News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    In other news my new face mask proved very successful today! It fit snugly around my nose and mouth while I barely noticed the bands around my ears. It only became cumbersome when I was short of breath from exertion.

It may not be hospital quality but it's a lot better than the homemade one I was using until today.

EmoBorg and Avro Arrow like this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got a few cloth face masks on Etsy as well. I especially like the one made from a Crown Royal bag. May as well make things fun.

Kor

think and cooleddie74 like this.
  3. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

How Covid-19 has changed the world in recent weeks.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I've unfortunately found via experience with buying stuff online since most storefronts, unless they have a specific Canadian counterpart, charge an arm and a leg for shipping. It's one reason I've only ever bought stuff once from Thinkgeek even though I've been severely tempted to do so again. The shipping was ridiculously expensive. And even now with storefronts like Amazon, I'm finding fewer options available due to shortages via the pandemic.

5. Kor

Etsy is a marketplace for individual sellers, rather than a big central retail operation. Many of the sellers are located in Canada, and you can narrow down your search by the geographic location of the seller/item.

Kor

6. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I did actually look into Etsy last night, and as @Kor mentioned above, there were actually a large number of sellers located right here in Canada! And a number of them were even offering free shipping, which was great! I ended up ordering two masks, one from around here, and one from B.C.. I thought it might be best to have a spare just in case. As mentioned, a lot of the cuter designs were already sold out, but I was able to get one with nice floral design, and the other is a little less colourful, but with a pattern. I ended up going with two different sellers just because I wasn't sure how any given one would fit, so I didn't want to put all my eggs in the same basket.

I also saw some really nice space-themed ones, which I adored (I love space imagery!), but, in addition to being a little more pricey, those ones wouldn't be ready to ship for another 2 to 3 weeks. Since I'd like to have one sooner rather than later, I went with sellers who said they could ship in a day or two. I may still go back and order a space-themed one or two, but I haven't decided. On one hand, money is definitely an issue, but on the other, if they start calling us back into the office soon, it might be good to have a few different ones I can rotate through. (That's assuming they even let us wear them in the office.)

So now it's just a matter of waiting till they arrive. Thank you again to @Spot's Meow for the great suggestion; I would never have even thought of that!

KimMH likes this.
  7. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I ordered some masks from Amazon several days ago and I checked today to see how long it will be to get them. They canceled my order saying they were no longer available.
    They were available when I ordered them. :brickwall:

8. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I think, reading between the lines, Amazon actually got my masks delivered to me via China, hence the long delivery window.

9. Kor

Yeah, some of the Amazon listings for stuff like that are a little misleading about where the item is actually located.

Kor

10. Owain Taggart

^ Especially when there are so many counterfeit items. I usually look for items shipped and fulfilled by Amazon and usually get great results. I actually bought a new mouse via Amazon yesterday. Don't have Prime and they wanted us to sign up for a free trial, and we didn't, but they still offered to have it shipped a day early for a few dollars more, and it wasn't expected until Tuesday. Well, got it today via Post.

11. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I tried a home haircut today...
    So.
    Yeah,about what you would expect.:censored:

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  12. cooleddie74

I cut my own hair. Which is part of the reason why I wear hats in most photographs. :p

13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Don't be so negative. Make a picture and show It to us, let us judge :)

14. Owain Taggart

Really? I'd thought it would look like your avatar? :lol:

think and cooleddie74 like this.
  15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

YT finally released my RD clip from Quarantine for viewing.

A trip to WalMart isn't quite what it used to be, y'know?

16. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I am SOOOO glad I got my hair cut a couple of days before they shut down here. I get it cut pretty close, so it still looks presentable when I have to hop on a work skype.

My wife's mom made us a couple of masks you put coffee filters in. I have no idea if they are useful or not. All I know is that when I breathe while wearing them, my glasses get fogged up. It's a pain in the butt. I got a couple of bandanas from our local pro soccer team's online shop that my wife is going to make masks with. At least we'll be showing our team support. God I miss soccer... And baseball... And honestly just about any other sport right now.

17. Kor

Just in case this was a burning question for anybody, a couple of recent studies indicate that the virus probably cannot be sexually transmitted; that is, directly through the act itself: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/04/23/you-cannot-transmit/
    However, it can (of course) be transmitted through close proximity and intimate contact such as kissing which would expose you to respiratory droplets. :shrug:

Kor

think likes this.
  18. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

^You mean, prostitutes have been right all along?!

think likes this.
  19. cooleddie74

I WISH. :lol:

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  20. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ironically given my avatar I have a Reed Richards thing going on with white hair on my temples.
    Not much hair anywhere else(see haircut post).:eek: