Dexter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And how did he react? From what I have read about this show, Dexter is not capable of remorse. Is that right?

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The whole letting go of his Dark Passenger bit will probably be dropped along with everything else they dropped.

I don't know how I'd want the show to end, but I think that getting caught would be especially bad for the kids. They've been through enough. First, they had a prison dad who is killed, then mom is mudered right in their house, then their stepdad turns out to be a serial killer? That's too much. I think the show could end with him just accepting that being a serial killer is the life for him.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

all ways loved the season one ending. I think he married the actress who played his sister right after that.

4. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And they divorced right after the last season ended....

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

No, not at all. Dexter *thinks* he is incapable of remorse, but we can see in his reactions that he is indeed remorseful about breaking the code. He worries that his son will grow up "damaged" by him; he feels terrible guilt about what happens to Rita. He frequently describes himself as an unfeeling monster, but he worries about his sister, his son, etc. I think it makes Dexter even more interesting---he is BOTH a monster and a nice guy at the same time.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The key to Dexter (on the TV show, not so much in the novels) is that he has all the usual human emotions and sense of morality. He deals with his childhood trauma and the resulting urges to kill by creating a self-image that he is a "monster." If he just accepts he is evil, then he doesn't need to be troubled or torn by it. A monster doesn't have emotion or morals.

See how that works? It's the way he manages to cope with the impossible contradictions of his mentality. But it just a lie he tells himself in order to survive. So one possible ending for the story is if Dexter starts to finally be honest with himself, but I'm not certain that any person could actually deal with that. How can you continue to murder people, yet be fully in touch with your emotions and moral sense? That's a level of crazy even Dex is incapable of. :rommie:

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, wtf is up with that? If I was married to Michael C. Hall, as God is my witness, you wouldn't be able to pry me off with a crowbar. :rommie:

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There was a rumor going around that Michael C Hall and Julia Stiles (Lumen) were getting a little too friendly onset. Fans were wondering if she had anything to do with the breakup. This is why people shouldn't date those that they work with.

It has got to be so awkward working with your Ex after a breakup.:rommie:

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I was so absorbed in the show that I pretty much never thought about Hall's cancer or him being married to his TV sister.

Anyway, I read the season 5 thread and it looks like a lot of people had high expectations that didn't pan out, from Quinn becoming the next Doakes to Deb finding out about Dexter. Some interesting speculation and commentary there.

As for Deb and her never suspecting anything, I don't find it odd that she hasn't caught on as an adult, but I have wondered why she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when she and Dexter were growing up.

- Another season 5 point... I thought that Dexter throwing the computer into the water near the van was a dumb move.

- Another general point... Geoff Pierson: I used to get him mixed up with James Remar, so I get a kick out of both of them being on the show.

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I don't know if you've read the book Hannibal by Thomas Harris but he effectively neutralised Hannibal Lecter by making him become more or less normal at the end of the story. It was a huge betrayal IMO. Apart from that the story was shite anyway.

11. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

:confused:

How so? I've read the novel, and I don't remember him "neutralising" Lecter at all.

12. Deckerd

He got all lovey dovey and went off to live in lovey dovey bliss. It was a tragedy.

13. Goliath

But only after he made Starling his love slave and partner in crime. And I just assumed he would continue to indulge his taste for murder & cannibalism when he wasn't tangoing the night away.

I actually thought the ending of the book was considerably darker than the ending of the film.

14. Deckerd

I didn't see the film, working on the premise that the book sucked so much the film had to be worse.

15. Goliath

Well, if you didn't like the book, you probably won't like the movie. But they did change the ending radically--probably because the ending Harris wrote was unfilmable.

16. timothy

dexter vs hannible would be awesome who do you think would win?

I think would dexter.

17. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Dex. He's got relative youth on his side and would probably make sure that he was holding all the cards.

18. timothy

dexter season 6 starts this sunday looking forward to it.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Yay! Must remember to record it. I LOVE Dexter.

20. Goliath

I say Lecter. Age and treachery would overcome youth and skill.

I hate to say this, but the more I think about it, the more I want to see this movie. :lol:

Or this season of Dexter, which would be even better. It would mean the show had staged the biggest jump over the biggest shark in the history of television, but it would still be glorious.