Chapel Character Teaser

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by JoaquinSlowly, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Alien: Human? I thought you were a Betazoid!

2. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The main difference of course being - being a prequel the show has to awkwardly dance around familiar elements like Romulans, Ferengi, Borg, cloaking technology, the Mirror Universe and everything else that got introduced in the last 50+ years of the Star Trek franchise. ENT had all kinds of problems with that, and that show had way more experienced and accomplished writers.

That's why a show set in the future after VOY would have been preferable. But hopefully SNW can find it's own niche. At least it for now they seem to know what they're going for, though, that's a good sign.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks! I guess the same issue crops up with 5 years' absence. Why is she on the Enterprise if Korby isn't missing yet?

When I say 'just a nurse' I mean from a story perspective. Nurses in Trek have traditionally been used primarily as either background support to the doctor character or used primarily as a love interest for another character (being more prominent in that regard than their job role). Nurses could have been utilised as medical cover on landing parties more often but the doctor character was far more likely to be used in this regard. In Battlestar Galactica, Cassiopeia was used as landing party med tech only once, I think, when she was also a love interest for a guest character. She would have been more interesting if she'd remained a prostitute.

To be honest, making Chapel medical doctor in TMP didn't help her either, since McCoy was already fulfilling that role. It's not so much about being a nurse as being in a role whose niche already belongs to another character. McCoy sums it up in his transporter scene. We just don't need another medical character. It would have been far better to make Dr Chapel a PHD rather than (or in addition to) being an MD so that her input about Ilia can be from the perspective of an expert in cybernetics. In fairness, I don't think it made any real difference in TMP but would be more restrictive as a character in an ongoing series.

4. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chapel: I'm not the Betazoid either, she's with Pike and Starfleet command verifying the legitimacy of his Boreth vision.

nightwind1 likes this.
  5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't believe this is supposed to be the same character that we see in TOS. Alternate Universe or reboot then fine but if this is supposed to be in the same continuity as TOS then what the heck happened to her between shows?

6. Yistaan

I've seen severely traumatic incidents completely alter people's personality from outgoing and engaging to broken and withdrawn (and I've had people argue that something similar has happened to me to be honest). I'm not saying this means definitively that Chapel has some utterly horrific events in store for her in the near future, but if I were the writer and wanted character continuity, well...

Also: Roger Korby | Memory Alpha | Fandom

Saul likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Better writing and acting.

Muji, Sci and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  8. Nerys Myk

She was replaced by a damp piece of carboard and had her personality removed.

777 likes this.
  9. Yistaan

Chapel demanded that Spock mind meld with her over his own objections, and she was never the same after that.

Saul likes this.
  10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

She got engaged.:whistle:

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  11. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Either she overdosed on the hair styling machine or there was an ice cream related incident.

Saul likes this.
  12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um... We're talking about Christine Chapels hair, not Christopher Pike's. ;)

Saul and Pauln6 like this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trauma? Fear over losing her fiance? People are not static.

Sci likes this.
  14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not happening.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Way more experienced and accomplished writers?" Excuse me?

SNW co-creator Akiva Goldsman is the recipient of the 2001 Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay and 2001 Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay for A Beautiful Mind. He is also a nominee for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts's 2001 Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for A Beautiful Mind and 2005 Award for Best Original Screenplay for Million Dollar Baby

Co-creator Jenny Lumet is the recipient of the 2008 New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Screenplay, the 2008 Toronto Film Critics Association Award for Best Screenplay, the 2008 Utah Film Critics Association Award for Best Screenplay, the 2008 Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Award for Best Original Screenplay, and the 2009 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Writing in a Motion Picture, all for Rachel Getting Married.

Goldsman's career has spanned almost thirty years, encompassing 20 motion pictures as writer, director, or producer; 23 films as producer; and six television series, including the critically-acclaimed cult hit Fringe. Lumet's career as a writer and producer has encompassed five television series and two feature films.

Kurtzman, meanwhile, has had a career encompassing 15 television series and 12 feature films as a writer or director, and five feature films and seven television series as producer, across 25 years.

The creators of Star Trek: Enterprise, by contrast, were Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Braga had worked on exactly two television series before ENT -- TNG and VOY -- and had written or co-written three films -- GEN, FC, and a story credit on Mission Impossible 2. His career at the time ENT premiered was only 11 years old. Berman had co-created DS9 and VOY and had worked as a producer on TNG; before TNG, he had been a producer on The Big Blue Marble in 1981, a production assistant on Re-Animator in 1985, and a camera assistant on a 1975 documentary entitled How to Say 'No' to a Rapist... And Survive.

By any reasonable standard, the creators of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds are more accomplished and more experienced than the creators of Star Trek: Enterprise.

... because she wants a career of her own? Duh?

The fact that old ST shows propped up implicitly misogynistic professional disrespect for a female-dominated nursing field, is not a good reason for SNW to do the same.

:wtf:

What?

Why, because she gets to have a personality for more than four cumulative minutes of screentime?

777, Muji, GNDN18 and 2 others like this.
  16. Serveaux

Yeah but Goldman has written some terrible shit.

Rahul likes this.
  17. Nerys Myk

Are we seriously complaining that a one note, paper thin character is getting development?

PT109, 777, CorporalCaptain and 2 others like this.
  18. Serveaux

Well, I'm not sure it's plural.

Muji and Nerys Myk like this.
  19. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

I think my only issue is that they're giving a one note paper thin character development... in a prequel. They're pulling a reverse O'Brien.

20. Nerys Myk

Not seeing why that would be an issue.

FederationHistorian and Sci like this.