Descriptions for CLB's TOS: The Face of the Unknown and DTI: Time Lock

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Mar 8, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is a neat design, but I actually liked that the other books all had a clock of some sort on the cover, so I'm disappointing to lose that here.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just added preliminary discussion of Time Lock to my blog; the Collectors page has now become the DTI e-Novellas page. Spoiler notes will be added sometime after the novella's release.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

The Face of the Unknown has a cover image on Amazon!

5. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

I dig that cover big time.

6. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My God! It's full of STARS!

7. Christopher

Yeah, the release kind of took me by surprise -- I was told to expect some kind of formal debut, but instead it just suddenly showed up on Amazon and such. Anyway, it is a really cool cover.

Markonian likes this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooh, very nice.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

That might be my favorite cover all year.

10. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Here's the Face of the Unknown cover for anyone who didn't see the link up there (I finally got around to saving the image):

[​IMG]

Markonian and JoeP like this.
  11. Christopher

Reposting from my blog:

I quite like this cover. It’s got nice vivid colors, it’s a dynamic scene, and I like the menacing Scary Balok Puppet head looming over the scene (and tying in nicely with the “Face” in the title). The swarm of angular red ships attacking the Enterprise is what really sells it, I think, adding color and energy and novelty to the scene; take them away and it would just look like a poster for “The Corbomite Maneuver.” It’s interesting how one element can make the difference like that.

Also, I just realized that the dominant colors on the cover are gold, blue, and red, the three TOS uniform colors (although the “gold” was actually more an avocado green that looked gold under stage lights, but anyway). How appropriate for the closing book of TOS’s 50th-anniversary year (it’s technically the January 2017 book, but its official street date is December 27, and a publishing year is considered to run from February to January).

Markonian, Jinn and Cyfa like this.
  12. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Yes, the vibrancy and colours really make this unmistakably TOS.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the cover for Face of the unknown. I've been looking forward to getting this book and find out more about the First Federation. Christopher do you have any news about an upcoming Enterprise novel to follow up Live By the code?

Jinn likes this.
  14. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I realy like how the cover looks so colorful.

15. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

I like the usage of that scary mask, it's an iconic face. I saw it for years in all the repeats ever shown since the 1980's, which somehow always seemed to omit the episode it actually appears in. It was always this mysterious, frightening face pictured in the end credits of many other episodes, without a context. I thought it was a real alien from an episode that I always seemed to miss. It was only several years later when I collected the series on DVD that I actually finally saw The Corbomite Maneuver (and many others that never seems to play in any re-runs), and understood the context. Nevertheless, as I say, that face is a very memorable, classic image; and it's exactly the right image to go with a novel that explores what the Corbomite episode introduced. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Markonian likes this.
  16. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Amazon now has the cover for The Face of the Unknown
    [​IMG]

Markonian likes this.
  17. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't it time for a full discussion/spoiler-thread for The Face of the Unknown?

Just picked up Christopher's new book about 25 minutes ago; will likely be settling down to start on it tonight. Already read the first 2-3 pages, and quite liked the opening moments
    with the Enterprise under attack from an unknown enemy.
    Looking forward to seeing where this leads.

18. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Yeah, I thought about it last night, but didn't really have the time at that moment to do it full justice. ;)