News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. SithHappens

SithHappens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a lot of people did things early on, wore masks, stuck to rules.
    I think early on there was a bit of i guess what you might call 'blitz spirit', we were all standing on our doorsteps applauding the NHS, having family zoom calls on a weekend and so on, it was something to tell the grandkids about, heck i know it opens me up to criticism but some even enjoyed the 80% pay from the government while being able to sit at home and not work.

I think what people didnt realise was it wasnt going away soon, probably though 8 weeks and it will all be done, now 2 years on and here we are.

I do still think the majority do the right thing, but there is an increased minority who dont and its much more visible.

Westie1701 and Commander Troi like this.
  2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm positive

Westie1701 likes this.
  3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel your pain, I have brother spouting all the same bullcrap.

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Sorry to hear that. :( Hopefully it's a mild case. Take care of yourself, and I hope you are feeling better soon.

5. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

*hugs*

Westie1701 likes this.
  6. wayoung

Feeling better starting last night. Head cold symptoms drastically reduced. Doctor prescribed a new puffer but pharmacy is closed today. Hopefully they deliver. Although by the new rules I don't have to isolate anymore starting tomorrow either and can pick it up if I need to since my symptoms have been improving. Still gonna isolate until the old 10 day mark as much as possible though, except to get this puffer if I need it.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, the situation in this region, and it may be similar in other districts in the Province, is that many cancer patients are being denied surgery because the hospital is clogged with having to deal with antivaxxers being sick. As predicted, they're a strain on the system. There was a recent story that made national news about a local RN who walked out of her job because she was fed up with the system and being completely and utterly swamped doing work out of her regular stational duties. They're doing everything because they're severely understaffed and working terribly long hours.

We encountered some antivaxxers today doing a demonstration at an intersection. One of them had a megaphone telling people to make noise as he crossed the intersection.

Westie1701 likes this.
  8. Commander Troi

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

9. SithHappens

SithHappens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IKEA in the UK have announced today that if staff have to isolate because they are unvaccinated they will not longer receive full pay and will only be eligible for SSP.

Staff who cannot work but have the vaccine will continue to receive full pay.

In the UK you still have to isolate if a contact of someone who has tested positive if you havent been vaccinated.

Seems fair to me, still a personal choice but as an employer you would consider staff have not taken every available precaution to avoid being absent from work.

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. wayoung

So the key to my case seems to be how much medication I've inhaled. The last two evenings I've felt better but by morning was coughing like crazy again. I'm still waiting for my new prescription inhaler and in the meantime have been taking my regular daily inhaler a shitload each day (as per instructions from a respiratory therapist). So by evening all the extras puffs I've taken have kicked in allowing me to move freely but by morning I'm back to coughing up a lung whenever I move.

Still, one good thing about this is I'm actually getting decent amounts of sleep. Two nights over 8 hours in a week! 6 over 7 hours! Unheard of! Even my trauma dreams aren't keeping me awake!

Although that may be the codeine I'm taking before bed for my cough:whistle:

11. Owain Taggart

Westie1701 likes this.
  12. wayoung

Got my new inhaler. No longer in isolation but going to stick with it until the old 10 day number just to be careful, except I'm going to do masked walks alone outside to get some exercise.

Did 1.8 km today on sidewalks around my neighborhood. Killed me. Felt like an hour at the gym. Heart rate 150, breathing heavy but the inhalers limited coughing which is huge. Exhausted afterwards. Ready to go to sleep.

13. wayoung

Got sick of soup, ordered a pizza.

Started eating it.

"Jesus, this pizza is really bland and tasteless. It wasn't like this last time I ordered from them."

A minute later:

"Ohhhhh...... Fucking Covid."

14. shapeshifter

Or bland pizza? A cold or the flu can disable taste buds too. They are going around now as well.

Westie1701 likes this.
  15. wayoung

They are, but I don't have a cold or a flu. I have Covid.

Westie1701 likes this.
  16. shapeshifter

Sorry. Good luck. Hope it goes smoothly.

17. think

think About it! Premium Member

FB_IMG_1641984859795.jpg
    Missed this from the holidays... Was busy being in life.

18. Commander Troi

*HUGS*

19. vandevere

vandevere Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Praying! Be well!

20. Owain Taggart

I've found this link showing Covid Vaccinations across the world to be fascinating, if scary. Most surprising, I find is that the United Arab Emirates are at the very top.

Canada's at 85% of first doses, 79% fully vaccinated, and additional doses (aka boosters) at 29%, though I expect the last one to creep up as we're still early the process of delivering boosters. Those numbers aren't too bad, but all the same, it's not even near the top. And it makes me sad to see the U.S lag so far behind.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html