• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

DC Cinematic Universe ( The James Gunn era)

About Bloys on the cancelled DC projects:

"When asked about future DCU projects that were said to be in development, Bloys responded, "You know what I would say about that? It's the same thing with Game of Thrones. People read about development, and they assume that those are greenlit shows, and they're development. And everybody knows that development is just that — you're trying things, you take big swings, not everything comes through."
Pretty straightforward, but there's still some thinking early announcements guaranteed production when is rarely worked that way. At present, the Gunnverse's direction is going to be scaled down; if so, the idea that Gunn, Safran, et al. were going to launch this sprawling CD universe out of the gates was a bit premature.

Elsewhere, Grant Morrison discusses Supergirl, Momoa and other matters...

Acclaimed Comic Writer Grant Morrison Sums Up The Criticism Of Jason Momoa's Lobo In Supergirl
 
I thought Morrison's reaction to Momoa's performance as Lobo was a bit over the top, it might not have been Oscar worthy, but I am sure there have been a lot worse performances in other movies. Hasn't had similar exaggerated reactions to other comic book movies?
 
Grant Morrison = zzzzzzzz

Seriously when I was most active as a comic book reader in 90s there were already highly regarded writers and artists. But nothing like the later rock star creators of recent decades. Where everything they touch is treated like gold regardless of content or results. Which may make me seem old and out of touch to some. I do not care. Current comic book readership is actually very small. Yet the current creators to a small audience are treated like their opinions matter on everything...

There got that off my chest! LOL
 
Last edited:
Speaking of comics, anyone else reading Absolute Batman? I put it off for a long time because the art made it look like pure edgelord nonsense. But I finally picked up the first trade paperback and actually really enjoyed the story and take on the characters.
 
Grant Morrison = zzzzzzzz

Seriously when I was most active as a comic book reader in 90s there were already highly regarded writers and artists. But nothing like the later rock star creators of recent decades. Where everything they touch is treated like gold regardless of content or results. Which may make me seem old and out of touch to some. I do not care. Current comic book readership is actually very small. Yet the current creators to a small audience are treated like their opinions matter on everything...

There got that off my chest! LOL

Morrison was one of those highly regarded writers in the 90s (and 80s). Lots of great creatives eventually go cuckoo, unfortunately. And there are always fans who buy into the hype way too much, though I imagine those particular fans were probably a lot less visible before social media.
 
Speaking of comics, anyone else reading Absolute Batman? I put it off for a long time because the art made it look like pure edgelord nonsense. But I finally picked up the first trade paperback and actually really enjoyed the story and take on the characters.


I looked ahead at future issues after the first 6 issues. I don't know if I like how this Joker is portrayed.


-He's 150 years old at least.

-Transforms into a hideous monster that eats his rival business partners or people that get in his way

-He prolongs his life by experimenting on the orphans he houses for his philanthropist role.

My problem is that he's become SO powerful and rich and connected(He's been the pioneer of new innovations such as cable networks and video games and then software and computer chip development)

-He played both sides in World War 2 for kicks

-He orchestrated the birth of his daughter Harley from the very beginning

That I don't know how Batman can stop him

He's even suggested to Bruce that he orchestrated Bruce becoming Batman as a fun side project which has thrown working class Bruce into paranoia

I mean. That's too much
 
Sara Gilbert has joined the cast of The People v. Gorilla Grodd as a journalist.

She was always my favorite on Roseanne/The Conners so I'm pretty excited about this news!
Cool, I'm a big fan of hers too.
Damn. We were denied a Green Lantern/Stuart Fails to Save the Universe crossover with Kyle Chandler as Hal Jordan.

Not that they didn't want to do it, but HBOMax nixed it.
Damn, I've been really enjoying Stuart Fails to Save the Universe, and that would have been a ton of fun.
I'm assuming it would have been in the episode where they're in the comic book. The episode has the characters getting help from Jay Garrick, and I think they did make a reference to not being was reference to not being able to get Green Lantern. I'm assuming Hal would have been in Jay Garrick role, and the joke about not getting Green Lantern must have been a reference to what really happened.
 
Morrison swings for the fences. Sometimes their takes turn out great, sometimes they turn out shit. That goes for their writing as well as their opinions.

I was struck by the fact that I really enjoyed All-Star Superman but really didn't like Morrison's Batman comics. I figured maybe Morrison's writing style was better suited to Superman.
 
The first time I heard of Grant Morrison was when they took over writing duties on The Doom Patrol.

It was almost a complete 180° from the previous writer that it took me a long time before I could like it and their writing style.

Almost everything else of their's since then has been really hit or miss.
 
I wasn't reading comics in the 90s so I missed those runs. I did read All-Star Superman, Seven Soldiers and a good portion of their early run on Batman with the introduction of Damien. I thought their New 52 take on Superman was excellent. What I love about thier stories is that they pull from obscure elements and that they love to tell stories that often only make complete sense in the final pages of the final issue. I almost always go back and reread the story when I'm done.

I disliked Final Crisis, but that may have been primarily because of the editorial eff up that happened there. I also thought their run on Green Lantern was a disappointment, but I may have enjoyed it more if the two running GL series at the time hadn't been cancelled. In those two cases, it is hard to separate what was actually on the page and what happened around the story so I'm like biased.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top