CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

Yup. Didn't say it was a good argument. :hugegrin:

KennyB likes this.
  2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Oh, no... I didn't think... I just... I just can't EVEN with these guys...
    Maybe all the mercury in the sushi went to their head.

RCAM and KennyB like this.
  3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Well, I managed to get banned from the Axanar fan group for pointing out that there is a difference between not making a profit and being a non-profit. I was told if I wanted to bitch I could do that somewhere else. My reply that pointing out facts was not bitching was the last straw. Ah well, I guess I just joined a very distinguished group.

Lynsioux, dmac, Philip Guyott and 2 others like this.
  4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Well maybe for other expenses, but pro badges are complimentary. At least for folks like RMB, who has actual credits. I don't know about Peters, however. Although, it'd make me sick if he got a pro badge.

Karzak and dmac like this.
  5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Holy crap. Is RMB really going to say, film Axanar, then bookend it with a documentary about the lawsuit and then try and claim the Axanar film now falls under 'fair use' because it's part of said documentary? If so, the man has really gone off the deep end as you can bet that will not fly in a court. Now, as he was never named as a 'Doe' in the Axanar lawsuit, technically, I guess he can do what he wants; BUT in the end, if the Axanar feature film (or major parts thereof) end up in the documentary, it's a pretty safe bet hell get sued himself by CBS and or Paramount, and we'll go through this whole circus again.

I really have to wonder if Justin Lin/JJ Abrams is aware of the situation and now really regret making statements in support of the Axanar lawsuit "...going away..." At this point, if it's not clear to a majority of Star Trek fans WHY these monumental idiots of Axanar (Alec Peters and Robert Meyer Burnett) got their production sued; or why C/P should fully prosecute their copyright infringement case, go through the trial and bankrupt Axanar, then Star Trek fandom as a whole is in a VERY sad state. After something like this, C/P should just walk out of any settlement talks with a "See you all at your depositions, and in Trial in January..."

At this point, all I can say is: WTF?!:wtf:

Lynsioux likes this.
  6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Tell that to GRRM.

And whatever CBS/Paramount are defending with the guidelines, They. Have. The. ABSOLUTE. Right. To. Do .It. We. Do. Not. Have. Any. Right. To. Bitch. About. It.

7. asurob

asurob Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is precisely what needs to happen.

8. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm..I think The Fetish People™ are gonna have some copyright© issues with this scene.

Plus, PG-13 is going to be a Reach...

9. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People asked why the fan film guidelines had to be so draconian This is why.. Look who C/P is dealing with. Something tells me this kickstarter for the documentary won't be under the 50k threshold.

10. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty much what the whole Axanar project has been for Alec........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Lynsioux and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

I'm actually mildly impressed you managed to not get banned for this long. I only survived a few hours after our statement came out.

Amaris and MikeH92467 like this.
  12. cultcross

cultcross The Slay of the Doctor Moderator

Maybe that's what your sense of fairness says - I think it's entirely fair that we don't force people who own intellectual property to bankrupt themselves defending it, or lose it. It would basically mean that you could control any IP you wanted by making enough infractions to overwhelm the resources of the owner to defend it. Easy to side with the little guy against the big corporation, but apply the morals to those who don't have billions of dollars - artists, authors, cartoonists, small publishers, etc. Even a mega corporation like Disney would struggle to enforce every copyright violation out there for its properties.

RCAM, fireproof78, Pindar and 4 others like this.
  13. MikeH92467

He probably knows who you are. I doubt if he knows who I am. :)

Amaris and Wowbagger like this.
  14. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

So....I presume the Axanar folks deny that they were trying to create a for profit studio off the back of the Star Trek name. What are they saying to "debunk" this claim?

15. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Everybody else created a studio as well and let others use it. "everybody else did it" is the company line.

Makes me wonder how many fan films he's going to throw under the bus in his documentary.

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Sure. I will. He's wrong. Got an email address?

I. Am. Not. Bitching. About. It. I. Agree. I. Am. Correcting. Your. Information. Because. It. Is. Wrong.

Firebird, Amaris and QuantumMechanic like this.
  17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about, out of the pool of high profile projects that are well-known to CBS/P, for them to target some while giving a free-pass to others, all the while holding out official guidelines that are supposed to apply to all. If all things were equal (no crowdfunding or other shenanigans to muddy the waters), what would be fair would be an all or nothing policy, not for CBS/P to quietly play favorites.

18. MikeH92467

Alec claims he hasn't made a profit (however he defines 'profit') so that makes him a "non-profit". It was when I pointed out for the second time to one of his followers that just because you don't make a profit, doesn't make you a "non-profit". He got involved when I pointed out that he is not registered as a 501c(3) and the Axanite that I was engaged said that if that was the case "somebody fucked up" since he has people working with him who know better. I guess that was a little too close to actually acknowledging that Alec might not be quite leveling with his fans.

19. MikeH92467

I really don't think that there's anything unfair about favoring those who try to play by the rules over those who publicly, loudly and obnoxiously flaunt them. :shrug:

ETA: apologies for the double post.

20. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Christ. They're actually going to Kickstart a documentary about this entire debacle? Are they out of their gorram minds? Oh, wait, yes they are.

Man, Peters really is Garth of Izar.

F. King Daniel and Pindar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.