Different species & comprehension of time

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JesterFace, Sep 23, 2019.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the underlying assumption in most of star trek is that all species our crew interacts with basically experience time the same as our crew. At least I don't see any indication that there is some kind of continuous distribution along which some species are just a little slower or just a little faster. There are species that live longer or shorter. Then, there are species that live in a different time frame (such as Blink of an eye) or outside time (wormhole aliens). But a species that clearly lives in our time frame but experiences it differently ? Perhaps the species of Wink of an eye, but their species wasn't that way 'naturally'.

So I don't know. Unless perhaps, you count Data as (the prototype of) a ' species' ....

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

As I was creating this thread I wasn't thinking that time moves at a different speed for some species, only that they "feel" it differently.

Like it was mentioned earlier, for children time feels different than for an adult, if I remember my childhood correctly. :)
    In different situations it may feel that time is going very slowly or very fast. You know the phrases "where did the time go" or "are we there yet". It depends how we feel at the moment. 8 hour car ride feels a lot longer than a day when you do many different and interesting things. Perhaps different species feel the passage of time differently even if the time is the same for all of us.

3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about Vulcans? In "First Flight," they were like "You can design a new engine, and try again in a few decades. What's the big deal? Why are you guys so impatient?":lol:

JesterFace likes this.