Spoilers Discovery Season 2 Featurette 'Becoming Pike'

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you guys are misreading what I said.

I know it's been some years since The Cage, and I know Pike's mentality in The Cage was shaped by the events at Rigel. I just think it would be interesting to have those events and his change of attitude addressed onscreen in some dialogue. Just to show some development.

Either way, looking forward to Anson Mount, should be a breath of fresh air.

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why does his service record list a bunch of starships, but then "Captain Robert April". What does that mean?... :shrug:

Hunter played Pike like a wooden, 1960s generic sci-fi bot (i.e. someone who can't be a relatable "human" because it's "the future"). Probably had some bad directing in there too.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably stating who he took the ship from.

3 years actually.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, MA (or any other fan site) would sue the owner of the IP? That's a good plan. Let's see how that works out. :techman:

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

So it looks like Pike also served as First Officer under April too which i know a lot of EU books have used.

6. Tuskin38

I don't see anything to indicate that, but it makes sense.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

What we saw of Pike in "The Cage" can be argued, if need be, as not representative of his usual demeanor as a commander. He was, obviously and as noted, under a great deal of stress. His crew had apparently gotten beat up good recently, for which he blamed himself, and he was fantasizing about getting away from all of this. Maybe some PTSD.

8. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I found him very relatable. He was basically playing Bruce Wayne in space. That tortured archetype that stands for authority, sternness and order.
    Really thought Hunter was a lot more talented than Shatner.

fireproof78 likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pike's personnel file was used in some Into Darkness promotional material, and they used Memory Beta's page on him, which mostly drew from the novel Burning Dreams.

David cgc and pst like this.
  10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be extra delighted with fries if Mount Pike utterly ignores the hiccup that was "The Cage", as this outlier really should be an example of what Pike is not...

Listing April between ships might indicate Pike is a real hot shot: first he gets to command three ships in a row, and then becomes an underling to another man, before again gaining a command of his own! This would also suggest the first three ships are relatively small and insignificant, and the Antares being the "Charlie X" one would go very well with that. (Also, perhaps Pike was a UESPA captain first, before becoming a Fleet captain? :devil: )

The fact that his flunking astrophysics and his medical record are highlighted might well be highly plot-related: "I don't have the faintest idea of what red lights in the sky might mean, so you eggheads tell me. Also, be warned that you might have to handle the heavy fighting, too: I'm a bit under the wind from certain past experiences. But I trust you. Utterly." He is trying to show-and-tell the crew about himself, for whatever reason.

Fun in any case. Which seems to be the keyword for "Brother" and perhaps S2 overall.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if they even have grounds to sue. How could a public wiki, which anyone can edit, claim copyright violations?

Hell, there's books being sold on Amazon right now which are literally reprints of Wikipedia articles (the book covers explicitly point this out), and nobody's suing them...

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Is the Enterprise being towed?
    Screenshot from 2019-01-05 08-51-45.png

13. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

14. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty much never logging in to the Trekbbs again.

Because nothing will likely top this.

AaronMorse, F. King Daniel and dahj like this.
  15. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Little did I know what a loaded question it was. :)

Vger23 likes this.
  16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Just in case anybody else missed it...
    This ===> :guffaw: Almost always means that I am kidding.

;)

17. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Memory Alpha's text is published under the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial license. Before anyone gets het up about the "noncommercial" part, I'm pretty sure that turns on the use of the material, not what it is used in, so just straight republishing MA articles as a reference book would be disallowed, but since no one is signing up to CBS All Access specifically to read Captain Pike's out-of-focus dossier in the background of a scene, they're probably kosher with nothing more than listing Memory Alpha in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits along with whatever stock-photo services they use and whatnot.

(Wikipedia uses the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license, which is why those robo-published printed compendiums of their articles are allowed).

18. Tuskin38

19. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they were testing out a prototype transwarp drive.... hence the angled pylons.

20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or Pike ignored his Chief Engineer's advice about maximum acceleration and bent his pylons.

Timo Saloniemi