Disco's version of TOS/TAS: Differences

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The events themselves are exactly the same. Whether one chooses to view said events with a TOS aesthetic, or one from DSC, is unimportant. It's just a lens through which you choose to see things.

Meaning: From the point of view of DSC, every episode of TOS will still happen exactly as Trek history (that is, the actual plot lines of every TOS episode) recorded. It will just look like DSC. Similarly, if TOS is your preferred visual style, you can imagine every episode of DSC happening exactly as we saw it, but looking like TOS did.

And never the twain shall meet. :sigh:

fireproof78 and Amasov like this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously, if they were making TOS today they would not have the crew act as if cloaking was an amazing new technology. Hopefully Pike would not be upset at a woman on his bridge. Hopefully Spock wouldn't make a joke a Janice's near-rape. Woman can be and are starship captains.

It would not be exactly the same.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

In the Georgiou Series, I can't see how they're going to not deal with the Tal'Shiar or the Obsidian Order. They make perfect adversaries in a show about Section 31. So the idea that Spock says no Human or Romulan has seen one another is bullshit.

Maybe they'll try to keep everything classified. So far, they haven't shown Starfleet having face-to-face contact with the Romulans in ENT or DSC. But I'd be disappointed if they stuck to that so rigidly in the Georgiou Series. I want this to be a Cold War style thriller about secret agents.

4. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I might not be clear here, so my apologies.

Events are not points on a line, they are the product of the times in which they occur. Events are brought about by people who are influenced by and, in turn, influence their world. The universe as depicted in TOS, reflecting the 1960s American culture and technical knowledge, is a vastly different place than the universe as seen in Discovery, which is reflective of our times, so many of the the decisions and actions would be different. As I have been reading the transcripts for these older episodes, I have come across instances where I can see the characters behaving differently now as a result of the changes which have come about since TOS first broadcast. Even the best episodes of TOS, like The Trouble with Tribbles, would be done differently. How Koloth described woman in that episode would not fly today.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Except I never said the word “look.”

The Wormhole likes this.
  6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

In principle, the BoP could have been launched from a warp capable ship, cross the NZ near lightspeed,took out some outposts and retreated. Then again if the FTL drive used a singularity,Scott would detect no Dilithium or antimatter. Warp coils still would be there.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock wouldn’t know about S31’s ops so it wouldn’t be bullshit, he just wouldn’t have all the facts.

S31 is not common knowledge to the rest of Starfleet.

A S31 show would be an interesting way to get around some of the continuity violations.

S31 wouldn’t want the knowledge of Romulans being an off shoot of the Vulcans to get out as it could possibly damage the federation.

Obviously we know it didn’t after BOT, or at least we don’t have any evidence that it did.

8. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Not doing a prequel to a TV series set in the future that was made in 1966 would've been a great way to reconcile the visual differences.

F. King Daniel and Phoenix219 like this.
  9. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not doing a series set before TOS because of visual differences is absolutely ridiculous.

10. Terok Nor

Pretending a TV show from 2018 is set before one made in 1966 is equally ridiculous.

CaptainMurdock and Ronald Held like this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope

It’s called using your brain

Aeolusdallas and Amasov like this.
  12. Terok Nor

I prefer to use common sense. If you want to fan wank and head canon Discovery into the TOS era go right ahead.

13. Amasov

No, it's not equally ridiculous, because Star Trek isn't about what something looks like.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That must be why there's a two part Enterprise episode explaining why Klingons lose their forehead ridges in TOS.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

But the thing is, several things about Enterprise, Discovery and simply modern story telling/common sense or understanding of technology from a 2018 viewpoint would mean at least half of TOS would not happen, or happen extremely differently.

Internal sensors of the like even in the 2150's would stop quite a few things happening, biometrics not much more advanced than a smartphone too.

Kirk getting cosmetic surgery to look Romulan? their ships probably have an alarm that goes off at unauthrorised transports, nevermind a human lifesign suddenly being onboard. etc

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Apparently not, since in TNG Troi got away with faking it as a Romulan as well.
    :cool:

17. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Another interesting difference may be earlier introduction of the Klingons into TOS; I could imagine them mentioning the recent war before we actually see the Klingons in "Errand of Mercy". Maybe there could be a line in "A Taste of Armageddon", where Kirk remakrs that the Federation was also under severe thread recently due to war or something like that.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Maybe people were right when they called the NX-01 too advanced, it's internal sensors worked better than ships 200 years later...

19. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

still don't know why they didn't they set it in the post VI era (like was rumoured when Meyer was coming onboard).. therefore avoiding the TOS discrepancy (Ent came close enough but pulled it off in the end), could've had all been in the movie era (10-20y after VI/Gen?)...with the movie uniforms, movie ships/nacelles/mushroom spacedock, rainbow warp trails, blue transporter beams, and of course would've been all about the Klingons, even meyer there to help continue on from VI, and would've worked as a prequel to TNG (which would make sense for tie in with the eventual Picard show)... ok no Pike, Spock or TOS Ent to get the fans all craycray but maybe the Excelsior could've made an appearance instead (under Captain Christian Slater) or maybe the Ent B (under a different captain to Harriman of course)

why did it HAVE to be set b4 TOS?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  20. Amasov

...only because it was something Deep Space Nine brought up in the first place, jokingly.

KennyB and Mirror Mirror like this.