Discovery to get tie-ins!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Sep 3, 2016.

1. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically, you picked the first Trek novels I ever read, and ones that to this day contain some of my favourite and most memorable bits in Trek novels. They fit well enough as post Farpoint stories, but the things go in a radically different direction. The other best bits are in Metamorphosis and Imzadi.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favourite weird early abnormality is when Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens snuck an Enterprise reference into Captain's Peril, based on the early casting sheet bios. There's a passing mention of the famous "Jack" Archer!

Markonian, TalonCard and Jinn like this.
  3. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

There are two options for TrekLit concerning this "issue":
    1. Establish that Jack is actually John's second name. Or third. It's somewhere between "Jonathan" and "Archer"
    2. make a complete novel about the adventures of Captain Jack Archer, the famous captain of a ship called Enterprise that was forgotten for canon reasons... And Section 31 is somehow involved.

Idran likes this.
  4. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

(For what it's worth, in English "Jack" is actually a nickname for John, which is probably where that came from. :p )

Jinn likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now I wish they referenced "Spike" Tucker just to see fans try to explain that :p

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, Archer's first name was originally going to be Jackson. IIRC, they changed it because it turned out there was only one real person with that name, and fiction tries to avoid using character names that are uniquely associated with a specific person (e.g. if only one person has it, or if there's someone with the same name and profession).

Idran and Jinn like this.
  7. Jinn

I don't get English nicknames. How do you go from William to Bill or Richard to Dick?

EDIT:
    That's actually quite interesting.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Markonian likes this.
  8. Christopher

9. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Novel tie-ins to an active series? Yes!
    I only slightly get how "Margaret" is shortened to "Peggy".

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to wonder how the novels and comics will relate to the show? They said it'll be one arc, so there's a chance there won't be a lot of time between episodes to fit books and comics. Maybe they'll be prequels or something.

11. Christopher

I suppose the greater serialization of the show is why they need close coordination to make the tie-ins feasible. Consider how few novels are set during DS9's last two seasons -- and most of the ones that are were written after the series ended.

12. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not talking about those novels. That's ancient history. I'm talking about the fact that the novels can't reference anything in the movies including the fact that Romulus is destroyed in the prime universe. I can get they don't want novels about the new crew, I don't agree or like it but I get it, but I don't get the business where they can't reference events that happen in the prime universe. Are they really planning on having some cross over even or some crap like that.

13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

That never stops the rest of us! :angel:

Shhhh! Daniels "fixed" that one...

Now someone just needs to explain to me why a four-letter name needs a four-letter "abbreviation".

Don't worry, I'm an English speaker, and I don't get half of them either.

Markonian and Jinn like this.
  14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It just hasn't happened yet. You really think the forthcoming novels will never pass that event, or will ignore it when they do?

15. Christopher

Because it's not a question of in-universe continuity, it's a question of what real-world entities own the licensing rights to a particular fictional concept. Portions of the 2009 movie's events may have been meant to take place in the Prime Universe, but they were still in a movie made by Paramount and Bad Robot, and so the right to use ideas original to that movie is for Paramount and Bad Robot to grant, while everything else is controlled by CBS.

You see that sort of thing happen a lot in fiction. Marvel's post-TMP Trek comic was forbidden to use characters or storylines from TOS, only from TMP (although it managed to sneak in three TOS characters and a bunch of continuity nods). RoboCop: The Series was treated as a direct sequel to the original movie (though ignoring the second and third movies), but oddly, though it had the rights to the RoboCop/Murphy character and the overall premise and setting, it didn't have the rights to any of the other movie characters and thus had to rename them or substitute equivalent characters.

Nicknames aren't always shorter -- cf. John and Johnny.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just the nature of licensing talk. After all, the contracts just say the novels can't reference anything from the Bad Robot movies, not "do not make reference to anything from Bad Robot movies unless it is from the continuity labeled 'Prime Universe.'"
    As it currently stands, we know the Pocket novels aren't allowed to reference the destruction of Romulus. Indeed, the progression through the years is even being slowed down so they can hold off the issue long enough until hopefully the legal hurdles can be overcome. This has been confirmed many times on this very forum by authors from Pocket.

17. Jinn

Fortunately Avro Arrow was able to identify the sole man responsible for the licensing problem:
    [​IMG]
    A man who goes by the alias of "FL"

I will never let this joke die.

18. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I do think that at this point. We've been told the books can't mention anything from the Kelvin movies. So yeah, it seem's like the books will either not pass the point where that happens or they ignore it. What do you think is going to happen?

Although I was looking forward to seeing how the destruction of Romulus would affect the Typhon Pact storyline I'm not especially worried about how it's going to be handled. Maybe they have already come up with a third alternative. I'm assuming the creative people will come up with something plausible and interesting, more plausible and interesting than anything I would have come up with. They always do.

I never said otherwise. You're basically backing up my original post where I said I was happy the TV people are working with the novel people and disappointed the movie people are not. That's indisputable that that is happening. Obviously it's not an in-universe continuity issue, it's a decision by the movie/licensing/lawyers/real world or whomever people that don't want novels in their sandbox. And obviously that's within their rights.

I'm sorry, all I wanted to say was I'm happy the TV people are interested in the novels and continue to be bummed the movie people are not. I didn't meant to derail this thread by triggering a debate about why there are no movie novels when it's pretty obvious why there are none.

Jinn likes this.
  19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would you like to be called John? lol

As for the topic, I guess this explains why Ongoing got the ax.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Lectroids do...