Spoilers Discovery Season 2 Featurette 'Becoming Pike'

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Jan 4, 2019.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

He won’t be allowed to do that bullshit here. :)
    I imagine Killy wasn’t the nicest person and she just killed her way to the top.

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Otherwise, why the nickname "Killy"?

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

If that were the case, the Talosians couldn't have given him a 'fantasy life' because for all their abilities, they a just Super Telepaths and would require a working brain of the subject (like Pike) to be successful. Commodore Mendez even stated "His Mind is as active as yours or mine; but it's trapped in a useless vegetating body.

The story setup also didn't make a lot of sense, as the Federation HAD Universal Translates that were shown (Yes, it was in the next Season TOS - "Metamorphisis"; but Kirk didn't treat it like new cutting edge tech, it was a tool they'd had for a long time previously) - so it's weird that the Federation couldn't tie one into Pike's thoughts so the character could at least communicate <---- But yeah, that would have impacted the 'urgency' of Spock's actions in the episode.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just a simple matter of relearning based upon personal experience. Farscape did a similar idea with a clone of John Crichton and the dynamic of him with the crew.

Human beings do this all the time in regular relationships, and that's with people who don't look like someone who had betrayed them. It's not petty and it's not small-minded. It's the nature of humanity.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that's what I'm saying, too. He has a fully functional mind. He just happens to have aphasia on top of that.

Plenty of people have that today. Being unable to use language is like having no feet or no eyes - it doesn't mean your mind is gone, or even much diminished. Language really is a separate function of the body, residing in an extremely compact area of the brain, and capable of being lost in an eyeblink while everything else remains.

The urgency was convoluted no matter what. If Pike's condition could be described with one word, that would be "stable". There was absolutely no hurry there.

But the UFP isn't all that comfortable with telepathy at that stage. The Vulcan mind meld is but a myth, a closely kept secret. No machine can truly probe into the thinking processes of the brain yet. Heck, even a century later, Quark thinks there are fortunes to be made with a machine that interacts with telepathy, that is, blocks it.

The lackluster performance of the UT in turn is quite a mystery: if it works on aliens, why doesn't it work on Porthos or Spot or Livingston? Animals may not have broad vocabularies, but the machine could still be expected to translate Porthos' "Bark, bark!" into "Yo mama, yo mama!" at the very least. But if Pike isn't capable of creating any meaningful output, there's nothing to translate there.

Timo Saloniemi

6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Well at one point, TNG had plans for a Cetacean Interactive Area in the Enterprise-D, so there must be some form of communication with non-human life forms possible by that time.

7. Timo

Why? Them finfish taste just as good without a preceding interview.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

We currently seem to understand that dolphins and whales have some sort of language, one we are currently incapable of understanding. Certain species like Killer Whales have individual languages that are only used in their pod and they are unable to understand other pods. Curiously, dolphins have been known to lower the range of their clicks and whistles to a range humans can hear when around humans. I'd like to think that after the events of Star Trek IV, Starfleet made an effort to make actual first contact with whales and dolphins developing some method of communication.

DaveyNY likes this.
  9. Timo

The UT ought to be capable of making sense of simple languages if it can translate complex ones. So deep down, the user ought to know what a stupid little earthworm means by its wriggling, or even what the wind is saying.

Which may be the very reason why those things don't get a translation: the world is full of language, and most of it is stupid and dull. The line must be drawn somewhere, and most people have set their cutoff level at, well, people.

People interacting with dolphins for a living may use a different setting, of course. And there may be UT junkies listening to the hidden messages of the forest just for fun. It's a tad odd we never see this - and more than a tad odd that Spock fails to translate Whale when first hearing it in ST4:TVH, even though he seems to feel that there's a message to it, and one that will make a crucial difference to the enigmatic Probe. Is the Klingon UT too primitive and limited to properly translate Earth Humpback?

Timo Saloniemi

10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Somehow, I just can't see the Klingons giving a damn about what their Targs have to say, so my guess would be Yes.
    :klingon:

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two things:

First, Anson Mount has a hell of a lot of charisma. I mean, I started falling in love with him just watching the little interview from Rotten Tomatoes TV.
    Secondly, Tilly made me fall in love with her all over again thinking she broke the Captain.

I can crush hard on both of them, right? I'm pretty sure I can? It's not in the manual, but I'm pretty sure I can.

Ar-Pharazon and cbl1 like this.
  12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's in charge of Trek. Who's gonna stop him?:lol:

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBS

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they didn't stop The Space Cannibal Hitler Joins Black Ops Show, they aren't gonna stop Kurtzman mimicing Kirk's promotion from a very successful Trek movie he co-wrote.

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don’t see the connection

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Shades of Arthur Dent regretting learning to understand the language of the birds because all they talk about is wind currents and thermal updrafts.