Dexter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

This parallel story thing just isn't working at all for me. Loved the episode otherwise.

2. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me, the show just feels like it has gone past its prime despite its brilliant casting of Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks. It just doesn't feel like a series that was meant to be going on for six seasons. Maybe five seasons tops. But not six. I am past the point of caring if Deb finds out Dexter's secret or not and Dexter's character lost most of that intense, compelling energy he used to have in the earlier seasons.

3. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

wow, you're watching a different show than i am. there isnt a better show on tv outside of game of thrones. and this season has been fantastic.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, as I mentioned in earlier posts, this season has become underwhelming to say the least and really does feel like a retread, so I'm hoping it starts to pick up soon. Other than a few instances, the show just plays it too safe. Not sure if it's the consistent changing of show runners/staff, but it has just been very lack luster.

I'll most likely never actually drop the show, but it will be somewhat painstaking to watch if it continues down this path.

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

What are some people expecting? Dexter murders someone every episode? That's pretty unrealistic, given he's a father now and he's already taken care of so many other murderers. I think the show's change of pace has been fine given the realities presented within the show.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Right, but kind of at its detriment from the realities presented in the show, there just doesn't seem to be any real evolution beyond it. It's still early in the season so things may change, but as of right now has become somewhat formulaic when comparing it to previous seasons.

7. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

When they tried to mix things up the last couple seasons people complained that it was changing, and wanted it to be like it was in season 1 and 2. Now people are saying it's too formulaic. They can't please everyone.

8. Obiwanshinobi

I was probably one of the few who didn't mind the change up.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I like changing it up, but honestly I think we're past the point where small changes can remain compelling. Dexter has essentially returned to the life he had before getting married and all that, he just happens to have a kid to come home to now. The bigger problem though is the season arcs aren't personal for Dexter anymore. The only risk he seems to be getting into is due to him doing stupid stuff like trying to 'bond' with another serial killer (last three seasons).

I'd love for the season finale to be Dexter coming home from his climactic showdown with Edward James Olmos and getting arrested, with clues scattered through the season (only notable in retrospect) that someone has caught on and was investigating quietly the whole time.

The formula has to change, not just the window dressing.

10. Joe Washington

Why happened to Cody and Astor? Why haven't they moved back in with Dexter by now? Season 6 makes it look like they never existed.

11. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh... have my tastes just changed or has Dexter become one of the most mediocre tv shows airing right now? Man... it's becoming increasingly difficult to watch the show. Really, a religion based killer? Wow. Oh wow, the ex-con street preacher isn't what he seems? Ugh. This feels like a USA Network ripoff of Dexter compared to the earlier seasons of the show. I literally get douche chills when Dexter talks about his "dark passenger" now. Deb as Lt. has potential to be interesting, the rest of the show is garbage. It really should have ended a couple of seasons earlier.

12. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's better than last season, at least! :p

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because people bitched about Rita and the kids... so they got their wish.

14. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know I miss the kids too, this week was a great episode.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Surprised at all the negativity. I'm enjoying the show a LOT more than I did last season. The writing feels stronger, Dexter's exploration of faith has been interesting, and, while I'm not yet completely sold on the Olmos/Hanks characters, I've been loving how truly shocking and imaginative their killings have been.

Yeah, like everyone else I miss the dark and edgy Dexter of the first couple seasons, and feel they probably DID make him too loveable and domesticated over the years (strange that Walt on Breaking Bad seems like a nastier guy than the serial killer who regularly chops people's bodies up), but all that started LONG before this season came along.

16. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^
    Well, with that last episode (specifically with how it ended), I think your prayers were heard.

Wow...talk about an alarming twist. Did not anticipate HIM being back(sort of).
    And I can't begin to imagine what Dexter is gonna be like now.

Seriously, this whole season so far, I was dreading the usual cookie cutter redemption story, but now they did a complete 180° on it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  17. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

The last episode was fantastic. I was practically cheering outloud at the end.

18. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, this last episode and the preview for next week's episode made me glad I still watch this show.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

fantastic episdoe this week loved how dexter just snaped and drowned him. and he left the body there as well. quick question when dex's brother showed up agin that was in his head right like his dad?

now a question on next weeks episode the new trinity killer in iwoa that's trinity's son right?

20. Joe Washington

Is Rudy's presence in Dexter's mind permanent or short-term?