 collection. Tons of choices and the music stations are still commercial-free.

For nachtmusik, I have about 50 Celtic CD's from various artists. Some traditional, some more new-agey.

12. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

As a native Seattleite, (even one whose lived in NYC for over a decade) I am obligated to listen to and rave about KEXP. I also listen to Pandora a lot, and have a few good stations: there's a classical complete station that plays only complete pieces, which is awesome, a decent opera station, and a few different rock stations. The selection can be a bit limited, though, and once I made the mistake of thumbing up the one Dave Matthews song I liked and it kept playing me shitty Dave Matthews music the rest of the day.

13. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, it was Arbitron. I talked to the first guy until he wanted everyone in the house to keep journals and mail them back, etc. But they didn't quit calling. It was really annoying. I have a clock/radio that I have had since sometime in the 70's or 80's, but never used the radio part. The clock is one of those that changes the time by flipping little number panels. It still keeps good time and the alarm works so I can't justify buying something more modern.

14. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am a loyal listener of National Public Radio (NPR) and I have been for years. I appreciate their national and local news programs and appreciate the fact that they have other news programs and points of view from other countries, including programs from the CBC in Canada, and the BBC. There are also interesting interview programs with authors, politicians, scientists, historians, entertainers, etc., on programs like "Fresh Air" and "The Diane Rhem Show". Weekends I listen to shows more geared towards entertainment like "Prairie Home Companion", "Wait, Wait- Don't Tell Me!", "This American Life", "Thistle & Shamrock", and "Vinyl Cafe". Ed Walker out of D.C. broadcasts a nice selection of old radio shows on Sunday Nights.

I also occasionally tune in to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, just to hear what they have to say first hand.... so to be able to assure people that I am not simply relying on Jon Stewart or Colbert to point out & tell me what such characters are spouting on the airwaves. I am self-employed, and NPR keeps me informed and entertained as I work at home. (I am aware of how this sounds like a testimonial broadcast during Pledge Week!..... ;) )

15. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I listen to NPR most of the time, though I switch to music (a mix station, usually) if I'm driving for a long time on the open road.

16. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I listen to the radio any time I am in the car. Usually alt rock, classic rock, country, pop, NPR, or a local radio show in the mornings. I have wide ranging tastes. At work I often listen to Pandora.

I had three months free XM radio when I got a new car, and I wasn't very impressed. Of all the available stations, only 2 were of any interest to me, and I didn't even care for those all that much.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Every day. I'm a talk radio junkie and during commercials I listen to a couple of classic rock stations.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That was one reason I was thinking of getting satellite radio. But I found an iPhone app that streams tons of those old shows. I listen to that a lot.

Coincidentally, I used to listen to that in junior high school on the above-mentioned Medieval Knight radio.

19. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

I listen to the radio only when I am in my fathers car and he has talk radio on. About 1/2 hour a week.

Everywhere else I carry my ipod.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I listen to BBC Radio 2 on 25 minute commute to and from work.