Did You Like the Trailer?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Squiggy, Dec 18, 2015.

?

Trailer. What say you?

1. Yes, I like it and I believe I will like the movie.

55.9%
  2. No, I didn’t like it and I believe I won’t like the movie.

21.2%
  3. Yes, I liked it. But I don’t think I will like the movie.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I didn’t like it. But I believe I will like the movie.

22.9%
  1. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure heroic, scary and exciting fall in the category of "fun".

2. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

I love both of the nuTrek films. I recognize their flaws, but I also think they're entertaining entries that deliver what the franchise needed at that specific moment.

What I don't like, however, is this trailer. I've been really hoping that STB will expand the horizons of what nuTrek can be about on the silver screen. With the release of plot info...high hopes.

I was hoping to see more space and fewer motorcycles. More Beethoven and less Beastie Boys.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT3kCVFFLNg[/yt]

It's one trailer and a teaser at that. People need to stop acting like there won't be another one or trailers actually reflect every aspect of the film. There was a trailer for TMP that basically strung together every action shot in the film and gave the impression it would be filled with explosions and weapons fire. Another was a just the a cast list. Neither one gave us an idea what the film was really about.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

1 - There will be other trailers. The people in charge of making Star Trek Beyond won't be responsible for those, either.

2 - Music by Beethoven was heard in a couple of episodes of TNG, but did we ever hear any in a TOS episode or movie?

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In Requiem For Methuselah, we did get a little (supposed) Brahms.

Each would nicely fall within their own categories, and they can of course be combined. Something like The Trouble with Tribbles would be "fun."

If the events of a episode leave you feeling sad, how would that be considered "fun?"

6. Nerys Myk

I don't think anyone is saying every episode was 100% fun (or 100% anything). Even down episodes like "City On the Edge of Forever" had fun moments.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Which isn't the same thing, though Brahms (being himself a huge fan of Beethoven) would almost certainly not have minded the comparison. I do understand that, in an earlier draft of what became "Requiem for Methuselah," Flint was also supposed to have been Beethoven, but that bit didn't stay.

The point I was getting at, however, was that it seemed odd to express an expectation for Beethoven, specifically, when he hadn't previously been heard in any incarnation of TOS, which (besides the pseudo Brahms) featured only a Scarlatti sonata, a Strauss waltz (both in "The Squire of Gothos") and the Wagner wedding march ("Balance of Terror"). Classical music of any kind was much more frequently heard in TNG, and even there, it seemed as if Mozart, Bach and perhaps Chopin were far more often the go-to composers than any others, including Beethoven.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

If you take the first letters there you get PIHSEAF which is an anagram of SAFE HIP. Also APE FISH.

Take that as you will... :bolian:

9. Nerys Myk

Janos Prohaska probably had a great Ape Fish costume.

10. JHarper

JHarper Commander Red Shirt

SAFE HIPs save ships. :klingon:

11. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

I was speaking figuratively with the musical contrast. As in, I'm hoping to see a little more depth with this film, even though I enjoyed the previous two nuTrek entries.

Your point still stands, however, with the trailer.

I was basically hoping to see the opposite of what I saw. No bigee. I'll keep the faith and be there opening day.

12. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the upcoming movie has strong emotional moments, I can imagine the haters accusing it of being a "tear-jerker".

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And then there's Mick Fleetwood's costume.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Jazz is more appropriate to TOS than classical orchestral music, a genre feature apparently fixed in cement where big sf movies are concerned by John Williams's scores of the 1970s.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think retro cocktail lounge/exotica music would fit perfectly with TOS.

Also, I finally saw the trailer in the theater, and I thought it was quite enjoyable on the big screen.

Kor

16. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is how I feel.

The problem with the first two films were they had a guy who wasn't a Trek fan directing and two/three shitty writers.

Beyond has a classic TOS fan directing as well as a talented writer who is also a classic Trek fan.

I think Paramount put together this trailer to appeal to all audiences with a lot of action, but it is not a good representation of the film as a whole. Pegg said something very similar to this, and I trust him enough to believe it.

This will have action, obviously, no problem with that, but I also think it will have more focus on the characters, relationships, and some philosophical elements that were all largely absent from the J. J. films.

I'm still excited. Don't let me down, Lin/Pegg!

17. Kor

If the writers and directors can put together a good story, then it doesn't make one bit of difference whether they are fans or not.

Nicholas Meyer was not a fan of TOS when he directed STII:TWOK, but it has long been one of the most highly-regarded Trek movies.

Kor

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yeah. Since when did you have to be a fan to direct something?

A good director can direct a movie even if he didn't grow up buying all the toys. This line of thinking is just like "well, I'm a tru-fan and only I know what Star Trek is and Star Trek died in 1969/1979/1987/1994/1999/2000/2005".

19. Kor

I would even argue that the dispassionate perspective of a non-fan in a leading creative position is needed to objectively create a compelling, high-quality work that strongly stands on its own merits.

Kor