Discovery and "The Orville" Comparisons

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jedi_Master, May 18, 2017.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

let's see some receipts for that claim

2. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I am excited for Discovery, having seen the trailer and the production value, I really think this looks like a very good update to the looks of Star Trek. As for Orville, I will give it a go, and I will watch it but I really didn't liked the humor in the first trailer. It was so flat and predictable. I really hope they will have better joke as they get comfortable writing the series and characters. But I agree with the opinions that it is a Galaxy Quest TV series

shapeshifter likes this.
  3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

RE: Orville Trailer

1990 called. It wants it's lame, predictable, and not really funny jokes returned, Thanks. :shrug:

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The only work of McFarlane's I've ever seen is Cosmos. I'll certainly be watching Orville as a nice companion show to DSC.

It's a huge revival for Trek on tv...a spoof, a regular series and and a post-show informational show. We couldn't have scripted better. :)

RAMA

Shaka Zulu, jaime, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is essentially my stance on it as well.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Impossible to fully verify, but some general looking around... track the comment... look at the FB profile...lines up the commenter with the Trek era he or she would have grown up in, and it is also helpful that Trek eras are rather easily divided (TOS first run, TOS re-runs/movies, Berman era Trek, Kelvin era films) and neatly correspond to ten/twenty year brackets.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

I think the uniforms on The Orville are a cross between Starfleet and Captain Scarlet in style.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shaka Zulu, C57D, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

They scream "Galaxy Quest" to me, as does the entire structure of the show.

Zonker and CommanderRaytas like this.
  10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The Orville uniforms borrow a lot from the Galaxy Quest outfits, Taggart's in particular:

11335689_1.jpg

There's also a resemblance to Kirk's admiral outfit from ST:TMP, except for the attempt then to hide the zipper in the back.

What's most notably different from the TNG outfits is - again, besides that hidden zipper - the fact that the color contrast doesn't carry through to the sleeves (which it admittedly does on Taggart's outfit). The black sleeves make the characters appear a bit more slender.

Markonian and Jedi_Master like this.
  11. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Most of the negative reactions I've been seeing about the DSC trailer are in Facebook and Twitter comments. Posts in those mediums cast a very wide net, so you're going to get all kinds of people, from Trekkies to layman to scroller-bys. But in places like this, which attracts Trekkies who are into it enough to spend their time talking about it on a forum dedicated to the series, I think the reaction is generally a range from excited to cautiously optimistic. Very few people here seem to have a "holy shit this is going to suck" attitude.

I agree with what @CommanderRaytas said earlier in this thread about The Orville and how there's lower stakes for that show and less of an emotional investment in its success than DSC. I mean, if The Orville is canceled after one season, that will probably bum me out a little if it's good. But if I think DSC is good or great and it gets canceled after one season, I'll be pretty devastated. That said, I do think Trekkies and general viewers need to keep an eye on their expectations. Reminds me of a truism about horror -- your imagination of a monster will always be more terrifying than the actual monster. Likewise, your hopes and dreams of a Star Trek show will always be utter perfection. The actual show can be fantastic, but never as good as your imagination of a Trek show. So, manage your expectations.

12. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Yes, expectations can really stand in your way if they're unrealistic.

Shaka Zulu and Balok's Decoy like this.
  13. ELURIA

ELURIA Captain Captain

What's so bad about Seth MacFarlane?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Expectations can kill enjoyment.

15. Number One

Number One Commodore Commodore

May the best show win. And I don't think its unthinkable that neither wins but they're still both enjoyable, or bad shows(difficult for STD with such production values but not unlikely).

16. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they're both going to be enjoyable in their own way. With Orville it'll be down to whether or not you like Seth's brand of humor. As has been said though he's a big sci fi nerd, a big Trekkie, and a big science geek. So he's got a lot to be passionate about. Plus he made himself captain, every kids dream.

Shaka Zulu and Balok's Decoy like this.
  17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

So, how long do these series need to run before IDW pens a comic crossover? :angel::devil:

18. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    He is, to me, painfully unfunny. Most of all, he likes to steal other people's ideas and make money off of them. In other words, he's a plagiarist who got away with it. I hate that.

cultcross likes this.
  19. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Everyone in Hollywood is a plagiarist.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

:techman:

Amaris likes this.