Poll Do you consider Discovery to truly be in the Prime Timeline at this point?

Is it?

• Yes, that's the official word and it still fits

Votes: 194 44.7%
  • Yes, but it's borderline at this point

Votes: 44 10.1%
  • No, there's just too many inconsistencies

Votes: 147 33.9%
  • I don't care about continuity, just the show's quality

Votes: 49 11.3%

• Total voters
Before anyone says there are hard and fast rules in the Star Trek universe, bish please... Perhaps one of those magic space whales saw the look of TOS and decided it was shite, so in 1986 released some magic whale seeds into the Earth's atmosphere that defy space and time and influence aesthetic design, and so that's why the Star Trek universe looks different now. The seed wave of change is a little slow, so we're only seeing the changes now in 2018, but slowly the entire Prime timeline is changing. Does that work as an explanation?
Now, this is the most convoluted explanation I've ever heard and I'm the one who tried to (jokingly) reconcile the Kelvin and the prime timeline. :D

I just don't get how Phlox could run an extensive physical examination on Klaang after he crash lands in Oklahoma and Starfleet now has a detailed medical record on the internal anatomy of a Klingon, yet about 142 years later McCoy claims he can't save Chancellor Gorkon's life because he doesn't know Klingon anatomy.

This goes beyond Phlox's medical files from more than a century before. Even McCoy has scanned Klingons before and knows they have different body temperatures and heart rates than humans. He detected Arne Darvin's Klingon identity almost immediately. Does Starfleet just have lousy backup files for its medical archives or are doctors in the service just notoriously forgetful?
Your forgot that McCoy was able to detect the Kingon agent in TOS - The Trouble With Tribbles 24 years earlier:
http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/42.htm
KIRK: Obviously. Mister Baris, they like you. Well, there's no accounting for taste. (and back to Darvin) They don't like you, Mister Darvin. I wonder why. Bones?

MCCOY: (scanning him) Heartbeat is all wrong. His body temperature is. Jim, this man is a Klingon.
^^^
And this really is one of a number of reasons I never really found STVI:TUC that good of a film.

- McCoy suddenly can't treat aliens.

-They have to get physical BOOKS to manually look up Klingon phrases. (Yes, EVEN IF direct use of their UT to transmit a reply might be recognized, you're telling me, their Computer system couldn't just display the phonetic phrases to Uhura in real time?)

- In the opening an Admiral actually asks "Are we talking about mothballing the Fleet" - as if Klingons are the ONLY aggressive alien species or star nation that is considered an enemy of the Federation - or has gone to war with them in the past.

The whole film is chock full of just plain ridiculous things that are only there because they're need for a scene or plot element that really doesn't make a lot of sense.

If the vulcans are that secretive about it, it wouldn't be in publicly available books, also doctor patient confidentiality.

If by it you mean medical stuff then it must be not that secretive so T'Pol can go to human hospital in San Francisco even before Federation time.

That information does not appear to be widely known, as even Chapel did not know what Dr. M'Benga was doing in "Private Little War."

Sorry but if put that way then there is big regress in knowledge about Vulcans between ENT,DSC and TOS. This is impossible and not logical. TOS portrayal of Vulcans is simply deprecated by newer shows especially ENT and DSC. Vulcans were on Earth 200 years before TOS and knowledge level depicted in TOS about them is simply impossible.

So does making a Klingon action figure go "argh" and throwing it back in the box.
To be fair, the Klingons in DSC also went “argh”.

It’d be nice to see a scene in DSC where whoever the cmo ends up being scans a Klingon (maybe they capture one or its a defector or they just look up scans of L’Rell for kicks) and they say “I don’t even recognise the anatomy - the scans from the NX-01 a century ago don’t look anything like this! Something must have happened to the Klingon genome in the last hundred years...”

If they can work a cameo from Phlox in there, cool. If not I can live with it.

To be fair, the Klingons in DSC also went “argh”.

It’d be nice to see a scene in DSC where whoever the cmo ends up being scans a Klingon (maybe they capture one or its a defector or they just look up scans of L’Rell for kicks) and they say “I don’t even recognise the anatomy - the scans from the NX-01 a century ago don’t look anything like this! Something must have happened to the Klingon genome in the last hundred years...”

If they can work a cameo from Phlox in there, cool. If not I can live with it.

I don't think Denobulans live that long, he was already older than they thought in Enterprise.

And I honestly couldn't tell what they were saying. I thought Starfleet had a nefarious plan to defeat the Klingons by getting them hooked on toffee so they couldn't open their mouths long enough to give an order.

I thought Starfleet had a nefarious plan to defeat the Klingons by getting them hooked on toffee so they couldn't open their mouths long enough to give an order
I thought it was peanut butter, but the effect was the same :lol:

Join my 2019 campaign for “Plain Klingon”.

I want my invented yet officially sanctioned sci-fi languages to be intelligible dagnabbit.

But seriously the Klingon dialogue was hard to watch - until Ash started talking Klingon in Qo’Nos at the end. I thought that was fine.

Knowing how fast a Klingons heart should beat and what their average body temp should be, is a loooong way from being able to actually treat them in critical situations.

And I would imagine that T'pol was treated by a Vulcan Dr. when she went to the "human hospital".
They wouldn't give us advanced tech to travel through space, I rather doubt they were willing to give humans access to their personal medical conditions beyond being able to recognizing the symptoms.

Dr. M'Benga probably had to study for several years on Vulcan, before he was allowed to treat one.:vulcan:

Sucks for McCoy that M'Benga didn't stick around until TUC.

On another note: M'Benga's someone I'd like to see in Discovery. He'd be a deep cut type of character who would slip under most people's radar. They'd think he's a new character.
Unfortunately he was busted back to medical school when he failed a crucial procedure while trying to help the CMO with that Andorian tonsillectomy.

Sorry but if put that way then there is big regress in knowledge about Vulcans between ENT,DSC and TOS. This is impossible and not logical. TOS portrayal of Vulcans is simply deprecated by newer shows especially ENT and DSC. Vulcans were on Earth 200 years before TOS and knowledge level depicted in TOS about them is simply impossible.
It's all a matter of what information was shared in the first place. The Vulcan High Command could have requested Phlox's records to be sealed for all we know.

Unfortunately he was busted back to medical school when he failed a crucial procedure while trying to help the CMO with that Andorian tonsillectomy.
I wish I could triple LIKE this...
:guffaw:

That's probably how he ended up being transferred to Vulcan to study.
:techman:

Your forgot that McCoy was able to detect the Kingon agent in TOS - The Trouble With Tribbles 24 years earlier:
http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/42.htm

^^^
And this really is one of a number of reasons I never really found STVI:TUC that good of a film.

- McCoy suddenly can't treat aliens.

-They have to get physical BOOKS to manually look up Klingon phrases. (Yes, EVEN IF direct use of their UT to transmit a reply might be recognized, you're telling me, their Computer system couldn't just display the phonetic phrases to Uhura in real time?)

- In the opening an Admiral actually asks "Are we talking about mothballing the Fleet" - as if Klingons are the ONLY aggressive alien species or star nation that is considered an enemy of the Federation - or has gone to war with them in the past.

The whole film is chock full of just plain ridiculous things that are only there because they're need for a scene or plot element that really doesn't make a lot of sense.

No. I mentioned it in my same post. ;)

But I'm glad to see we're still more or less on the same page when it comes to this topic.

I'm surprised nobody has come up with a "debooted" version of the Discovery uniform. Someone's idea of how the blingy blues look in the universe of velour sweaters and iron-on uniform patches.

It's just not a "60s" show and imagining it as such, even though some might prefer it, just feels wrong to me. It's not Discovery.

This is where my hangup is at. I don't expect a view of the future now to in any way match the view of the future from fifty years ago. That goes for the look, the technology, the way people act, and see the world and the universe.

You can match up names and dates, but you can never match that feel. Which is why I treat Discovery as its own timeline.

YMMV.

Back