News Clone Wars spin-off-- The Bad Batch

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except TCW pretty much said all the clones have the chips and they have to be removed for them for them to be able to rebel.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok.

well, no idea. I'm not as up on TCW as others.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that Resistance ended up a short two season show in order to fill the gap between the end of Rebels and the start of this one. If so then I could see this going on a lot longer, since it's the show they were killing time for.

Booji likes this.
  4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the Bad Batch were kind of mutant/defective clones that came out not alike, but had traits that the Republic found usable for a special missions unit, they were Experimental Clone Unit 99. It is possible that these defects made their inhibitor chips not function. Echo's chip may have been removed or damage with all the cybernetic work the Techno Union did to him.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

An even simpler explanation is that the Bad Batch generally don't work with a Jedi. So they may simply not have had their chips activated at all, being off on some mission behind the lines when it all went down. They could have just been demobbed later like most of the other surviving clones and fell into merc work since that's all they knew or wanted to do.

There are other possibilities of course: maybe their mutations and their seemingly inherent anti-authoritarian bent did indeed allow them resist Order 66 and they deserted on the spot. Maybe they quite happily executed Order 66 and just didn't take to retirement very well. Maybe they're the ones that captured Luminara.

My favourite scenario though is still "basically the opening narration for the A-Team." ;)

Jedi_Master likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I forgot to address this before.
    I forgot about The Mandalorian when I wrote my other post, but now you reminded me of it, I can see leaving the post-Return of the Jedi era to it and it's spin-offs.

7. Mirror Tuvix

Mirror Tuvix Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently 9 episodes thru Final Clone Wars. "The Bad Batch" so far has been the least interesting / most generic aspect of the season- scrappy misfits going on secret missions- a hoary trope since The Dirty Dozen of the 1960s. Note when Tarantino played with this convention in Basterds, he didn't give the Basterds themselves that much screen time, because it's not that interesting. But the Batchers must've gotten a good fan response to get their own show.

That being said, I am struck by the overall most impressive quality of Final Clone Wars, a sterling example of how to craft all-ages entertainment. I would prefer a little more story and a little less action- but this, of course, is the Star Wars formula.

The arc I just finished concerned Ashoka Tano aiding two impoverished Coruscanti sisters pushed into smuggling. The quality of the voice acting and the nuanced character animation made the episode I just saw of Lower Decks look like banal slop by comparison.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I'd really call the last few season of The Clone Wars, all ages entertainment, it started getting pretty dark and violent after a while.

9. Ithekro

Just like Revenge of the Sith was rated PG-13 the Clone Wars shifted from the age of Attack of the Clones (rated PG) to the end of the war.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I didn't think I would, but after finishing the Clone Wars, I actually liked the Bad Batch and wouldn't mind seeing what they're doing in the era between ROTS and ANH.
    I do still stand with the idea that right now, with Rebels, Solo, Rogue One and the upcoming Bad Batch and Kenobi-shows, the era between those two movies is covered enough. Som more pre-prequels could be fun, as we're getting with The High Republic. Old Republic would be great. More post ROTJ.

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's possible the Bad Batch will actually start off with chips activated and working for the Empire. What if they started the show off with them not being good guys? Maybe the arc of season 1 would them having them slowly gain their freedom from their chips and away from the Empire.

Jason

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Fairy tales are supposed to be dark. Kids need to be eased into the horrors of reality so that it doesn't come at them all at once when they hit 13. One thing Lucas can never be accused of is patronising or talking down to his younger audience. Indeed, they're the ones these films and shows were always meant for, first and foremost.

Part of the problem though is that American TV has been especially sanitised over the decades compared to the rest of the world, so anything even slightly mature seems "dark" to US audiences.
    To give an example; I just got through watching 'SDF Macross' for the first time (a rather famous anime from the 80's for those not familiar) and while in some ways it's very much of it's time, it nevertheless tackles some rather mature themes about the horrors of war in a way you never saw in American shows back then and are only just now *starting* to see.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure you can start dealing with some more mature ideas at a fairly young age, but I still don't think I'd be showing the Clone Wars to preschool age kids.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Who said anything about pre-school? SW has always been squarely aimed at the 8-12+ demographic. While it's not inappropriate for under 8's, most simply won't have the attention span for it, so it's moot.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, but that's ok. Largely because parents can be there with them through it.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I let my nephew watch some of Clone Wars with he when he was four. Though he only lasted five minutes before he got bored, got up, told me I should be watching Paw Patrol instead and walked away.

Reverend likes this.
  17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think I first saw a Star Wars movie when I was about 4 or 5. It was Return of the Jedi (recorded off the telly) and I got to just after Luke showed up before I lost interest and went outside to ride on my peddle tractor. I remember asking later if they rescued the green girl from being eaten by the slug man. In the original cut Oola just disappears and the shot immediately cuts to Jabba eating the frog, so my young brain assumed that the frog was Oola and that Jabba ate her.

So yeah, "appropriate for all ages" doesn't mean all ages will want to watch it. There nothing inappropriate about about an educational video about the history of cricket...but good luck expecting a 4 year old to sit still for it...or for a 2 year old to even be aware it's on.

Side note: I wasn't much older when I first saw 'Aliens'. Or rather, the old man had it on and I was thoroughly bored before Sigourney Weaver even woke up. I was about 8 when I saw 'Robocop' (thank's to my much older brother having a pirate copy) and that kept my attention. So that does seem to be about the right age for kids to develop an attention span longer than 5 mins.
    That said, I showed my nieces and nephew 'Spirited Away' when they were variously in the 4-7 range and they were all utterly entranced and *silent* for the entire two hours, to the utter astonishment of their parents!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  18. Ithekro

I think it means you need action and stuff going all over the place (noise) early in the film to get the kids attention. The original film did that with the space battle right at the start followed by the firefight. Its something like ten minutes before its just the droids on Tatooine. I am pretty sure that and the music is what caught kids attention in 1977. I can't exactly claim that. I can claim a movie can mark the baby, as my parents saw Star Wars in a drive in theater about two days before I was born (having been busy preparing the house for my arrival while the film was in regular theaters). I can actually feel some parts of that movie in the back of my head when certain scenes happen. The audio and music from somewhere around the time they arrive on the Death Star to the end of the film, but especially the TIE Fighter battle in the Falcon. Its something else to feel musical cues since you were born.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Up thread someone said it was all ages entertaiment, and usually when I hear all ages, I tend to think of G rated kiddie shows and movies.
    I'm not a parent, but I'd say about 5 or 6 would probably be a good age for most of the OT and PR, and maybe a little older for some of the darker stuff, like ROTS and the later seasons of Clone Wars.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No, all ages just means all ages CAN watch it, not that it's targeted specifically at toddlers.
    Again for anything that's PG it's often not about content, so much as tone and attention span. Kids that young generally won't sit still long enough for a 2 hour movie.

As for RotS specifically: over here that had a 12 certificate for obvious reasons (mostly the burning scene), so hardly relevant. ANH on the other hand, has always be a 'U' (universal) and that movie has both blood and dismemberment.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020