News Deadline: Michelle Yeoh in talks for Star Trek spinoff

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Habs Fan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Agreed. Sloan was the character who made S31's plot in DS9 works. Without him the story involving the group doesn't seem to work as well....

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Love Section 31 , made Trek universe more believable. And love Michelle Yeoh. But don’t like this series idea. Section 31 works best in small doses, being in a few episodes of Discovery or Picard is enough.

picardjean-luc likes this.
  3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

S31 was a really really cool concept in DS9. The fact we hadn't heard of it before through all of our following adventures of the Enterprise crew and Bashir "uncovers" them but can't do anything about it? Cool. Keep it like that, Setion 31 doesn't need to be involved in every single sinister Federation plot or spin off. They were the pretty much the main bad guys in STID! I know that is the JJ verse, but still.....

It was used sparingly and only in one show and was extremely effective. Throwing them into every will Borgify them.

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Hmmm. Whilst I love Michelle Yeoh, and I love Section 31, they're much better used in small amounts. I think DS9 was their best use (well, except for the crappy sendoff), and whilst I appreciated their appearances in ENT and Into Darkness, they just weren't as interesting.

The whole Mirror Universe/Section 31 arc was a DIS story, so why not just carry on with it there?

picardjean-luc likes this.
  5. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Sec31 stories work when you have someone with a strong moral center trying to work with Fed. ideals vs Sec31 pragmatism. It worked for Ds9, and it worked (I think, others may not agree) with ENT.

Emperor Georiou doesn't HAVE a moral center. She is her own moral compass. She can't represent the Federation's ideals because she never had them, doesn't agree with them now and can only really support Earth. If she manages to attune her ideals to "What's good for the UFP is good for My planet" that might make sense, but its still hard to see this working.

On the positive side it would have Michelle Yeoh and she might be able to make it work, anyway.

6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok.