Classic Who on BBC America

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by OmahaStar, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh Well, Part 1. It was on the VHS release, and I miss it in the (first) DVD version, even if it is a totally unnecessary addition! Apparently it was restored for the 2011 re-release.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I remember how disasters were shot on film and converted to video. I would be thinking "this is of footage of the 60's 70's", and yet the disaster just happened. The uncanny valley effect makes Autons among the best villains. I remember an episode of Kolchak with dummies in them. Quite effective.

So what do we think the fourth doctor's story will be?

3. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I don't know, but I'm hoping for 'Terror of the Zygons'. I really, really want 'Genesis of the Daleks', but that won't happen due to it being a six-parter. TotZ is far more likely, but there are other worthy candidates as well. I'm guessing it will be an early Baker story, as opposed to the later years.

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Commodore Commodore

Robots of Death would be my choice.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd wager they might go with Pyramids of Mars or Ark in Space. Actually, they showed Ark in that all too brief point in history BBCA showed classic Who on Saturdays and according to wiki RTD and Moffat say it's a favorite.

6. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I was showing a friend the first 3 Doctors Revisited specials and had a thought... does anyone know if they did any interviews with Docs 4-9 for these? Tennant's been in all of them so far, and now we're going to be up to living actors as the subjects.

Also I imagine they were all in the can when she left, so the talking-head bits here are Skinner's last go-round in Who then, as it were.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

My hope is that it's one I haven't seen. I have seen Pyramids of Mars and City of Death, but the other suggestions here (that seem likely) would be great. Actually, they all would be great even if I have seen them.

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Pyramids was announced weeks ago, as was the DVD release of the first four specials with the corresponding stories.

9. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Damn, I just had Pyramids out from the library not too long ago. I was hoping for a Baker story I hadn't seen, or Zygons.

Still, the stuff before the show will be fun to watch.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Can't wait to see the Tom Baker one. Haven't seen "Pyramids" in ages.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Looks like Tom Baker actually did interviews for the docu, so that'll be cool!

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Oh yes, very cool indeed. I look forward to seeing them.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

That is a must-see for sure. Excellent news!

:techman:

14. Mr. Adventure

Love the Tom Baker clip in the ads: "I didn't play Doctor Who. I was Doctor Who, there was no acting involved."

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I think his favorire curse word is "whippets**t" from at least two sources. I must say I have'nt heard that one before.

He was once sitting across from a table from a person and their little dog, which raved every time someone would insert a finger to make a popping sound with the mouth.

He tried this, and the little dog leaped at him and almost bit his lip off Dolarhyde/Freddy Loundes style.

I seem to remember him playing a blind character in a recent program.
    One last thought about Pertwee. He visited Alabama once--even though we had tornado warnings that day.

I've seen other famous actors, but when Pertwee entered--I was in awe. I have never seen a person sweep into a room and turn it electric before or since. That is power, and so few people have that.

At the time there was this arguement between British and American actors over something (1980s) and I asked him about it, and apologized for the colonies (I forget what it was about now).

16. Mr. Adventure

Tom and Louise look fantastic and quite charming.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

As much as I remember classic Who fondly, the pacing is sooooo slow now that I've seen the modern show.

I think I could only watch selected classic episodes now.

I think Sutekh & Omega might have had the same hat guy.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, remember, these were meant to be watched in 25-minute installments. It seems slow-paced when you watch the whole serial in one go, because of the repetition and recaps and multiple inconclusive climaxes. But I imagine if you only saw one half-hour installment per week, the pace would feel better.

Personally I didn't find "Pyramids of Mars" to be slow-paced at all. It went along rather briskly compared to some, and the strong writing and character moments helped maintain interest.

19. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tom Baker has really mellowed out after all these years. Maybe all the attention on nuWho has finally taken enough pressure off of him so he can feel comfortable these days. Maybe he's just nostalgic. Anyway I'm sick and tired of seeing Moffat (and seeing Skinner is weird after she just quit). Doesn't he have a life outside of Doctor Who. Why wasn't RTD interviewed? He's a bigger fan and "Pyramid on Mars" is his favorite episode.

After watching "Pyramid on Mars" I can't believe I still love it. Yeah it's slow but it's great that it takes the time to put all the pieces together. The ending was Deus Ex but it felt right for the story.

20. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

They did. It was really cool to see them interviewed. I hope that they get both Davison and Sarah Sutton for the pre-show special next month.