CW's The 100

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ro_Laren, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did wonder about Christine Willes, but the actress has to be younger than the character, even though the actress has done a very good job at obscuring her "real" age from google.

2. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not a doctor but what temporary virus has you bleeding from the eyes and coughing up blood? LOL.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I question whether you could really blow up a bridge effectively by just putting a can of rocket fuel on its deck. What you'd want, I'd think, is to position the explosives at its key structural support points underneath. Let gravity do the bulk of the work for you.

I wasn't sure about whether a bullet could trigger a gunpowder explosion, but I guess gunpowder is activated by a sharp impact like that of a firing pin, so maybe it's not totally absurd.

And grrr, this show just cannot stop killing off its black cast members! It's becoming a really disquieting pattern.

4. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I was thinking the same thing when Murphy killed him. :(

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't even noticed that, but I do agree that is aggravating.
    I was really disappointed we didn't get to see the aftermath of the explosions on the Arc.

6. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

So, a return of my Who's Left Alive ...

Two people die when the Lander crashes (stated in dialogue)
    Couple in the Acid Fog
    Atom
    Charlotte
    Welles
    Three people died when they go to rescue Octavia (inc John and Roma)
    Dax is killed at the arms depot
    Three people die from the Grounder bio-warfare campaign(Clarke states that there are fourteen graves up to that point)
    Connor

85 original 'Delinquents' remain - 87 in the compound (inc Raven abd Bellamy)

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So it's confirmed then, that the thing we saw falling to Earth last episode was the dropship the mutineers stole and it killed them all?

8. Christopher

Not necessarily. Something that had bodies in it fell to Earth and burned, but both object and occupants were unidentifiable. The separation of the drop ship looked pretty violent and it seemed like other parts of the station fell away, so maybe that included an occupied compartment.

I've seen a promo photo for next week of Henry Ian Cusick and Paige Turco together, so evidently Abby survived, at least. And it's hard to believe they'd just cut off the whole Kate Vernon mutiny subplot so abruptly.

9. tenmei

That said, Christopher -

Even though the Diana Arc seems to have been curtailed - it has served its ultimate function. The survivors on the Arc no longer have any way of getting down to Earth - and have presumably lost a shedload more oxygen with the damage the breakaway did.

That said - they are making a big deal now about how many of them are left. I wonder if we'll see a fresh batch of delinquents (maybe only fifteen) arrive in the finale on a much smaller drop ship and the numbers bumped up to The 100 again. At the rate we're going through delinquents, we'll be down to the core cast by the end of Season 2 - and even the core cast aren't sacred in this show.

And what happened to the bunker? My solution to the virus quarantine would've been to move all of the non-infected to the bunker or the arms depot whilst the attempt to blow the bridge up was going ahead - then at least they wouldn't all get killed.

10. Christopher

I assume that the threat of Grounder attack meant that they couldn't risk leaving the compound to reach the bunker. It's a significant distance away, IIRC.

11. Guy Gardener

It's like aliens crashed in Central park today and assumed that New York City was a giant wooded park area.

Their flares burnt down a fricking village!

Seriously!?

How large and spread out is the grounder territory?

Grounder leader: "I represent 2 million men, women and children. You are refugees. Act grateful."

If those flares could be seen from orbit, then they must have been ballistic carrying some serious payloads, so that's just a little effed up if they go straight up and then straight down.

if so many people survived... how come the Ark is so dang clueless?

12. tenmei

That's a very very good question.

Because this week Lincoln said that she didn't even represent ALL of the Grounders in the area - that there was more than one clan. So you've got two million plus people in the immediate vicinity for Lincoln to be concerned about.

Perhaps the delinquents can make peace with one of the tribes that they didn't burn the whole village down.

13. Guy Gardener

2 million is a made up number by me.

If their numbers were that large, their population would be spread out across several former states... If they control that much land, isn't it odd that the Spacers also found the absolute ruler of a third of America a couple hours after landing?

The leader we have seen is probably an alderman who reports to a mayor, who reports to a governor who reports to a president... It's amazing how well thought out Revolution was compared to this that we have seen on the 100 so far.

Like found a Unicorn in my backyard amazing.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I doubt the Grounders are anywhere near that organized. At this point I'm thinking they're a bunch of independent clans with probably a few dozen to a hundred members each. This is just as much guesswork as Guy's idea, although it is how those kinds of societies tend to be set up in these kinds of stories.

15. Guy Gardener

Mesh Rome or Greece 2000 years ago with the Mob.

A pecking order is all I was suggesting.

Cells.

A pyramid scheme.

You pay your taxes/protection or they break legs and drown children.

They have a combat ready army.

It's possible that if they have lots of maybe villages of civilians, growing crops and farming animals, actually being a well rounded 9th century civilization, that what the drop ship crashed next to was not a complete well rounded 9th century civilization, but an army barracks where all the psychos from the close by 40 villages send their soldiers to be better soldiers and collectively defend those 40 villages.

:)

The reason the ark thinks everyone was dead is that no one has reinvented radio.

Maybe radio can't be reinvented starting from 19th century level technology, because you need more omph and electromagnetic shielding to get the bastard to work.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like we will be getting a better idea of the Grounder's society tomorrow night.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc1rtx6hOIQ[/yt]

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

When this show started, I thought it was mediocre and that Paige Turco was slumming it. I was also surprised that it got renewed. I stuck with it anyway though, don't know why, and I'm glad I did. I caught up on the last three episodes and it's getting quite a bit better with the grounders and the lost drop ship. How long can they keep the adults on the station though?

By the way, I totally didn't recognize Dichen Lachman when she first appeared.

18. Guy Gardener

They had to leave people behind because the drop ship was too small and the people left behind and their generations to come had to have some place to live, and as a bonus in the Ark population issues would be fine for a while.

Now however...

In the last episode, they're going to figure out how to bring the entire ark down safely.

And it's going to land gently.

And it's going to be fine.

Becuase it's a fricking Earthbound city now.

And the grounders are going to be so fuck##.

Although, if they had been getting gravity from rotation, then that means that (most of) all the floors that they used to walk on are now facing the wrong way.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guess is we'll probably end the season with the adults either showing up on the surface, or about to depart for the surface. I'm expecting the last shot to to be either Jaha, Kane, and Abby arriving in the 100's community, or whatever they use to get to the surface leaving the Ark behind.

20. Christopher

I don't know, I think the show's too invested in its "kids below, adults above" dichotomy to bring it to an end. I think the intent of the hijacking of the drop ship and the damage to the Ark was to short-circuit the evacuation plan, leave the Ark denizens stranded up there without a safe way down. Given how much damage the Ark sustained, any other drop ships may have been rendered unusable.

Besides, they spent all that money on the sets and digital models for the Ark -- I wouldn't expect them to abandon them after just one season.