DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that's not actually what was claimed. I looked into the various articles, including these:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...rl-shelved-at-warner-bros-hbo-max-1235191371/
    https://collider.com/batgirl-movie-cancelled-warner-bros/
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/batgirl-shelved-warner-bros-1392407/
    So I guess I was wrong to think there were two opposing claims, one that said it was about the film's quality and one that said it wasn't. Those are just two incomplete readings of the same thing being reported fairly consistenty: that people liked Grace's performance but were disappointed in the film, and that the disappointments appear to be more about its scale and production values than its quality as a story, so it's not being held against the filmmakers.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don’t see how any of this contradicts my original point, which was to do with the assertion that it had been “independently confirmed” that the cancellation has nothing to do with quality. You seem to be having an entirely unrelated discussion with yourself.

I hope we can agree that there’s a lot of speculation, information and misinformation out there and that it would be futile to claim to know exactly what the grounds for cancellation are. I imagine that it’s a complex picture but I reiterate that it would be naive to take a studio’s carefully leaked statements at face value.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He has half the board on mute, so he can't see context.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  4. Captaindemotion

That would seem to explain it

5. crookeddy

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. crookeddy

This thread has been moving too quickly for a casual like me to follow, ever since the Batgirl news dropped lol

8. Christopher

I'm admitting I was wrong after looking into the evidence, but the assertion that "the cancellation had nothing to do with quality" is also wrong. Rather, the reports agree that the cancellation had nothing to do with the quality of Leslie Grace's performance, but may have had to do with the perceived quality of the film itself, at least in terms of its production values.

Of course, but there have been some mistaken assertions (including my own) about what those statements actually said. I'm not making a case here, because my previous case was in error and I've retracted it. All I'm doing now is trying to clarify what was and was not reported, so we can all be on the same page.

9. Captaindemotion

So it’s taken us about 3 hours to get to the stage where I was starting from. I never said that the cancellation had nothing to do with quality - my whole point all along was in fact to take issue with a person who did say that (and who claimed that the trades had independently confirmed it). I don’t know if you had the person I quoted muted or what, but this really was quite a pointless exchange. Anyway, all’s well that ends well etc.

crookeddy likes this.
  10. Christopher

I don't see it as a personal exchange, since this is a public forum with many readers beyond those who post. My only concern is providing accurate information to those readers. If I have done so, then it was not pointless.

11. Captaindemotion

You could have done that without quote-tweeting me just to end up making the exact same point that I’d been making all along.

TREK_GOD_1 and crookeddy like this.
  12. Christopher

Again, I was not directing my comments at you. I was directing them at myself, correcting my earlier misstatement and citing my sources for that correction. I was disagreeing with you several hours ago, but then I realized I was wrong and I retracted it, quoting the original articles to show the evidence that led me to change my mind. Yet somehow you seem to have mistaken that retraction for a continuation of the debate.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  13. Captaindemotion

It’s not a personal exchange, I’m just providing accurate information to readers.

14. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow.... this thread seems like it has been managed by WB (past AND present leadership).

I just feel sosad for the DC Film Universe (and all the other live action). It has been such a mess. I have given up trying to follow any of it, and canimagine that was was true one day , in the next week will be completely different.

Commander Troi and crookeddy like this.
  15. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. crookeddy

17. crookeddy

Honestly if they are serious about cleaning up their universe they have to do painful things, such as killing The Batman series, and all the current TV shows... Is it necessary to do this just to be more like Marvel? No. But if that's the end goal, there really is no choice.

Of course that also means they'd have to can Joker 2, and NO WAY is that happening.

18. Christopher

I get the sense that Zaslav doesn't know what he's doing -- he didn't even seem to know that Hamada already had a "master plan" underway -- and has no real ideas beyond "copy the MCU" and "only do huge movies," which are the sort of thing that someone who knows nothing about moviemaking would think were good ideas for moviemaking. He's just come in and torn stuff down without having anything solid to replace it with.

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the goats, they were one of my favorite parts of the movie, and their screaming was pretty accurate to what real goats do.
    That's not what the article said.

Commander Troi and Grendelsbayne like this.
  20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a footnote on the article that they updated the status of Titans and Doom Patrol. That said, I would not be surprised if they ended up on the chopping block.