Deep Space 9 hasn't aired on UK television since end of century

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by virtualvoyager, Aug 22, 2015.

1. virtualvoyager

virtualvoyager Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi,

I've recently been thinking about this series, I never liked it, but I watched random episodes back end of the century, I haven't seen it since then.

I even typed a tweet months ago to PickTv channel for those who live in the UK, perhaps try and get some interest to get a season 1 airing for those interested in watching on television.

Any thoughts?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Nonsense, DSN has aired several times on UK TV since the end of the century, it is currently airing on Syfy (UK).

3. Eronai

Eronai Ensign Red Shirt

It's on SyFy at the moment, near the end of the first season, I believe.

But it would nice to see on a mainstream channel again - you look at all the rubbish that's on TV every night of the week and the endless repeats ... I rarely watch live TV any more.

A DS9 re-run on a channel without adverts would be great - I miss the 6pm weekday 'sci-fi' slot that BBC2 used to have in the 90's. :)

4. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

Yep, this is SyFy's...third run? It's also turned up on CBS Action and Virgin 1 since it finished airing on Sky One.

Oh, yes - the BBC 6pm slot was legendary. So much great stuff was shown there.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yep BBC2 18:00 the perfect after school watching the likes of TOS, TNG, DSN, Buck Rogers etc...

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Syfy UK play an episode every Monday. They're in season 1 at the moment.

7. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

...The Simpsons, Stingray, UFO, The Champions, Sliders, Buffy, Captain Scarlet, Randall & Hopkirk, Space:1999, The Outer Limits, Thunderbirds...

8. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Duet" and "In the Hands of the Prophets" are on Syfy this week.

9. TheVortaKeevan

TheVortaKeevan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was spoiled with Netflix when I stayed at my Uncle's house for five months due to roof damage from the snow and ice. I was watching every episode from all the seasons of DS9. It was great to see Garak, Weyoun, and of course my personal favorite Keevan again!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Or just buy the DVDs and appreciate them whenever you want. Just finished Season 1 again, forgot how much I loved it!

11. virtualvoyager

I want to watch it on television, just like Andromeda is aired on Picktv or Enterprise over a few months of the year. The last couple for sure.

I only have access to a standard freeview channel selection, prior to that it was BBC 1 to Channel five. Only in the last three years has television in the UK only been via a box, and no plug in indoor aerial.

I've sent another tweet to PickTv, hopefully in time, a season 1 will be aired.

I recently purchased a copy of Lost in Space on dvd, season 1. Its pointless, just plastic crap seeping all over the place, television is fine!

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Seems pointless, until you actually want to watch it.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well Freeview was launched in 2002 so it's been at least a decade, true coverage did come later to some parts of the UK.

TV in the UK is still predominantly via an Aerial, given that most TV's released over a similar timescale have had digital tuners inbuild negating the need for a box.

Unfortunatly I don't think it'll matter how many tweets you sent to PickTV as it seems as if the UK rights for DSN currently reside with SyFy (UK), besides PickTV was formally known as Sky3 which showed some older sky shows in an effort to get people to upgrade to Sky. Sure it's not unheard of the ST shows to air on multiple channels in the UK

Which at the moment I think is

TOS - CBS Action
    TNG - CBS Action, Syfy (UK)
    DSN - SyFy (UK)
    VOY -
    ENT - Sky Atalntic, Pick

At best they'll make a note of it and perhaps look at it for the future when the rights are next up.

So it would be accurate to say DSN hasn't been on Free to Air TV for a number of years in the UK.

14. virtualvoyager

The freeview switch over began in 2007, but at the time, it was either an indoor aerial or the cable box for television for me. As years later it was just an indoor aerial. And only recently in the few years past, a freeview box, the television in the living room is just plugged into an outdoor roof aerial, and yes CBS does air episodes of TNG, watched a few a month ago.

15. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The entire series is currently £67.20 for the entire series on Amazon.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

DS9 has barely run on the US airwaves since it ended. VOY or ENT either.

I wanted to wait for blu-ray, but since that ain't gonna happen, I'll have to go for DVD's.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think you are confusing two different things, as I pointed out earlier Freeview launched in 2002

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_(UK)

The digital switchover from analouge to digital did begin crica 2008.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Spike TV (formerly The National Network) held the rights to the 24th century series for quite a while. Though they rarely played DS9 and Voyager.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Battlestar Galactica (original)

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

That's probably the channel I remember seeing DS9 on last.

What with the amalgamation of cable channels nowadays, DVD really is the best way to go, even though I have Hulu, which runs DS9 & VOY, and can run it through my blu-ray player.

I'm still a stickler for physical media.