CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

79 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Yes, savory, please

42 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Yes, any kind

78 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

36 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A picture speaks a thousand words. :techman:

[​IMG]

Admiral2 likes this.
  2. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

I'm not a fan of the command dais as it feels a bit too Imperial/Klingon for me. Visually I'd have preferred it to be one step down. That second step just doesn't work for me.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

LFIM needs his throne from which to rule over his loyal followers.
    Damn, that is a whole lot of money being wasted on something that's never actually going to be used for anything. I had just assumed those were all just backlit plexiglass or whatever.

Jedi_Master, Admiral2 and Markonian like this.
  4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's the same height as Kirk's chair, except that on the Enterprise that lower step extended forward and was where the Helm/Nav console was mounted.
    The lack of that integration does make him look more Kruge-like

Admiral2 and dmac like this.
  5. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Doesn't look like much room for the communications officer to fit behind him either. Maybe it is just the angle.

dmac likes this.
  6. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

I never consciously noted that combined step for the Kirk/Chekov/Sulu. If they had done that it would have been fine. It's just the two steps together for the captain's chair alone that gives off a pyramid impression.
    [​IMG]

jespah likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That step also brings them level with the ring around the edge of the bridge, the Axanar steps bring the captain up slightly higher than the ring.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Because Enterprise.

As to the control surfaces: now that I've seen the backside of the set it's apparent they're artwork backlit by florescent light tubes.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like a set from Babylon 5 in Star Trek drag.

Admiral2 and Jedi_Master like this.
  10. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

To be fair, they have three people sitting in front of the center seat. They're just not all side-by-side together.

dmac likes this.
  11. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Queen to Queen's level three.
    When I first broke into fan films Randy Landers taught me a lot about fan films.
    We probably all start out with this epic story rolling around in our heads, delivered by seasoned actors on a multi million dollar stage. Sell that one to Paramount, it will never be a fan film.
    I'm just guessing but there may be a reason the word fan is found in Fan Films, as in made by fans.
    We may not have a multi thousand dollar stage but it was created by fans that built it, write stories for it and many times play a role on the very stage they helped create. The real plus is that it's a working stage where content is continually being created.
    Looking at that Ares set, who wouldn't want to create an epic tale on that stage?
    But them again it's getting driven in a Rolls by the estate's staff to daycare. Simply overkill for a fan film.

DrCorby likes this.
  12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, it's the captain that is level with the outer ring, even on the Ares. The helm/nav is one step down from the outer ring.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the bridge looks cool, aside from the helm console, which doesn't fit the aesthetic. It's like it came from the Defiant or another ship from a different era.

I love the new side consoles, they are a cool TOSified version of the USS Kelvin/Reboot Enterprise's extra consoles and fill that empty space perfectly.

I'd be curious how it would look with darker USS Kelvin lighting, because I suspect the result would be surprisingly similar.
    [​IMG]

Such a shame, with someone else in charge and a good feature script, Axanar might have been fun.

dmac and KennyB like this.
  14. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

So very true. I remember when Prelude first came out, I was looking forward to the full film.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    MikeH92467 and KennyB like this.
  15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

True. I addressed that. ;)

Facetiousness aside, it strikes me as a combination of trying to look more primitive in two different ways, by having less in one area and more in others.

I really don't like the stations on the railing like that. It looks like it's trying too hard to be a Connie bridge but Moar Primitive.

Still, it looks good in that it's well executed. It looks more than sufficient to make a fan film with, if it's their intention to make a fan film at all.

16. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Fair assessment -
    1) A solidly designed and conceived bridge set. It looks like a lot of fun to play around on, and it will be nice to see what it looks like in the event it is ever finished.
    2) The Axacon event looked like a fun tribute to Prelude and the few stars willing to still be associated with production.

Honest assessment
    1) The bridge won't ever be used, is kept in a location that can't be used, owned by a man who didn't design it, doesn't maintain it, and won't finish it...
    2) Axacon was a last gasp of a small group of fans of whom collectively lack any talent that can be applied to actually finishing Axanar Lite, OR converting the bridge set into a usable format (in other words, not IP based)

wtriker1701, Squiggy, Campe and 2 others like this.
  17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

IDK - for that to have effectively cost $2 million and change, it's not all that impressive.

I will give props to the set designer as it is interesting with the two console station in the front on the Helm/Navigation stations. They did some nice 1960ies style platic graphics overlays. That said, given the size/layout of the 'above the head' screens they look more advanced then what we'd see on the 101 Bridge (what - 20 years?) later.

For all the hate they spew on other CBS productions about the sets looking 'too advanced for near pre-TOS era' - Peters seems to be doing the same thing here in that aspect. Hilarious taht he now says he doesn't know if the set will be used in his two 15 minute segments of 'Axanar' (assuming of course he ever actually does get around to you know, ACTUALLY filming, editing and finishing it.

wtriker1701, jespah and Admiral2 like this.
  18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Thank god I'm not the only one who noticed!

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

But it IS being used for something...

...spite.

Admiral2 likes this.
  20. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

Hey, remember the "Axanar Marines"? I wonder how many of them are left? And have they gone down in history as the most useless military-ish organization since the Mongolian Navy? (Mongolia is, of course, landlocked)

Campe, Jedi_Master and Admiral2 like this.