DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would people have to accept this? We haven't seen the movie. I'm not in the habit of judging a film based on someone else's comments. And there are rumors going around that the movie was scrapped for reasons other than its quality. I'm going to be brutally frank. I believe most of the comic book films released in the past four to five years have been mediocre or just simply crap, with the exception of a few films. Very few. The idea that "Batgirl" was shelved because it might be bad is just laughable to me, considering I feel as if I have been subjected to bad or mediocre comic book movies for the past five years.

Commander Troi and Mr. Adventure like this.
  2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

While this statement is true, it doesn't apply to Batgirl.

3. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really want to see the Doc Savage movie, as a fan of the character, but I can't bring myself to spend the $3 to rent it, because I've heard so many bad things about it.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What I've read is that the test audience score was relatively low, but not unexpectedly low for a rough workprint without effects or sound editing or the like, and not even remotely low enough to be a credible justification for accepting a 90 million-dollar loss. It seems clear to me that they're just using the test score as an excuse for a decision made purely for monetary reasons.

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've seen it?

Captaindemotion likes this.
  6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a certain 'so bad it's good" charm to it and Ron Ely (along with Paul "Breakfast Club" Gleason) acquits himself pretty well, given what he had to work with.

7. DigificWriter

Most of the major Hollywood Trades independently confirmed that the shelving of Batgirl was not related to the film's quality.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  8. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because we're smart enough to not fall for meaningless pr statements?

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hence the use of "might". As you point out, so many comic book movies of past few years have been awful, so one cannot assume that another was somehow going to be the outlier of quality. The genre of superhero films has spiraled into a very deep pit of loud, cartoonish nonsense that its a shock when a production actually works. They are the exception, never the rule.

the G-man likes this.
  10. DigificWriter

How, exactly, does independently sourced reporting from Variety, Deadline Hollywood, and The Hollywood Reporter equal "meaningless pr statements"?

11. crookeddy

Who would the sources be? The only people who really know the reason are the decision-makers - a small group of people with extensive PR training. The trades HAVE to report on what these official sources say.

Please use your head at least once in a while. Blind belief in media is scary.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

They didn’t confirm anything of the sort. They reported that the studio was saying so.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-not-released-warner-bros-hbo-max-1235331897/amp/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...marvel-kevin-feige-james-gunn-1235193606/amp/

The trades are reporting what the studio is telling them. They can’t independently confirm anything because they haven’t seen the film. The quality of the film may well be perfectly good but it’s equally possible that WB just doesn’t want to kick the makers while they’re down. Seriously; why is it so hard for you to understand that companies and corporations don’t always tell the truth?

The Realist and crookeddy like this.
  13. DigificWriter

Variety, Deadline Hollywood, and The Hollywood Reporter's articles debunking reports that the decision to shelve Batgirl was not related to the film's quality preceded an official statement from Warner Bros. Discovery on the matter by almost 24 hours.

Acknowledging that fact and giving their reporting credence is not demonstrating "blind faith in media"; it's acknowledging the veracity of those outlets' reporting and respecting their value as organizations whose job it is to report Entertainment-related news.

14. crookeddy

Seems like its not, based on a score of 61 from the test screening. Would have required reshoots (like pretty much all the other upcoming DC movies) but it seems WBD didn't want to spend any more money on this movie because its a Max Original. Apparently a theatrical release was out of the question because the movie wasn't made for that - whatever that means.

15. crookeddy

They called their sources at the studio. Their sources are either the board members themselves, or their PR representatives. Either way, they ended up getting the company line because there is nothing else they COULD get. Nobody else would know.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  16. DigificWriter

If you say so.

:rolleyes:

17. crookeddy

You're hopeless.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a strange question, since both interpretations require someone to be lying. It's just a question of which one you consider to be the lie. The fact that Batgirl and Black Adam both reportedly scored the same makes it hard to believe that it was about quality.

Commander Troi likes this.
  19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don’t agree. If the film is perfectly good, this doesn’t contradict the claim that cancellation has nothing to do with its quality. The official story is that it was cancelled due to a change in corporate strategy. I don’t see how saying that the film was good belies this.

Because one has a proven box office star in the lead and one doesn’t? And one has, sad to say, a male lead and one doesn’t?

I have no view on whether the film was good or not, or why it was cancelled, I simply think that the claim that it can be “independently confirmed” that its cancellation has nothing to do with quality is nonsensical.

20. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed the goats. The way they were incorporated felt like the GOAT rendition of Thor's mythical steeds and chariot.