Characters who were supposed to end up as more than they were.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Oct 19, 2018.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk needed a better death I grant you but in the Nexus he probably still exists and I was never too clear on how he and Picard just rode out of the Ribbon in the first place!
    JB

2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, sadly I haven't! :sigh:
    JB

3. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Someone here, or over at Jammer's site, mentioned that Kirk's nexus fantasy life would have been a great opportunity for a Joan Collins/Edith Keeler cameo. I think that would have been pretty cool.

4. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about his raktajino business?

5. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Chakotay was supposed to be a far more well-rounded character with a deep Native American background, but instead, he ended up being mostly set dressing with a handful of shitty episodes.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe one could say that the intention with Chakotay was that he was supposed to be more authentically Native American than he turned out to be, but the adviser chosen to act as an expert about Native American culture was unable to facilitate that.

From http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Chakotay:

To find out more about the character's Native American background, the producers enlisted the assistance of Jamake Highwater. (A Vision of the Future - Star Trek: Voyager, p. 199) Around 21 September 1993, he forwarded the producers seven pages of research suggestions concerning Chakotay's background, though one point that remained undecided was the character's tribal ancestry. (A Vision of the Future - Star Trek: Voyager, p. 206) The fact that this had not been identified was noted in the first draft of the series writers' bible, which also named the character "Chakatoy". (A Vision of the Future - Star Trek: Voyager, p. 208)​

From http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jamake_Highwater:

Jamake Highwater (13 February 1931 – 3 June 2001; age 70), born Jackie Marks, served as a consultant on Native American culture to Star Trek: Voyager. Though he claimed American Indian ancestry, he was in fact of Eastern European Jewish background. Highwater was heavily criticized by actual American Indians for his writings, which typically contained stereotypical and inaccurate depictions of Indian culture. (A Vision of the Future - Star Trek: Voyager, p.199)​

J.T.B. likes this.